DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing original steering wheel to sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 2004

I did all as was in tutorial, but airbag write me fault! Horn is working, remote also, but airbag icon blinking that there is fault, I do not know why :-( please help

Last edited by ozracing; 02-02-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i SMG

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the top pin, where you put the m5 bolt, just interfaces that little spring loaded slide in the clock spring. I think the slides only purpose is to prevent the clock spring from rotating (and messing up) when you remove the wheel. If that's the case, we might be able to get away with not doing the m5 bolt at all as I think the lower plastic guide will ensure the clock spring rotates with the wheel. As long as you or the next person is careful and doesn't let the clock spring rotate after taking off the wheel.

*EDIT* I just finished my install, and although what i said above is true (as far as i know), i still recommend people put the m5 bolt in just to be safe. This was probably the easiest part of the conversion anyway - measure, drill and tap a single hole.

Last edited by stylinmike; 07-02-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Klepper
Did your original steering wheel have the heating option, and if yes, does that feature work with the new wheel?
Just for future people's information regarding heated lci wheels (I just finished doing this):

The LCI (actually, 05+) heated steering wheel and the pre-lci steering wheel have the same number of wires - (2x) for the thermistor, (1) 12v+ and (1) Ground. However, the plugs do not match up so you will need to take the pins out and get the appropriate harness from BMW. As well, the thermistor (see explanation below) is a different size so you will need to cut the leather back on your old wheel (assuming you already had heat) and cut out the old thermistor, then hot glue it into the new wheel by pulling the leather back slightly on the bottom. Cut the leads off from the thermistor that came with the new wheel, you cant use them. If you are coming from non-heat pre-lci and going to heated lci, you will need to somehow source a properly sized thermistor. This will be difficult to do, unless you have some way of knowing what the original pre-lci thermistor size/value is (I didnt see it on WDS)

Further Info: A thermistor is basically just a tiny resistor that changes resistance as it heats up. Its wired to the car and, based on how much resistance the car senses on the wires, it can tell how hot the wheel is. Its basically a tiny little electrical thermometer that tells the car when to turn on and off the heating element to maintain a certain temperature.

I would also like to confirm that an LCI wheel will work with a pre-lci round air bag and pre-lci airbag mounting plate. This makes the electrical much easier as far as the airbag goes.

Last edited by stylinmike; 07-02-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ozracing
I did all as was in tutorial, but airbag write me fault! Horn is working, remote also, but airbag icon blinking that there is fault, I do not know why :-( please help
You didnt disconnect the battery before removing the air bag. You will need someone with INPA to read and clear your airbag code.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Sport, Premium, Comfort Access

I have a 2008 535i with the Sport package, but not the Sport Auto transmission, so I don't have the paddle shifters on my steering wheel. Is it possible to add fumctioning paddle shifters?

I took my steering wheel off last night to fix some cosmetic damage to the trim, and I noted there was an unused plug on the steering column just under the plug for the steering wheel control button. I'm sure that's where the harness from paddle shifters would normally plug in.

Anyone have any experience?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 2004

Hi all,
included my connection, I did all what was in manual on page 2, horn is working, but airbag is still faulty. I tried delete this airbag error via diagnostics, but after this it display the same error that airbag is faulty. What I have wrong connected?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Changing original steering wheel to sport-1_image.jpg   Changing original steering wheel to sport-2_image.jpg   Changing original steering wheel to sport-image.jpg  
Old 05-21-2015, 02:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

I'm looking to do the same thing. Can you shed any light on how you did it and where did you relocate the steering wheel module?

C.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Senior Members

Props to the OP for his contribution, I'm going to be attempting this mod I the coming weeks because I finally gave up and just purchased a post 09/05 wheel. The pre 09/05 wheel are nearly impossible to find and if you do they are extremely expensive. I have been advised not to do this mod because it's a total PITA relocating the wiring inthe center spoke. After reading the directions I feel like I can do it, however I wish the directions were a bit more specific on certain steps to those who have completed this mod. Please post tips and helpful advice. I imagine the issues that I'm unclear on will become more clear once I get the original wheel off but I'd love some more details on relocating the electronics into the spoke what methods did you use. Also some more details on switching the airbag wires and routing the ground wire. Really any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on redoing this diy to make it easier for those who plan on doing it in the future as well.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:34 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E70 X5M
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by spediegunz
Props to the OP for his contribution, I'm going to be attempting this mod I the coming weeks because I finally gave up and just purchased a post 09/05 wheel. The pre 09/05 wheel are nearly impossible to find and if you do they are extremely expensive. I have been advised not to do this mod because it's a total PITA relocating the wiring inthe center spoke. After reading the directions I feel like I can do it, however I wish the directions were a bit more specific on certain steps to those who have completed this mod. Please post tips and helpful advice. I imagine the issues that I'm unclear on will become more clear once I get the original wheel off but I'd love some more details on relocating the electronics into the spoke what methods did you use. Also some more details on switching the airbag wires and routing the ground wire. Really any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on redoing this diy to make it easier for those who plan on doing it in the future as well.
Did you managed to complete yours?
As I understand from all posts only horn wires need modification, air bags wires don't need to be touched.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:38 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535XI
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

"08 535xi"

DONE.
Attached Thumbnails Changing original steering wheel to sport-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Kewill0360; 03-31-2016 at 03:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing original steering wheel to sport