DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Adding speed camera POI to your SatNav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mathmos' post='284971' date='May 19 2006, 09:47 PM
Good luck !
Hmmm... I think I'm gonna need it!

When I go to "Speed Cameras" it says "List is Empty".

I THOUGHT I followed all the steps. The Perl compilation seems happy, producing the url and idx files.

Ah well... I may try again!

ABC
Old 05-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='285009' date='May 19 2006, 11:16 PM
Hmmm... I think I'm gonna need it!

When I go to "Speed Cameras" it says "List is Empty".

I THOUGHT I followed all the steps. The Perl compilation seems happy, producing the url and idx files.

Ah well... I may try again!

ABC
If you want to send me the url and idx file that you created along with the eng.lsc file I don't mind checking them for you. Check your PMs.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

mathmos, thanks for the fantastic instructions.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='285183' date='May 20 2006, 09:10 AM
mathmos, thanks for the fantastic instructions.
your welcome. Any problems feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help you out. It is far more straightforward than it might initially seem, honest
Old 05-20-2006, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mathmos' post='285151' date='May 20 2006, 07:34 AM
If you want to send me the url and idx file that you created along with the eng.lsc file I don't mind checking them for you. Check your PMs.
Thank you for all your help. I now have a working system based on the 06-2 DVD.

ABC
Old 05-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I can browse the DVD in windows. Is there anything special with the format? Just wondering if it's possible to just copy the data off the DVD, make the changes, then burn a data DVD. I'm just wondering if it's necessary to decrypt the DVD to an ISO image, or is that simply the way you did it.

ENG.LSC seems to open OK in Wordpad. What problem did you have when you tried it?

BTW, my DVD is titled CD_5302. Anyone know if there's any significance to the name?
Old 05-20-2006, 04:55 AM
Contributors

I can browse the DVD in windows. Is there anything special with the format? Just wondering if it's possible to just copy the data off the DVD, make the changes, then burn a data DVD. I'm just wondering if it's necessary to decrypt the DVD to an ISO image, or is that simply the way you did it.
You can certainly try that way and see if it works for you. I just couldn't get it to work that way, the DVD appearing to work but would always display 'No entries' whenever I tried to display any information. I worked my way through 30+ DVDs before I finally come up with a method that worked for me!

Try it and see

ENG.LSC seems to open OK in Wordpad. What problem did you have when you tried it?
Both notepad and Wordpad will open and edit the files but the resulting files will not work on the NAV DVD if you use them. As I understand it it is to do with how those apps deal with line terminations, they produce lines terminated CR LF instead of lines terminated LF.

BTW, my DVD is titled CD_5302. Anyone know if there's any significance to the name?
You have the 2006-02 NAV DVD. There are a couple of new sections in the eng.lsc file that also need updating in addition to the ones mentioned previously however they are easy to spot. It's just a case of working your way through each of the new sections and copying then renaming as required.

If you really get stuck just shout and I'll show you what I mean.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

I'm curious to see what you can and can't do. Happy to "waste" a few DVDs in the learnign process, but also keen to learn from what you've already found out. I wondered if you'd already done some trial/error investigations of your own, or just went straight to editing an ISO image.

I'll use your suggestions. Off to buy a copy of UltraISO and subscribe to the GPS DB site...

Looks easy enough to create a new group, perhaps. I might have a play around with that. Not yet looked at where I'd prefer the stuff to appear in the menus. I'm also thinking about how to have different icons for fixed, mobile, and other cameras. I've heard that some GPS will show the different types. I'll let you know how I get on with that.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='285230' date='May 20 2006, 02:04 PM
I'm also thinking about how to have different icons for fixed, mobile, and other cameras. I've heard that some GPS will show the different types. I'll let you know how I get on with that.
Been there tried that AFAIAA you can't do this with the BMW system. Well you could but you would only be able to display one set of camera types at a time unfortunately.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mathmos' post='285231' date='May 20 2006, 02:11 PM
Been there tried that AFAIAA you can't do this with the BMW system. Well you could but you would only be able to display one set of camera types at a time unfortunately.
Oh yes, I forgot that bit. Quite a limited system by comparison to others on the market.

Quick Reply: Adding speed camera POI to your SatNav DVD