Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

F$%^ing Volcano

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Well, I was just notified that my flight for Wednesday was canceled... This is bad... Car rentals, hotel bills, all these reservations... It is taking a toll.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by tonymac
Well, I was just notified that my flight for Wednesday was canceled... This is bad... Car rentals, hotel bills, all these reservations... It is taking a toll.
This is terrible to hear. I assume that all berths on transatlantic cruises are booked. Any way to get on a train to a country far enough away from the ash. Russia? Ukraine? Turkey?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Iceman
Owning a travel agency in Germany and having my dad and sister stranded in Turkey I am a bit stressed but still make fun about it.
There's not much to do... all we can do is wait...

Currently the weather reports are not looking good.
The volcano is still active and again errupting a huge mass of ash... this time higher than in the last two days...
The airlines are very angry at the governments about closing the airspace, saying they loose about 150 million ?uro each, per day!
The total cost for the economy is probably in the billion figure each day, what makes this event worse than 9/11, from an economic point of view.
The airlines have had flights under VFR-rules, which means without ATC and instruments, just based on the pilots vision and on his own risk, to bring the airplanes to the airports where they will be needed once the airspace will be reopened.
They took a look at their aircrafts and found no damages and no ashes.
OTOH a F-16 had glas in its turbine after a flight over Europe.

Right now Lufthansa announced to start flight operations again tonight.
Airspace is still officially closed until 2am, but satelite images show a change in the weather conditions and almost no ash above the European mainland anymore...

Maybe we get a two day window or something... we'll see...

It's amazing how loud the traffic is, once there's no more sound from airplanes...

For more infos check this website: DFS

Sat images can be found here (hourly updates): DWD
Volcanic ash = orange
That sucks Andre'. Any way they could take a train to Ukraine or Poland and get back to Germany from there?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Looks like no flights from Russia are coming through - my friend was supposed to touch down in NYC on the 28th, but sadly, I don't think it'll happen. I think we're in this for a longer period than airlines would like to think.

On another note, with an aging fleet all over the world, this would be a perfect opportunity for the airlines to start doing some tune-ups and updates on their planes... but no one's gonna do sh!t, cuz nobody gives a fvck... They just car about the money they're losing - let them go out of business, cuz they've got no business being in the airline business any-muhfuhkken-way

Russian for the Prez
Old 04-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

There is a way around this and to keep flying.

The ash is at 13-20,00 feet. Aircraft can depart and stay below 13,00ft tracking toward open water, then pick their spot to accend above ash based on dynamic weather data.

I mean, my grandfather flew RAF planes at 2,00-4,00ft all the way to Germany and back from the UK taking over 6-9 hours and getting attacked by Luftwafe all along the route, so commercial aircraft can do the same for a little while.

The only thing stopping then as usual, laggard government and air traffic management.

This thing will be with us for months even years and the game-is-up so they better start planning. The way these athorities act is like the ash will suddenly dissapear....hello !!! this could last years, better get alternative approach, standard depatures routes are closed - for ever !!!

The president of Iceland said on TV last night that an even bigger volcano is getting ready to blow, that last erupted in 1918, it's now overdue for another blow and much bigger than the current one.

On a more serious note - this will tip Europe back into recession, thanks to gov bail-outs for airlines.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The ash is below 6000 metres, that is below FlightLevel 197 (19,700 ft. - 6,000 m.).

Therefore they can't stay out of the ash, since takeoff and landing will lead all aircrafts right through it. And takeoffs and landings are where the risk is significant higher. Having an additional risk with the ash, ATC refuses any responsibility. That's why they are not guiding any aircraft below FL197. You can cross the EU above FL197 on IFR (instrument flight rules) with the guideance of ATC, but for takeoff and landing you are on your own at VFR (visual flight rules). So, the airlines are currently risking a lot!
A F-16 was found damaged after flying over EU airspace... no ATC below FL197... Lufthansa and Air Berlin say they have not found any damages after a couple test flights... but what if the one out of 1000 IS experiencing problems? It might not be Lufthansa or Air Berlin, but who knows...

Right now I would not fly if I can avoid it.
Poor judgement by our airlines...
Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Conspiracy theory?

I was reading somewhere that the major European airlines and their government sponsors have used this volcano excuse to prolong shutting down the airspace in order to drive the smaller airlines (new start-ups and low cost carriers) out of business.

This sounds B.S. to me
Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Nope.
Even the bigger airlines are out of business if the airspace will be closed two more weeks.

The are still paying their employees plus parking their aircrafts for immense costs. That's even worse for bigger airlines...
Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

seems that they re-opened the sky for business airplanes...

good bye tranquillity
Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

My flight to Frankfurt for my connection to Almaty was just cancelled. Dammit! My bags are packed, so now I need to go somewhere.

Quick Reply: F$%^ing Volcano