E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Directional Indicator design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's the position of my steering wheel and the loudness of my stereo that contribute to this problem......but my hands completely cover the blinking indicators for the turn signals. The music is usually too loud to hear the clicking sound. I find that I have to move my hands out of the way to see if the directionals are on or not...or if they're off or not. I can solve the problem by raising the steering wheel to make them visible.....but this seems annoying. I don't like to drive with the wheel up that high. It seems to me that the directional indicators should be centered between the tach and speedometer...where they could never possibly be blocked by the wheel or hands. Just my little rant.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

BMW need to do a U-Turn with the overall design and functionality of their indicators. They've taken a step too far forward, and are actually now going backwards with what they've done.

They are now putting their clients in danger. I can't tell you the number of times I've indicated, only to turn in, out, or around and find out that the indicator didn't indicate, or I didn't press it hard enuff so it only flashed 3 times while I waited to perform a manoeuvre.

If you ever want to have a real laugh, drive behind anyone who is driving a new E60 for the first time. I did a few weeks ago. Yes people, as we learn the new indicator technology loaded upon us, the outside world watches in amazement as our indicators go one way, and then the other, and then back again as we attempt to learn this brave new design.

BMW drivers are now ridiculed by other car owners because they believe that we don't use our indicators.

This is BMW's own fault, but the way big business is run I doubt they will ever go back on this truly flawed part of their vehicle design. Somebody upstairs might have to resign for that to happen, and we can't have that, can we? <_<

There! I join you in your rant!!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that kind of indicators i.e. press a little means flashing a few times can also be found in the Vauxhall Vectra too.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Members

My Ride: Oxford Green E60 530D with tuning box and all the toys!

Didn't bother ordering indicators on mine - I think it looks sleeker without them!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I can't see the indicatorlights on the dash too. And if I want to see them I have to raise my steeringwheel really high wich looks ridiculous..
Old 04-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Maybe some other car suit better?? I can see indicators well.

At least I'm taler than You 530E60NL, maybe that's it?

Skaffa
Old 04-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Who knows?? You beeing taller would make it more difficult to see them when the steeringwheel is in the lowest position.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Apr 5 2005, 12:52 PM
Who knows?? You beeing taller would make it more difficult to see them when the steeringwheel is in the lowest position.
[snapback]111323[/snapback]
But then my knees don't fit! Wheel has to be as much back as possible and little up. Othewise my knees defenetly will touch to the wheel and dash.

Someone has said that tallnes has not been advantage after invention of ladders!

Skaffa
Old 04-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by skaffa' date='Apr 5 2005, 02:02 AM
[quote name='530E60NL' date='Apr 5 2005, 12:52 PM']Who knows?? You beeing taller would make it more difficult to see them when the steeringwheel is in the lowest position.
[snapback]111323[/snapback]
But then my knees don't fit! Wheel has to be as much back as possible and little up. Othewise my knees defenetly will touch to the wheel and dash.

Someone has said that tallnes has not been advantage after invention of ladders!

Skaffa
[snapback]111326[/snapback]
[/quote]
Another great thread! All this time I never complained because I thought it was my driving position. (I like to sit high and upright). Same peeve here.

You can always turn the steering wheel to se the indicator.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by nomad' date='Apr 5 2005, 01:29 AM
I can't tell you the number of times I've indicated, only to turn in, out, or around and find out that the indicator didn't indicate, or I didn't press it hard enuff so it only flashed 3 times while I waited to perform a manoeuvre.
[snapback]111274[/snapback]
You can turn off the 3 time flash in iDrive so that the indicators work like they do in other cars (I turned this feature off). I don't have any problem either seeing the indicators or hearing them (a synthesized mechanical relay switch is broadcast over the speakers), so they work just fine for me.

Quick Reply: Directional Indicator design flaw