DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Passenger Airbag Disabled Warning / Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I just finished helping a member do some updating on his EGS (tranny software) and he told me he had an airbag warning for some time. He read it out with DIS and it was the SBSR (passenger for U.S. vehicles) and he was told by dealer that his vehicle doesn't fall under the recall.
I believe he tried to wire in one of those Seat Mat Sensor Bypass things but it didn't workout.

I don't have a photo of the actual code in the Instrument Cluster (maybe someone can provide). As I understand the "passenger airbag is off" light by sunroof is actually dependent on year and modules of vehicle...I think member tonyb635 stumbled upon this while seeking info for his issue.

If you want to code out the error so it does not continually pop up, it will shut the seat mat sensor detector off. This will not mess with the airbag or deployment, it will just tell the sensor not to check for the weight of the person etc etc..

Modulle: SBSR

OC3_SBSR
nicht_aktiv

We have verified several times that it works. All you need is a cable and NCS. We both have the EUAutoHaus cable. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...ht_2409wt_1185
We both have the entire software package but if you just want cable it's up to you. After dealing with other software from here and there and errors I finally threw in the towel!

Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is great news. I too have a Passenger Restrain System Malfunction(Airbag light), I believe it is the seat mat sensor ( it was once replaced under recall back in 2009.

I've been clearing the Error memory through INPA and sometimes the light returns, and at times, it stays off. So i'd love to turn off the warning. I'd just like to double check if this is true that it does/will not interfere with the airbag deployment/seat belt chime? anything at all?

Thanks for the great find!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

It's just the sensor has nothing to do with impact. If anything, it will constantly think someone is in the seat. Not sure about the seat belt chime.

rocksteady530 what did find out about the seatbelt chime does it continue to dong or not?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Members

Ok sounds good, I was looking through my backed up/saved .trc files and apparently i did not backup/read the SBSR module, as I do not have it in my folder. I will be going back into the car tomorrow to read it again and hope its there and I just haven't connected to it before.

In the worst case scenario I am unable to get it, is there another name for it? I do have other modules where I see airbag options but I do not want to mess with those.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

That line of code should be in your complete trace file. Just modify the whole trace file and upload it to that module
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Members

Alright, I will report back tomorrow, hopefully I am able to find the SBSR module to upload the code to. Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I just finished helping a member do some updating on his EGS (tranny software) and he told me he had an airbag warning for some time. He read it out with DIS and it was the SBSR (passenger for U.S. vehicles) and he was told by dealer that his vehicle doesn't fall under the recall.
I believe he tried to wire in one of those Seat Mat Sensor Bypass things but it didn't workout.

I don't have a photo of the actual code in the Instrument Cluster (maybe someone can provide). As I understand the "passenger airbag is off" light by sunroof is actually dependent on year and modules of vehicle...I think member tonyb635 stumbled upon this while seeking info for his issue.

If you want to code out the error so it does not continually pop up, it will shut the seat mat sensor detector off. This will not mess with the airbag or deployment, it will just tell the sensor not to check for the weight of the person etc etc..

OC3_SBSR
nicht_aktiv

We have verified several times that it works. All you need is a cable and NCS. We both have the EUAutoHaus cable. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...ht_2409wt_1185
We both have the entire software package but if you just want cable it's up to you. After dealing with other software from here and there and errors I finally threw in the towel!
Good info here. Mine turned out to be caused by the seat leather and turing on only the over head light. I haven't yet seen a warning on my screen. I checked on the sensor repair and it comes with the seat cushion with a cost of around 300.00 for the part. Not sure what labor would run to have something like this installed. I also seen a post but can't find it now where you can possibly just purchase the sensor and install it in you own seat cushion. Not sure what I would do at the moment if my light was on.. I guess it would depend on what the total cost might add up to.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OC3_SBSR
nicht_aktiv

Yes, I can vouch for this because I was the patient in question...LOL. I did try wiring one of those sensor bypass but it still didn't work for me after several error code clearing. With the recommend tools by AchtungE60, we were able to get the fault light cleared. My "passenger airbag is off" light went off which indicated that it thinks someone is in the seat so the AB should function as normal.

Its always good when you can pick the brain of "Encyclopedia Brown"
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just the sensor has nothing to do with impact. If anything, it will constantly think someone is in the seat. Not sure about the seat belt chime.

rocksteady530 what did find out about the seatbelt chime does it continue to dong or not?

Nope - no Chime.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by rocksteady530
Nope - no Chime.
OK, so the light you put out is the warning light on the iDrive screen and NOT the overhead light (Yellow/orange). I'm being told that if the light up top is not operating correctly it can be caused by the leather as in my case. It's just an advisory light that tells you that the seat thinks someone is in it or not. If the light in the iDrive screen is illuminated which required a reset through the OBD to remove, this is telling you the sensor is faulty and one really doesn't know for sure what the airbag will do (deploy or not). My guess would be the fail-safe side of the the system would at least ensure that it would deploy regardless.

Quick Reply: Passenger Airbag Disabled Warning / Recall