DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

"How 2" 3M Tape RD Sport Spoiler For Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Jet Black, Miro 111's, Painted Calipers, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, Ultimate Interior LED Kit, ACS Rear Spoilers (reps), HID 7k Fogs, Black Roundels and Badges, 20% Tint, Mtech V2 Angel Eyes, Ksport Coilovers, M5 Bumpers and Side Skits, ACS Front Lip (rep), and probably more on the way as you read this...

here's some pics i just snapped so you can see what it looks like with the black silicone. in pic two you can see how it filled in the gap on the edge.
Attached Thumbnails "How 2" 3M Tape RD Sport Spoiler For Install-sil1.jpg   "How 2" 3M Tape RD Sport Spoiler For Install-sil2.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by No Onions
On my install I didn't have a friend to help, which would have been nice, but oh well. First I washed the trunk and dried it, then I prepped the surface with alcohol. Next I took the spoiler and lined it up on the trunk where I wanted it to go. After it was dead center and level, I took masking tape and held it into place. Next thing I did was take painter's tape and stuck 4 strips to the trunk and spoiler, then with an exacto knife, cut them at the gap so half was attached to the trunk and the other half the spoiler. I then took the spoiler off the car and cleaned off the bottom with alcohol and applied the 3m adhesive, then lined up the tape strips on the spoiler to the ones on the trunk and pressed hard. I was super happy with placement, so I put some masking tape on it to hold it in place. For the spoiler I went a quarter inch in on the 3m tape and after 24 hours was up, you could see the white when you walked from the front of the car to the rear (if you were looking). That bothered me quite a bit, so I purchased some black silicone from the automotive store and lined the top of the spoiler with it, then cleaned the residue off with alcohol. This actually killed three birds with one stone, as it certainly took care of not having to see the tape, it got rid of the gaps at the edge of both sides, and it actually looks professional, and I know fuckall about doing DIY projects - I can barely set the radio stations in the car! The spoiler looks awesome and feels nice and tight, but I'm still too much of a pussy to shut my trunk gripping the spoiler as a handle.

I haven't installed the roof spoiler yet because that absolutely will take two people, but something tells me that I am going to have to weight it down since it's not curved like the window.
This is essentially the same process I used for my spoilers, the only difference is I used Goo Gone to remove any wax and residue before the install. I also used adhesive to secure the spoilers to my deck lid and rear window to ensure a solid feel.
Good job Bro
Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Very helpful thread thanks guys.

My spoiler is coming loose and I used adhesive to put it on with no tape. The adhesive leaked out the sides and I have a mess around my trunk (my smarty pants decided 10:30pm outside was a good time to install it). Could I rip off the spoiler, clean it up with goo-gone, then 3m tape it?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Jet Black, Miro 111's, Painted Calipers, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, Ultimate Interior LED Kit, ACS Rear Spoilers (reps), HID 7k Fogs, Black Roundels and Badges, 20% Tint, Mtech V2 Angel Eyes, Ksport Coilovers, M5 Bumpers and Side Skits, ACS Front Lip (rep), and probably more on the way as you read this...

In theory, yes, you could take it off, but I'd be careful in "ripping it off" depending on the adhesive. If it's coming off already, maybe it would be easy, but I'd do it carefully. Do you think it's coming off because you've been closing your trunk my pulling down on it, or do you think it's just not bonded correctly?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

In theory, yes, you could take it off, but I'd be careful in "ripping it off" depending on the adhesive. If it's coming off already, maybe it would be easy, but I'd do it carefully. Do you think it's coming off because you've been closing your trunk my pulling down on it, or do you think it's just not bonded correctly?
Thanks for your help! When I installed it, it was dark and I did a crappy job. I didn't set it on very tight or tape it up well enough so the left side never set properly. The right side and middle are on squeaky tight though. Aghhhh...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

here's some pics i just snapped so you can see what it looks like with the black silicone. in pic two you can see how it filled in the gap on the edge.
Hi No Onions,

I plan to install the RD rear spoiler this weekend and I've been trying decide if I want to use the Betalink product to install it permanently or use 3M tape and black silicone adhesive. It appears that the 3M tape and silicone adhesive works well. So far, so good?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535Xi Deep Sea Blue A76 Twin Turbo 6 Speed Manual Cold Weather Package Comfort Seats Stock Wheels for now.

Don't know if this will help anyone, but I always had a rule of thumb when using 3M tape to install any after market products to your vehicle.

Rule:
1. Always prep the vehicle meaning use rubbing alcohol rather than the goof off stuff that leaves an oily residue. (can be obtained at a supermarket or drug store.
2. Make sure that the temperature outside or inside is hotter than 70 Degrees F.
3. Use a heat gun if necessary at low temperature.
4. Apply glue enhancer products that 3M makes and recommends. (most applications will come with this enhancer.)
5. Work from one side to the other. If the product is long. Remove a tiny piece of 3M tape backer from both sides to assure proper fitments then remove slowly one side at a time.
6. Apply heat and pressure in increments while trying to make the adhesive bond to the product and your vehicle.

7. Last but not least Make sure to leave 1/16" on the edges of the product so the tape will be a 1/16" of an inch short on all sides. This will allow room for shrinking and expanding of the tape in weather.

Happy modding.