DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

"How 2" 3M Tape RD Sport Spoiler For Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Dumb question...but how close to the edges of the spoiler are people applying 3M tape? I had a shop install mine, and they brought the tape right out to the edge of the spoiler, and of course you can see it when looking at the spoiler at different angles when looking at the car. I pulled the spoiler off and got all the tape cleaned off....and am getting ready to have them install it again.....I am thinking leaving the tape recessed about 1/4" from the edge of the spoiler should make it non visible.....does this sound good? Also, noticed that recessed channel/groove that runs down the center of the spoiler.....can tape just be installed in there....is this what that is for?
Sorry for the questions.....I "searched" and didn't see anyone mention how close to the edge to bring the tape.

Thanks for any help...

Keith
Old 02-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

i will also be installing soon. any help would be greatly appreciated. i dont want to use the adhesive supplied by the person i bought it from because i dont want to ruin the trunk if i have to remove it. which 3m tape did u guys use?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Jet Black, Miro 111's, Painted Calipers, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, Ultimate Interior LED Kit, ACS Rear Spoilers (reps), HID 7k Fogs, Black Roundels and Badges, 20% Tint, Mtech V2 Angel Eyes, Ksport Coilovers, M5 Bumpers and Side Skits, ACS Front Lip (rep), and probably more on the way as you read this...

wish someone could add insight here because i'm hopefully installing my spoiler this weekend.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

i use a 3m tape i got from a paint shop-i saw the same type in home depo. strip cover is red. i outlined the button of the spoiler then used a blade to shape the tape so it conforms to the edges of the spoiler. then i used a heat gun (after cleaning the trunk) to take out some humidity to prep the trunk before application of the spoiler. hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Don't bring it to the edge. It'll show. We installed it where you don't see it. My brother's half you don't see the 3M at all. My half, you see it. It sticks very good. So it doesn't have to be all the way to the edge.

I also used some adhesive. Don't remember what. Heat the surface with a blow dryer and stuck it on. Then used blue painter's tape and tape the hell out of it.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
My brother's half you don't see the 3M at all. My half, you see it.
I guess you guys aren't identical twins afterall.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I used the 3M tape and the spoiler almost fell off. Not sure that it's the correct solution. I had the body shop install it with glue and it's held great.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ
I used the 3M tape and the spoiler almost fell off. Not sure that it's the correct solution. I had the body shop install it with glue and it's held great.
Forgot to follow up with this thread........
I had the shop reinstall it with 3m tape again since the first time the tape was so visible. I was out there when they started, and they didn't prep the trunk at all.....even after me telling them I just polished and waxed the day before. They said there was no need to prep when using 3m tape. I knew better than that, but figured I'd give them the benefit. They installed it, and I left and came home. When I got home, I checked the spoiler and noticed that the whole right side wasn't even stuck down. I pulled on it and it came off with ease in my hands, and no tape stuck to the trunk at all...no surprise there. I called and bitched to the shop manager, and they gave me a refund which paid for me to buy a roll of 3m tape from the parts store.

I cleaned the trunk with rubbing alcohol to get the wax off, installed the 3m tape in the spoiler channel ONLY. As an extra....I mixed a water/soap solution and sprayed on the trunk to add as a lubricant, so I could slide the spoiler around on the trunk to get it in it's final position, instead of having one chance as you do with a dry application. Once the spoiler was where I wanted it, I pressed down to get the soapy water out. Then I blew compressed air to get the remaining water out, and pressed down again. Piece of cake...no gaps, perfect fitment, no visible tape, and the sucker is on there solid!. It's been on for 3-4 weeks now, and has been subjected to rain, and freezing weather and it hasn't budged at all.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
Forgot to follow up with this thread........
I had the shop reinstall it with 3m tape again since the first time the tape was so visible. I was out there when they started, and they didn't prep the trunk at all.....even after me telling them I just polished and waxed the day before. They said there was no need to prep when using 3m tape. I knew better than that, but figured I'd give them the benefit. They installed it, and I left and came home. When I got home, I checked the spoiler and noticed that the whole right side wasn't even stuck down. I pulled on it and it came off with ease in my hands, and no tape stuck to the trunk at all...no surprise there. I called and bitched to the shop manager, and they gave me a refund which paid for me to buy a roll of 3m tape from the parts store.

I cleaned the trunk with rubbing alcohol to get the wax off, installed the 3m tape in the spoiler channel ONLY. As an extra....I mixed a water/soap solution and sprayed on the trunk to add as a lubricant, so I could slide the spoiler around on the trunk to get it in it's final position, instead of having one chance as you do with a dry application. Once the spoiler was where I wanted it, I pressed down to get the soapy water out. Then I blew compressed air to get the remaining water out, and pressed down again. Piece of cake...no gaps, perfect fitment, no visible tape, and the sucker is on there solid!. It's been on for 3-4 weeks now, and has been subjected to rain, and freezing weather and it hasn't budged at all.
well you really dont need to prep when using 3m tape.. .all you need is just make sure you clean the surface.

this is what i do whenever i install those...

First, clean the surface and let it dry ...

second test fit and mark where each end should be with some painter tape.

third apply 3m tapes but not too close to the edge.. sometimes i use one that is clear tape.. it works the same honestly and benefit is it is not visible like 3m tape.

fourth. right before you apply to the trunk, use heat gun right before apply. it will activate the adhesive better and sticks better.. also it shrinks little bit.

i used this method and its been good for year so far i like that soap and water mix but not when you apply spoiler.. it is good for vinyl because you can squeeze water out completely...

anyways... congrats on installing spoiler
Old 04-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Jet Black, Miro 111's, Painted Calipers, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, Ultimate Interior LED Kit, ACS Rear Spoilers (reps), HID 7k Fogs, Black Roundels and Badges, 20% Tint, Mtech V2 Angel Eyes, Ksport Coilovers, M5 Bumpers and Side Skits, ACS Front Lip (rep), and probably more on the way as you read this...

On my install I didn't have a friend to help, which would have been nice, but oh well. First I washed the trunk and dried it, then I prepped the surface with alcohol. Next I took the spoiler and lined it up on the trunk where I wanted it to go. After it was dead center and level, I took masking tape and held it into place. Next thing I did was take painter's tape and stuck 4 strips to the trunk and spoiler, then with an exacto knife, cut them at the gap so half was attached to the trunk and the other half the spoiler. I then took the spoiler off the car and cleaned off the bottom with alcohol and applied the 3m adhesive, then lined up the tape strips on the spoiler to the ones on the trunk and pressed hard. I was super happy with placement, so I put some masking tape on it to hold it in place. For the spoiler I went a quarter inch in on the 3m tape and after 24 hours was up, you could see the white when you walked from the front of the car to the rear (if you were looking). That bothered me quite a bit, so I purchased some black silicone from the automotive store and lined the top of the spoiler with it, then cleaned the residue off with alcohol. This actually killed three birds with one stone, as it certainly took care of not having to see the tape, it got rid of the gaps at the edge of both sides, and it actually looks professional, and I know fuckall about doing DIY projects - I can barely set the radio stations in the car! The spoiler looks awesome and feels nice and tight, but I'm still too much of a pussy to shut my trunk gripping the spoiler as a handle.

I haven't installed the roof spoiler yet because that absolutely will take two people, but something tells me that I am going to have to weight it down since it's not curved like the window.

Quick Reply: "How 2" 3M Tape RD Sport Spoiler For Install