E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Instead of continuing with the previous long thread (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=38905 ) I thought I'd just say that I've finally managed to get this working and put neatly inside a small enough enclosure. Its completely plug and play. The only issue that people may encounter is the intial strobing and occasional strobing of the turn leds which is probably down to the LCM model used on the car.

Attached a few photos of the kit. This one is being put together for Cwest in the US so that he can confirm that it works fine with US spec cars too.

The only problem so far that I've found is that it take too long to put each kit together because its completely custom made and put together by hand. It would have been nice to put this into a black enclosure but I can't seem to find a flame proof black box in the dimensions I was looking for.

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-dsc00556.jpg
LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-dsc00557.jpg
LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-dsc00558.jpg
LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-dsc00559.jpg

EDIT : Now continued here http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=50044
Old 07-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Nice work Bruce!

What's the asking price? I know were trying to establish demand to see if you can do them at a reduced cost but just curious what a single unit would cost?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look Awsome bruce can't wait to recive the finish product.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow good job bruce!! it looks very clean and modular. i can't imagine the time it will take to solder the parts by hands, will be tedious and time consuming. nevertheless, finally alot of people will be able to enjoy the look of their new LCI taillights.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

nice work i'd like to buy a pair if the price isnt too high
Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Wow. Good stuff. I haven't really been following the other thread but this is looking good.

And news to me, now that I am seeing more LCI models out, the turn signals are blinking red instead of yellow in pre-LCI.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow nice! awesome.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

looks good man. nice job
Old 07-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='444239' date='Jul 7 2007, 12:00 AM
Instead of continuing with the previous long thread (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=38905 ) I thought I'd just say that I've finally managed to get this working and put neatly inside a small enough enclosure. Its completely plug and play. The only issue that people may encounter is the intial strobing and occasional strobing of the turn leds which is probably down to the LCM model used on the car.
So skill and perseverance pay off. Well done.

So

a) What "initial" strobing? First ever initialisation of the system or every application of the brakes? And how occasional is occasional - random?

b) Does this indicate that there will be or isn't a BMW-sourced retrofit at the moment? I ask because I DO know how you like your DIY projects.

ABC
Old 07-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='444366' date='Jul 7 2007, 09:15 AM
So skill and perseverance pay off. Well done.

So

a) What "initial" strobing? First ever initialisation of the system or every application of the brakes? And how occasional is occasional - random?

b) Does this indicate that there will be or isn't a BMW-sourced retrofit at the moment? I ask because I DO know how you like your DIY projects.

ABC
Some people have said that they get an intial strobing of the Turn light when they start the car. I don't get that at all. Also people have noticed that once every 4-5 mins the turn light blinks for a fraction of a second. Its so fast that you will have to look for it very very carefully to spot it and even when you see it you're not sure if your eyes are playing tricks with you or you actually saw the bulb flash. This is actually the LCM checking to see if the bulb still works even when the turn light is off, but with a normal bulb the pulse is so short that it doesn't even light up, but because they have now been replacement with LEDs which response instantaneously to the pulse.

I don't think its hard for BMW to make a retrofit. But at best its going to involve a cable, a recode and/or replace of the LCM.

Quick Reply: LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working