DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing original steering wheel to sport

Old 06-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530iA E60

Hi,

I bought new sport steering wheel with SMG paddles and round airbag module form ebay. I was hoping that it would be just "plug and play" to change it but for some reason it was not.

First of all the background of the new steering wheel is different than in original and I doubt whether it fits to steering wheel axle.

New and original airbag modules have exactly the same kind of plugs, so I assume that airbag module is correct for my car. But the new steering wheel doesn?t have any socket for this airbag module. How come, am I missing something here? Is there some new wiring needed also?

Original steering wheel have small "blackbox" (sticker says it is PC/ABS) inside which have couple of sockets and one of those is for airbag module, but new steering wheel doesn?t have this kind of "blackbox" and it is not possible to install this box from old to new steering wheel because there is no space for that and also other sockets in are different in new steering wheel.

I hope that somebody could understund above text and able to help with this case since I spend lot of money to new steering wheel which suppose to be suitable my car but now I feel that it is not for my car.

My car is 530i 2003. Here are couple of pictures of new steering wheel and airbag module. One more thing; in one of the wires in the steering wheel there is sticker which says BMW e63...

Best regards,
- THe -
Attached Thumbnails Changing original steering wheel to sport-img_0197_pieni.jpg   Changing original steering wheel to sport-img_0198_pieni.jpg   Changing original steering wheel to sport-img_0199_pieni.jpg  
Old 06-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi T_He,
The steering wheel in the pic is for car built down to 09/05. You should buy steering wheel look like the one on the left

Changing original steering wheel to sport-gallery_3016_794_90253.jpg

Best Regards,

Fred
Old 06-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Members

My Ride: Audi Q7 S-Line full full full

Originally Posted by T_He' post='294569' date='Jun 8 2006, 08:15 PM
Hi,

I bought new sport steering wheel with SMG paddles and round airbag module form ebay. I was hoping that it would be just "plug and play" to change it but for some reason it was not.

First of all the background of the new steering wheel is different than in original and I doubt whether it fits to steering wheel axle.

New and original airbag modules have exactly the same kind of plugs, so I assume that airbag module is correct for my car. But the new steering wheel doesn?t have any socket for this airbag module. How come, am I missing something here? Is there some new wiring needed also?

Original steering wheel have small "blackbox" (sticker says it is PC/ABS) inside which have couple of sockets and one of those is for airbag module, but new steering wheel doesn?t have this kind of "blackbox" and it is not possible to install this box from old to new steering wheel because there is no space for that and also other sockets in are different in new steering wheel.

I hope that somebody could understund above text and able to help with this case since I spend lot of money to new steering wheel which suppose to be suitable my car but now I feel that it is not for my car.

My car is 530i 2003. Here are couple of pictures of new steering wheel and airbag module. One more thing; in one of the wires in the steering wheel there is sticker which says BMW e63...

Best regards,
- THe -
I did exactly the same mistake, I bought a new M-steering wheel from a 2006 to my 2004.
Couldn?t install it. Sorry! I have new 2006 M-steering wheel for sale!!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='294609' date='Jun 8 2006, 10:58 PM
Hi T_He,
The steering wheel in the pic is for car built down to 09/05. You should buy steering wheel look like the one on the left

Attachment 20240
Best Regards,

Fred
Hi Fred,

That?s what I was afraid of...Do you know is there any possible way to install this steering wheel to my car? for example by changing parts around the steering wheel axle or something like that?

How about airbag module; is there any difference before 09/2005 and after?

Br,
- THe -
Old 06-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Hi THe,
What's airbag part number you have there? Please let me know, so I can find out for you.

Best Regards,
Fred
Old 06-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='294640' date='Jun 8 2006, 11:44 PM
Hi THe,
What's airbag part number you have there? Please let me know, so I can find out for you.

Best Regards,
Fred
Hi Fred,

Here is the airbag part number: 32346772989

I checked it from realoem that this airbag is also from 09/2005 onwards and ther is different part number for airbag up to 09/2005. But still I?m wondering whether there is any difference between those since the plug of this new airbag is exactly the same as in my original hexagon airbag.

But if you can find more info about that, please let me know.

Br,
- THe -
Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by M530DT' post='294614' date='Jun 8 2006, 11:09 PM
I did exactly the same mistake, I bought a new M-steering wheel from a 2006 to my 2004.
Couldn?t install it. Sorry! I have new 2006 M-steering wheel for sale!!
Hi,

Good news! I installed 2006 SMG sport steering wheel with new airbag module to my 2003 530i, eventhough it was suppose to be impossible according to my local dealer and comments received from this forum.

It requires some modifications but it is possible and everything works just fine, no problems. I will put detailed step by step instructions with pictures when I have more time, but meanwhile here is the end result.

Best regards,
- Tommi
Attached Thumbnails Changing original steering wheel to sport-picture_184_pieni.jpg  
Old 06-11-2006, 03:37 AM
Members

hmm .. iv done a little machnine grinding and welding so i dont think it would be to hard .. ( im guessing) to install it .. you could grind some steal into the rite shape and weld it on .. ofcourse its harder than what it sounds like ...
Old 06-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by T_He' post='295806' date='Jun 11 2006, 04:20 AM
Hi,

Good news! I installed 2006 SMG sport steering wheel with new airbag module to my 2003 530i, eventhough it was suppose to be impossible according to my local dealer and comments received from this forum.

It requires some modifications but it is possible and everything works just fine, no problems. I will put detailed step by step instructions with pictures when I have more time, but meanwhile here is the end result.

Best regards,
- Tommi
Does the SMG Paddle Shifts work?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='295944' date='Jun 11 2006, 09:46 PM
Does the SMG Paddle Shifts work?
SMG paddles doesn?t work yet, since I haven?t bought that kit from you.

Br,
- THe -

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing original steering wheel to sport