E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st month as a BMW owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 03:56 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 525i with winter package
Default 1st month as a BMW owner

Hi all. I just passed my first month as a first time BMW owner. I picked up a 2007 525i w/ winter package.

The body and interior are in very nice shape. Coming from two SAABS this car I so much nicer in general. It's so fun to drive and is comfortable.

I have three things bugging me:

1. Just before I come to a complete stop the transmission lets go abruptly and the car lurches forward. I assume I'll at least need to change the trans fluid (at 118K on the odo) and filter for starters.

2. The oil level pickup isn't reading right. Had me panicked when I first changed my oil reading very low even though it read fine right after I changed it. Not leaking a drop. I picked up a new one I'll be installing this weekend.

3. The CD player in the dash acts like it's reading but no sound comes out. Radio and AUX work fine. Is there a known fix for it? I saw something about a reset but that was for no working sound at all.

I hope to learn and contribute to this forum as long as I own this car.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 284 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

To respond to your issues.

1. It is common in all E60s. Do a search on the forum (DIY section) and you will find how to fix it. It will usually be on the first page of the section. A post by KyleB

2. Are you saying that the oil was reading right after the oil change if so then there is no issue with it. Maybe someone did not put the correct amount of oil in the engine.

3. It could be that the CD player is broke. Did you ask the last owner or dealership you bought it from? Is the CD player option showing up on the iDrive. Is the iDrive saying it is playing a CD and you are just not hearing it? Did you choose the CD option on the iDrive after you put it in? The only reset/reboot I know is pressing the mute/power button and eject buttons at the same time. It has save me a few times maybe it will work for you.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: '07 525i with winter package

Thanks for the advice! I normally search forums before I ask but I figured I'd mention these issues in case it is a common one and don't have to get too worried.

I'll look for that trans fix.

I'm 100% sure I put the correct amount of oil in - aprx. 6.9 quarts. Initially read full but that night when I drove it back home it read nearly empty. I put a quart in and it showed about in the middle. No sign of leakage, hasn't budged on the reading since then (about 1 1/2 weeks now).

I'll try that for the CD player. It looks like it's running through the tracks. Shows the time into it and how many tracks there are. Just zero audio.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

You probably want to do a transmission reset. IIRC you put it in position 2, and hold accelerator down for 25 seconds. Position 2 does NOT have the engine on. It will relearn the transmission, also check to see if there is a sprint booster installed. It remaps the throttle and is a device near the pedal.