Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

F$%^ing Volcano

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who else is stressing about their booked flight to Europe looks like it will be cancelled because of that f%^&ing volcano!

I need GUINNESS!!!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

My flight from Europe has been canceled twice over. I may fly on Wednesday...
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

my friend kieth is in UK right now and can not get back to HK
Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

think positive

I live near Frankfurt and usually you get to see quite a few planes from time to time flying over your head, but since the whole air traffic was blocked you can clearly see the sun again without looking through condensation trails AND!: there's no engine noise from airplanes taking off..

however I'm a big fan of aviation and I always wanted to become a pilot.. so all this vulcano stuff is a pity!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Owning a travel agency in Germany and having my dad and sister stranded in Turkey I am a bit stressed but still make fun about it.
There's not much to do... all we can do is wait...

Currently the weather reports are not looking good.
The volcano is still active and again errupting a huge mass of ash... this time higher than in the last two days...
The airlines are very angry at the governments about closing the airspace, saying they loose about 150 million ?uro each, per day!
The total cost for the economy is probably in the billion figure each day, what makes this event worse than 9/11, from an economic point of view.
The airlines have had flights under VFR-rules, which means without ATC and instruments, just based on the pilots vision and on his own risk, to bring the airplanes to the airports where they will be needed once the airspace will be reopened.
They took a look at their aircrafts and found no damages and no ashes.
OTOH a F-16 had glas in its turbine after a flight over Europe.

Right now Lufthansa announced to start flight operations again tonight.
Airspace is still officially closed until 2am, but satelite images show a change in the weather conditions and almost no ash above the European mainland anymore...

Maybe we get a two day window or something... we'll see...

It's amazing how loud the traffic is, once there's no more sound from airplanes...

For more infos check this website: DFS

Sat images can be found here (hourly updates): DWD
Volcanic ash = orange
Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman
Owning a travel agency in Germany and having my dad and sister stranded in Turkey I am a bit stressed but still make fun about it.
There's not much to do... all we can do is wait...

Currently the weather reports are not looking good.
The volcano is still active and again errupting a huge mass of ash... this time higher than in the last two days...
The airlines are very angry at the governments about closing the airspace, saying they loose about 150 million ?uro each, per day!
The total cost for the economy is probably in the billion figure each day, what makes this event worse than 9/11, from an economic point of view.
The airlines have had flights under VFR-rules, which means without ATC and instruments, just based on the pilots vision and on his own risk, to bring the airplanes to the airports where they will be needed once the airspace will be reopened.
They took a look at their aircrafts and found no damages and no ashes.
OTOH a F-16 had glas in its turbine after a flight over Europe.

Right now Lufthansa announced to start flight operations again tonight.
Airspace is still officially closed until 2am, but satelite images show a change in the weather conditions and almost no ash above the European mainland anymore...

Maybe we get a two day window or something... we'll see...

It's amazing how loud the traffic is, once there's no more sound from airplanes...

For more infos check this website: DFS

Sat images can be found here (hourly updates): DWD
Volcanic ash = orange
wow they plan to risk ppl lives over money :thumbsdown:
I said to my friends who need war or other human bad things to make this world a stand still and the market shares bad.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

In case anyone thinks this is all BS....... http://www.nytimes.c...ml?pagewanted=1
Long read but, what the hell, you're stranded.
http://www.dailymail...er-dreads-.html
....or watch
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5202130688048#
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Being stranded sucks bad... We have been kicked out of lodging for lack of space. We had reservations but when we tried to extend, we could not. We have been bouncing around from hotel to hotel. This is very stressful.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill
In case anyone thinks this is all BS....... http://www.nytimes.c...ml?pagewanted=1
Long read but, what the hell, you're stranded.
http://www.dailymail...er-dreads-.html
....or watch
http://video.google....35202130688048#
wow that is some old news Published: December 16, 1989
maybe the new planes with new engines are much better

Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Contributors

Friend of mine was stranded in Rome at the weekend and really wanted to be back in Munich for monday morning. At the train station, the booking lines went on forever and they got told they were fully booked for days. Cheekily though, when the train came for Munich, they waited till it was about to close the doors and just got on it. You can do that in many countries in europe, get on a train without a ticket. You have to pay for your ticket when the inspector comes along and he might wag a finger at you, but it worked. She got the overnight train and made it back to work monday morning.

Originally Posted by pinguhk
wow that is some old news Published: December 16, 1989
maybe the new planes with new engines are much better
Not really. The basic jet engine design hasn't changed much at all in the last 20 years. The reason the engines stop is because the ash reacts with the jet blades and forms a concrete-like or glass-like layer on them and that's enough to make them not work anymore. It's only the cooling effect of all that cold air blasting on them as the plane descends many thousand feet that makes that layer become brittle and break off revealing the naked blades again which now they're rid of that layer can start again.

Quick Reply: F$%^ing Volcano