E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High Battery Drain - DEALER CAN'T FIND CAUSE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Hi everyone,

I've posted by ongoing ordeal in a couple of other threads but need to bring it to the forefront now in hopes of getting some help from this community.

About a month and a half ago, my car started getting a high battery drain/discharge error in the mornings. It would go away if I warm up the car or drive it for a bit. Since my car's about 4 years old, I figured the battery is due for replacement. I took it to the dealer and they checked the battery and it was fine. They checked the alternator and that was fine. They then ran a bunch of tests and couldn't find the cause of the drain. Since that day, my car has been back to the dealers FOUR times for a total of 31 days in the last month and a half; going on 32 days tomorrow. During all these visits, they've replaced the CAS module, the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor), cleared the error code, checked my iPod integration cable....nothing. I talked to my SA today and they're at a complete loss and say they will probably engage BMW next.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this problem could be???
Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Hi everyone,

I've posted by ongoing ordeal in a couple of other threads but need to bring it to the forefront now in hopes of getting some help from this community.

About a month and a half ago, my car started getting a high battery drain/discharge error in the mornings. It would go away if I warm up the car or drive it for a bit. Since my car's about 4 years old, I figured the battery is due for replacement. I took it to the dealer and they checked the battery and it was fine. They checked the alternator and that was fine. They then ran a bunch of tests and couldn't find the cause of the drain. Since that day, my car has been back to the dealers FOUR times for a total of 31 days in the last month and a half; going on 32 days tomorrow. During all these visits, they've replaced the CAS module, the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor), cleared the error code, checked my iPod integration cable....nothing. I talked to my SA today and they're at a complete loss and say they will probably engage BMW next.

Tony I cant offer any advice since I have no clue.. All I can say is sorry hun, I know its driving you nutty... And I hope someone offers something that may spark an interest in finding the problem..
Old 06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by melimel
Tony I cant offer any advice since I have no clue.. All I can say is sorry hun, I know its driving you nutty... And I hope someone offers something that may spark an interest in finding the problem..
Thanks Mel. Hearing from you is good enough to hold me over for a while.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear that, I have the same problem. I guess thats why i have battery tender on it every other week. the best that BMW came up with is that "its my driving's fault". My car gave me the low battery from the time I picked up the new car. BMW say i don't drive it hard enough, according to other members here, its a bunch of bull. Hope that they find the problem.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Contributors

My car is a daily driver so I don't see how they can blame it on my driving habits (and they haven't even brought that up). Even though I drive it daily, the error still shows up the next morning.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Something on your car isn't going to sleep after 16 minutes. My car went back to the dealer three times with this High Battery Discharge problem.
First they suspected the Comfort Access door handles but ended up replacing the main Comfort Access module. But, you've changed this by the look of it.
Next time they replaced the electronic gear shift (not on your car--LCI only).
Last time they removed an after market Boomerang system that was trying to call home constantly (unique to my car).
There are many more modules that can go bad. When the car doesn't go completely to sleep it will drain a battery overnight. You changed one other culprit -- the IBS.
A four year old battery may be "OK" but is certainly weaker than when new and may not be holding enough charge. The more charge and deplete cycles it goes through affects it even more.
I had a 5 year old battery in my MB that finally died. The dealer found the problem to be a faulty alternator that appeared fine initially and would charge the car but a faulty diode in the alternator caused the alternator to drain the battery that it had just charged. I have had this problem twice.
Do a forum search. There are many more problems from bad modules.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Contributors

Thanks Gilgorm. Does CAS module stand for Comfort Access module? I didn't know and didn't ask them.

As for the battery, I had them put a new one in and same thing happened. Over a year ago, I had tried putting a small lightweight Deka battery in my car but put the OEM one back after about a month or so. I told them that and asked if I had to somehow re-register the old battery and they said they already tried registering it as well.

I will bring up the faulty alternator diode possibility and see what they say.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho

I assumed CAS stood for Comfort Access System. You might want to confirm that with them. I know a single door handle can cause the problem as well as the main module controlling the whole system.
Good luck. It can be a pain.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Contributors

Okay, I'll talk to them tomorrow.

On a side note, I just pulled out my Sony camcorder that I haven't used for about six months, to film my son's preschool graduation tomorrow and guess what, the battery's dead and won't charge. I tried THREE different batteries, including a new one I just bought from Best Buy today and same shit. I plug it in and the charge light comes on for a short time and goes off. I turn it on and it stays on for a few seconds and shuts off. I can't even eject the disc that's in there. WTF???

Perhaps I have such a magnetic personality that I drew all the electricity from all these machines?? LOL!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Senior Members

Electrifying personality of course. Better to be 'charged' up than 'drain'ed of energy.

Quick Reply: High Battery Drain - DEALER CAN'T FIND CAUSE!