E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 550i different transmission type

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

I tried searching and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. (I consider myself pretty good at searching for info but I came up empty on this one).

I have a friend that is looking for a 2008 550i. She doesn't want anything SMG like. She wants the Steptronic transmission. We test drove one this weekend and she loved it. There's a car that we found online and it's listed as SMG, but the shifter looks exactly like the one we test drove yesterday. I'm a little confused as to whether or not the 2008 550i came with SMG. I emailed the owner and he said there are 3 different transmission for 2008. Manual, Steptronic, and Sport Automatic (which is what he has). He said the sport automatic has various sport programs and a sport button along with paddle shifters but isn't a true SMG like the m5.

I checked: https://5series.net/information/2008_5_...es_Brochure.pdf and it describes the sport automatic as "more dynamic shift patterns" which doesn't really explain it.

My question is whether or not a car equipped with sport automatic shifts like SMG or steptronic. I have a 2004 smg and my "automatic mode" doesn't shift as smooth as a true steptronic transmission. I've noticed that steptronic doesn't show on the gauge cluster that it's shifting through gears like my smg. In my automatic mode, my gauge cluster will show the car shifting through gears. Does the sport automatic do that? Is the sport automatic more closer to a steptronic transmission or more closer to an SMG transmission?

The car is in So Cal and she's willing to fly down there to purchase it, but I don't want her to waste her time and $ to fly down there and find out that the car shifts like an SMG and have her go home empty handed.

Thanks for the help!

Here's a pic of the interior if it helps. Sorry the pic is small.

2008 550i different transmission type-550i_interior.jpg
Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

No SMG in the 2008 cars. The three options are Manual, Step and Sport Auto. Sport Auto, which I have, comes with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, very nice for sporty driving while using the manual mode. In ordinary D, the Sport Auto functions just like the Step. DS is similar for the Step and Sport Auto, higher RPM shift points which allow faster acceleration. The Sport Auto also has a Sport button on the console which further adjusts the tranny in terms of shift points etc. As I recall, the Sport button also firms up the suspension a bit though honestly I am hard pressed to notice a real difference.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup no more SMG in 2008, so dont worry it probably is a Sports Transmission.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Members

Thanks everyone for their input!

My SMG is nice since I normally shift it myself, but my friend doesn't drive like I do so she wants automatic and she feels that the automatic mode in my car is too notchy. I just had another friend in OC buy a 550i recently and it was steptronic and his automatic mode feels nothing like my automatic mode.

Wasn't sure how the sport automatic shifted and needed some input as to whether it's automatic mode shifted like a steptronic or SMG.

I almost got my brother in law convinced on a 550i too. All this car shopping/talking with my friends and brother in law is getting me tempted to get into a 550i! I'm converting everyone I know that's a car enthusiast
Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Members

Let me clarify on the other posts for you.

1) In D mode, it drives just like your normal Step.

2) In DS mode, it drives just like your normal Step in DS mode.

Both of these have very smooth shifts, and in these modes is NO difference between Step and SAT (Sport Automatic Transmission)

3) With Sport button pressed in D mode, the steering will be sportier, shifts will be lightning quick (~.1 sec) under full throttle, the tranny will rev match, and 6th gear is not used, unless you manually select it using paddles, and then it's only temporary (a few seconds). Any manual shifting with paddles or gear selector revert to auto on it's own in a few seconds after shifting.

4) With Sport button pressed in DS mode (HOT FUN), the steering will be sportier, shifts will be lightning quick (~.1 sec) under full throttle, the tranny will rev match, higher shift points & held longer, and 6th gear is not used, unless you manually select it using paddles. Manual shifting does NOT revert to auto on it's own. Paddles do NOT have to be used unless you choose to use them (which then automatically enters manual mode).

I would never buy another automatic BMW w/o SAT.

PLUS the gear selector is much nicer looking w/ a leather boot. Missing from Step.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Members

^Thanks!!
Old 08-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I'll also add that with the sport automatic, you get the paddles. I frequently drive in manual mode (kick left into DS mode and use the paddles to manually shift). It's smooth responsive shifting without a jerk, and under your control to shift (low RPMs in traffic, or wound out a bit to have fun). It will only shift itself coming to near a stop (down to 2nd) or if hitting redline. Pressing the sport button sharpens the shifting considerably, plus it downshifts and starts from first from a stop for the best acceleration.