DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

2008 535i air box removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

for the jb+ install: open the hood, close all doors and lock the car via key fob for ~20 min (let the car go into sleep mode). If you don't want to wait you can just unhook the negative terminal of the battery in the trunk....

***install instruction of the jb+ can also be found @ http://www.burgertuning.com/support.html

loosen two hose clamps that connect two hoses/air ducts to the air box, if you are facing the engine, there will be one to the lower right, just right to the air snorkel...

the other is just above the air box, closer to the front wind shield

next, there are three rubber plugs (grey/silver) just to the right that are connecting some wire loom to the air hose you just loosened...pulls those up (towards the sky)

Disconnect this hose that just above the snorkel (3 parts). Squeeze the plastic ring and pull up to disconnect the left part of the hose (left red circle). Just pull the hose from the tab on the (middle red circle). Push the hose down to disconnect from the 3rd/last attachment (right red circle)

Retract the snorkel from the air box, it takes a little effort, but it will come disconnected..just pull towards you/back...just pull enough to get the snorkel to disconnect...

now all you have to do is pull the air box straight up, it will take a little effort as these 2 rubber plugs (I removed the air box cover in the pic below to show you what I am talking about) are the only things that should be giving you resistance (along with a little from the two air hoses/ducts you loosened the clamps for initially

now the TMAP sensor should be easily seen and accessible...plug the jb+ in and enjoy...

***when you are reconnecting the air box, the snorkel should be the first thing you line up (followed by those 2 rubber stoppers I showed with the air box cover off), I lined it up last and it was pretty hard to maneuver the snorkel to hook up to the air box again. Just reconnect and tighten everything else and you should be good to go....
Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Great write-up Gene

I take it that you've got the JB+/JB3 installed
Old 06-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='900239' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:51 PM
Great write-up Gene

I take it that you've got the JB+/JB3 installed
, just the jb+, still on the fence about the jb3...going to the ecu still intimidates me a bit
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 535i

wow, thank you so much for going put of your way to make this for me. I did about 90% of everything you said but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to pull it out. thanks again
Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Members

out*
Old 06-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gwizzzzz' post='900483' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:33 PM
wow, thank you so much for going put of your way to make this for me. I did about 90% of everything you said but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to pull it out. thanks again
nice, glad it helped Like I said, it just takes a little bit of effort was everything is disconnected...
Old 06-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Nice!

I say duu the JB3!!! I can show you how easier it is to install than changing diapers. Lol...
Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='900660' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:15 AM
Nice!

I say duu the JB3!!! I can show you how easier it is to install than changing diapers. Lol...
, I do no of one that might be going up for sale soon
Old 06-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Members

Gene,

how was it that you used the BT? how does it work? i've heard of it, but it looks kinda confusing...
Old 06-05-2009, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gwizzzzz' post='901575' date='Jun 5 2009, 02:23 AM
Gene,

how was it that you used the BT? how does it work? i've heard of it, but it looks kinda confusing...
luckily I do not need one, I have pre 29.2 SW, so tuner detection is not on my e60. I have had my car scanned tho just in case, when they were finishing the beta testing of the JB+ (I was a beta tester). Yours being a 2009 will for sure have tuner detection. The BT plugs into the OBD port in the lower left panel on the driver side, the other end of the cable plugs into a lap top. The program that comes with the BT cable allows you to scan your car for tuner codes and delete as needed from your laptop.

you can pm member Mike@N54tuning.com or even http://www.burgertuning.com/contact.html for more info.....

were you ale to get the air box off and jb+ installed?

Quick Reply: 2008 535i air box removal