DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CIC Navigation and Combox for the E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by BLooD
If you ever get the error "faulty best description" or some thing like that all you need to do is grab a progman v32 set and copy the .prg files from progman to your ediabas ECU folder and it will be sorted.
I think some modules didn't get an update after v32 or ever earlier and this is what causes that error.
Actually its the opposite.

What happened was that .prg files were updated which are not recognised by the older EDIABAS. So you can solve this by two methods. Either downgrade the affected .prg files to the V32 versions, or upgrade EDIABAS.

The problem is that the new EDIABAS doesn't work with the older PROGMAN.

Also the COMBOX is also quite easy. Yes all you need is a .ssd file set-up as a E90 with the relevant VO and then code the Combox and CIC. Then manually change the CIC to make it a E60.

What you need as the final piece is a working Progman set-up that allows you to import an FSC into the system. Then you don't need the hardware module as well.

There is bound to be an application that generates these FSC codes because the guy who sells it to you for 100USD must be getting it for nothing.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I'm in the same boat with you on the voice activation.

After my CCC apps didn't complete the firmware update, I spent a bunch of time with Tool32 and got it working again but no voice control

This forum is much better about sharing and cooperation - I hate the nonsense I read on some of the others.

-Jim
Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Jim you should head over to BMW coding forum, all you get there is doods boasting about what they can do giving childish sarcastic remarks when you ask for help.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 525xi Alpine White

So I figured I would start with some bits and pieces that I can recall off the top of my head until I get other things organized and take screenshots since it's been a little busy here. I'd like to make a PDF once I have it all in one place too for clarity.

-----
Before you can see the CIC you'll need to change your vehicle order to tell it that your car is a newer model. It should be the first entry when you hit the FA button and will have a # in front of it. Just change this to #0910 to tell the car it was built in the 9th month of 2010. You cant just pick any date since only some are used. (This is more complicated once the combox idea comes in). Also add $609 to tell it that premium navigation is there and you should be able to see these as options to code.

First is the language issue. If you got it from somewhere other than the US the CIC will obviously not be correct for your car. This is a simple fix with NCS expert. I think that even if you dont have any clue about coding and are willing to take a little time to get a working setup that doing this yourself is more than worth it. In the end you'll know how to change this and any other value not only in the CIC but the whole car. Its very straight forward and is based on the language parameters, this is what mine are now:

LANGUAGE_1_3
english_us
LANGUAGE_10
nicht_aktiv
LANGUAGE_11
nicht_aktiv
LANGUAGE_12
nicht_aktiv

I was wondering if I should post this or not but I still saw people having trouble with it and thought I would just to cover everything. I've also attached my entire CIC trace file as it is currently along with a file with all possible values/changes you can make to it. You cant go wrong if you change something aktiv or nicht_aktiv or any wert value, you arent going to hurt the car. Many of the ones youll see in mine arent right yet since I've been playing with it a lot.

I know I'm jumping around a little but part numbers are also an issue it seems. The main one for me was the combox. I got the media version (versus telematics) since I dont need any of the assist features so I cant say much about that side of it. The combox media part numbers is 84109257160 and cost me $250.88 exactly. Ask around and see if someplace can order it for you, it wont take long to get a parts seller who will. If anyone wants to know the part numbers for the usb cable and pin connecters I can dig that up too, I just cant seem to find it now.

If you are planning on cutting your center console to fit the new controller, get the frame piece with part number 51169169999. It should be about $26 and is from the 6 series.

After you install the CIC it should work fine, but you might want the VIN from it. to order an FSC code for the map update. You can get this by using tool32. If you have NCS expert and its working you most likely already have this but may have never used it. Just open it and then click file-open and find the cic group files. There will be three that are relevant - cic.prg cicr.prg and cic_hd.prg. I cant remember exactly which one has what youll want since I'm not in the car now but it will only take a second to check. Look for something like 'fg_nr lesen' in the list and double click it. You'll see some stuff info come up in the other window, one of which is the last 7 of the VIN number - thats all you need. Keep in mind I'm not exactly sure if thats the right menu item to double click for it, dont go wild in here since some things can be changed that you might not want to. However 'lesen' means read and wont change anything. I'll edit the post if this turns out to not be the right one but you can try other lesen commands to find it in the meantime.

-----
Bruce - about the ssd file, I never actually created one on my computer as a real .ssd physical file. This might be why the combox wasnt working great for me. What I did was play with the ncs profile options and turn some of the tracing off (attached) and was able to change my VO to an e90 and then have it as a module option. I can read it, code it, etc but it's still not all there. I'm not certain how to create an actual ssd that's on my computer, any direction on that?

Also you said you know how the CAN filters work. I bought one and know WHAT it does, but not HOW it does it. I got a CAN bus programmer board too and plan on putting it in the middle to find out what's really going on. Any insight on this would be intersting too.
-----

Anyways this post is getting a little long and I've been writing forever. I'm sure this is very basic for a lot of you, but I hope I at least helped one person so far. I'm just going off random things that I can think of right now since I wanted to get the ball rolling. I have a ton more to write about and still need to take some screenshots. The info on this could fill a book and this certainly isnt even the start of what I have thoughts on.

I wish I could win the lottery too, then I could just buy a new car and not have to worry about this...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Attached Files
File Type: txt
cic 5-21-11.trc.txt (11.4 KB, 1443 views)
File Type: txt
DATEN-CIC.C0A-ModuleFunctions.txt (288.8 KB, 1086 views)
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Nice job dood very nice
Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Attached is an .ssd file (rename to *.ssd) that will allow you to read the COMBOX right away without any changes.

If you've never used a ssd file before.
1. In NCS after you choose the Profile, click the VIN button.
2. Then instead of clicking the ZCS button you choose "Open File".
3. Then point to your ssd file. That will fool NCS into thinking the car is anything with any VO. Basically does not look at the car.
4. Click the back button and now you are in the normal NCS except its using a different car/vin/vo to what you have. In that list you will see the MEDIA ecu listed.

You may actually want to create a better ssd file and that is simple too. Just grap the normal fa.trc when you connect using NCSExpert and then modify the attached ssd file.

This method avoids you having to change the actual VO or date on the car at all.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Attached is an .ssd file (rename to *.ssd) that will allow you to read the COMBOX right away without any changes.

If you've never used a ssd file before.
1. In NCS after you choose the Profile, click the VIN button.
2. Then instead of clicking the ZCS button you choose "Open File".
3. Then point to your ssd file. That will fool NCS into thinking the car is anything with any VO. Basically does not look at the car.
4. Click the back button and now you are in the normal NCS except its using a different car/vin/vo to what you have. In that list you will see the MEDIA ecu listed.

You may actually want to create a better ssd file and that is simple too. Just grap the normal fa.trc when you connect using NCSExpert and then modify the attached ssd file.

This method avoids you having to change the actual VO or date on the car at all.
This is how Patryk configure the CIC using NCSexpert ,,
Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 525xi Alpine White

Awesome Bruce, I knew there was a better way to do it. I might have missed the attachment for the ssd file though,
Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Slyncka
Awesome Bruce, I knew there was a better way to do it. I might have missed the attachment for the ssd file though,
A.SSD.media.telematic.txt
Old 05-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Interesting, I am subscribing in case I decide to do CIC, lol.

Quick Reply: CIC Navigation and Combox for the E60