DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY interior LED handle lighting

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

After reading dieseltouring DIY on the tweeter upgrade I thought i would do the DIY on my car but at the same time i wanted to add the OEM interior handle lighting.

Part numbers

LED kit 63316929662 LED bulb and lead you will need 4 of these one for each door.
LED bulb holder 63316928599 you will need 4 of these one for each door.

so here it is, i hope dieseltouring doesnt mind me using his Door card removal but its spot on so why re write it.

so firstly remove your drivers door card using dieseltouring how to -

Tools neeeded: Torx screwdriver, flat blade screwdriver, cross head screwdriver, small plastic wedge (I used a plastic door wedge from Poundland), pliers, chair or box to support the panel.

1. Disconnect the batttery negative terminal, just to be safe that you don't get an airbag warning light that needs to be reset. It's in the boot on the drivers side.
2. Lever out the Airbag badge with the flat screwdriver. It is on a strap so you can't loose it.
3. Undoo the torx screw behind
4. Lever off the small plastic dome covering the screw head at the hinge end of the door
5. Undo the philips screw behind
6. Starting at the mirror, drive the wedge along the gap between the trim and the metal of the door with your hands. The retaining clips will pop undone. Work way around botttom of door and back up other side.
7. Pull top edge of door panel out of metal clips of the window rubber trim strip. Takes a bit of force, but they do give in.
8. Now all that should be holding the panel on is the central retainer that secures the centre of the panel. This can be released by wriggling the panel upward slightly.
9. The panel should now be free, but still teathered by 3 or 4 inches of wire to the speakers and airbag etc..
10. These should be unplugged, so the door card can be removed.

Re-assembly is easier if you remove the central plastic retainer from it's metal clip on the door panel by pressing together the metal clips with pliers and then sliding it back onto place on the door. This then means the panel can be fitted by simply pushing into place without any sliding. The metal tabs may need to be bent back out slightly.

Now for my part.

With the door cards removed you will need to remove some of the fixings that hold the window switches and grab handle.

these comprise of the metal bracket that secures part of the midrange speaker, the internal door handle and the grab handle.
All of the bolts securing this bracket should be removed.

Next with all of the items removed you will see a mark on the door where the LED light holder is supposed to go you will need to drill this out, i found it better to drill a hole and keep trying the holder for a snug fit.

then you can now see the LED in place note the way the LED is facing

Now put all the fixings, door handle etc back on to the door card.

Next we need to wire the LED into the car, as the car did not come with the LED as a factory option you will not have the plug for it to connect into so you will need to cut the little plug off the LED which leaves the brown wire (earth) and the grey/red wire (positive) this will connect to the same colour wires on the window switch wire plug. simply connect into these wires by either soldering or using a crimp connector. and insulate the wires.

Now reconnect all the other wiring connections.

And refit the door card noting dieseltouring suggestion about putting the centre bracket back onto the door card.

When you have finished and the door card is in place reconnect the Battery and turn on your lights and you will have the LED handle illumination.

repeat for all four doors.

Enjoy.... And the tweeters that dieseltouring recommended are fantastic upgrade they make a MASSIVE differance.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Members

I have the parts for this mod, I'm going to attempt it at the weekend, where have the images gone from the 'how to' above?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the DIY!

But I can't see the images either?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Curious about this thread topic....
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Members

I could really do with a picture of where to drill and which way round the LED sits in the door card.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

Sorry guys not been on here for a while i will re upload the images over the next couple of days dont know why they are not there anymore.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Cheers mate
Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 AM
Members

RE POSTED WITH IMAGES AS I CANT EDIT ORIGINAL POST.

After reading dieseltouring DIY on the tweeter upgrade I thought i would do the DIY on my car but at the same time i wanted to add the OEM interior handle lighting.

LED kit 63316929662 LED bulb and lead you will need 4 of these one for each door.
LED bulb holder 63316928599 you will need 4 of these one for each door.

so here it is, i hope dieseltouring doesnt mind me using his Door card removal but its spot on so why re write it.

so firstly remove your drivers door card using dieseltouring how to -

Tools neeeded: Torx screwdriver, flat blade screwdriver, cross head screwdriver, small plastic wedge (I used a plastic door wedge from Poundland), pliers, chair or box to support the panel.

1. Disconnect the batttery negative terminal, just to be safe that you don't get an airbag warning light that needs to be reset. It's in the boot on the drivers side.
2. Lever out the Airbag badge with the flat screwdriver. It is on a strap so you can't loose it.
3. Undoo the torx screw behind
4. Lever off the small plastic dome covering the screw head at the hinge end of the door
5. Undo the philips screw behind
6. Starting at the mirror, drive the wedge along the gap between the trim and the metal of the door with your hands. The retaining clips will pop undone. Work way around botttom of door and back up other side.
7. Pull top edge of door panel out of metal clips of the window rubber trim strip. Takes a bit of force, but they do give in.
8. Now all that should be holding the panel on is the central retainer that secures the centre of the panel. This can be released by wriggling the panel upward slightly.
9. The panel should now be free, but still teathered by 3 or 4 inches of wire to the speakers and airbag etc..
10. These should be unplugged, so the door card can be removed.

Re-assembly is easier if you remove the central plastic retainer from it's metal clip on the door panel by pressing together the metal clips with pliers and then sliding it back onto place on the door. This then means the panel can be fitted by simply pushing into place without any sliding. The metal tabs may need to be bent back out slightly.

Now for my part.

With the door cards removed you will need to remove some of the fixings that hold the window switches and grab handle.

these comprise of the metal bracket that secures part of the midrange speaker, the internal door handle and the grab handle.
All of the bolts securing this bracket should be removed.

Next with all of the items removed you will see a mark on the door where the LED light holder is supposed to go you will need to drill this out, i found it better to drill a hole and keep trying the holder for a snug fit.

then you can now see the LED in place note the way the LED is facing

Now put all the fixings, door handle etc back on to the door card.

Next we need to wire the LED into the car, as the car did not come with the LED as a factory option you will not have the plug for it to connect into so you will need to cut the little plug off the LED which leaves the brown wire (earth) and the grey/red wire (positive) this will connect to the same colour wires on the window switch wire plug. simply connect into these wires by either soldering or using a crimp connector. and insulate the wires.

Now reconnect all the other wiring connections.

And refit the door card noting dieseltouring suggestion about putting the centre bracket back onto the door card.

When you have finished and the door card is in place reconnect the Battery and turn on your lights and you will have the LED handle illumination.

repeat for all four doors.

Enjoy.... And the tweeters that dieseltouring recommended are fantastic upgrade they make a MASSIVE differance.