E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Anybody running Style 166 M5 wheels on E61 xi ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Found nice pix gallery here with these wheels on 530d, it belongs to Patrick_E61 member - the wheels look fantastic
Hopefully Patrick can chime in on the fit and driving impressions.
Here is his ride:

My link

However, since offset is pretty low for 166 wheels I am wondering if I could run them on my xi wagon without any problem?
Also, there seems to be 2 different offsets available for the rear (in staggered setup):

E60 M5 M166
FRONT: 19x8.5 (255/40R-19) ET12
REAR: 19x9.5 (285/35R-19) ET17 or ET28

What spacers would I need to accommodate these wheels?
Or these won't fit xi period?

I do not care for staggered setup much, would I be able to run 19x8.5 ET12 on all 4 corners?
Also, would the car look funny with 19" rims on stock suspension?

Would replicas be a way to go in size 18" and offset closer to ET43 ?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

afaik its impossible to fit oem 166 wheels to an xi car. they will stick massively out of the fenders

19 inch on stock xi suspension will look funny
also, 18 inch m5 replicas on a e61 will look hideous and also embarassing, imho

my advice is either get all - suspension and really nice 19 inch wheels with right offset, oem or replica
or keep it stock, with a beautiful set of oem 18 inch wheels

both is equally beautiful, if you ask me
Old 08-19-2011, 05:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

If you search this has been discussed so many times, you'll have no problem running style 166 on xi model, it'll look wrong (taco mobile style?) 'cuz it'll protrude way pass the fender as seen on the following link:

http://forums.5serie...__1#entry167302 (granted it's not wagon but the same base car w/ difference around the trunk area )

It's been many threads (note that the post on the thread above dated back to 2005) about offsets, you don't want any smaller offset on xi model any less than ET30-ET35 up front. Not sure if you you know that by adding spacer will decrease the offset number so it'll shift the wheel outward some more.

If you wonder why Patric_E61 wagon can use style 166 model 'cuz his wagon is RWD model, unlike here in Europe wagon available in both AWD & RWD version while X-Drive only for US model.

Lastly, yes it'll look like SUV if you go 19" rims on stock suspension since less tire sidewall seems to increase fender wheel gap visually.

Other thing is you don't want to that tire sizes it'll rub especially upfront 'cuz its M5 fitment.

But maybe some people like such look () not sure about your self.

GL!

Originally Posted by vash68
Found nice pix gallery here with these wheels on 530d, it belongs to Patrick_E61 member - the wheels look fantastic
Here is his ride:

My link

However, since offset is pretty low for 166 wheels I am wondering if I could run them on my xi wagon without any problem?
Also, there seems to be 2 different offsets available for the rear (in staggered setup):

E60 M5 M166

I do not care for staggered setup much, would I be able to run 19x8.5 ET12 on all 4 corners?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
If you search this has been discussed so many times, you'll have no problem running style 166 on xi model, it'll look wrong (taco mobile style?) 'cuz it'll protrude way pass the fender as seen on the following link:

http://forums.5serie...__1#entry167302 (granted it's not wagon but the same base car w/ difference around the trunk area )

It's been many threads (note that the post on the thread above dated back to 2005) about offsets, you don't want any smaller offset on xi model any less than ET30-ET35 up front. Not sure if you you know that by adding spacer will decrease the offset number so it'll shift the wheel outward some more.

If you wonder why Patric_E61 wagon can use style 166 model 'cuz his wagon is RWD model, unlike here in Europe wagon available in both AWD & RWD version while X-Drive only for US model.

Lastly, yes it'll look like SUV if you go 19" rims on stock suspension since less tire sidewall seems to increase fender wheel gap visually.

Other thing is you don't want to that tire sizes it'll rub especially upfront 'cuz its M5 fitment.

But maybe some people like such look () not sure about your self.

GL!
Thanks for the link, my bad, I was searching in E61 forum only
I like that getto look !!! j/k!

Yes, 530d is a RWD, I realize that, was just wondering if it is so much different in wheel sizing?
Agree, replicas is not something I'd like to use on expensive car like this.

OK guys, I did a search on lowering of E61 xi, but all that came up was rear suspension lowering using some adjustable threaded links made by a guy in Europe.
And nothing on the front susp.

What options do we have here in US?
Or can we use/order a sport suspension for RWD E61? Do RWD wagons also have air susp in the rear?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Wheel size are exactly the same for AWD & RWD model (i.e. the size I'm using) but for us AWD model we have 23mm handicap on the offset.

You need to do more extensive research (search is your friend), for the xi model you only have a choice of H&R Sport Spring (like I'm using) and a limited availability of Bilstein dampers or go all the way (possibly 5x the price) using coilovers by KW v3 for suspension.

Unfortunately, suspension for RWD & AWD model are not inter-changeable

GL!

Thanks for the link, my bad, I was searching in E61 forum only
I like that getto look !!! j/k!

Yes, 530d is a RWD, I realize that, was just wondering if it is so much different in wheel sizing?
Agree, replicas is not something I'd like to use on expensive car like this.

OK guys, I did a search on lowering of E61 xi, but all that came up was rear suspension lowering using some adjustable threaded links made by a guy in Europe.
And nothing on the front susp.

What options do we have here in US?
Or can we use/order a sport suspension for RWD E61? Do RWD wagons also have air susp in the rear?

Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

The OEM 166 wont fit XI due to the offsets... but you can buy 166 replica
Old 08-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xiT

Here is his ride:

My link

E60 M5 M166

Thanks!
Here is a photo of our car with 18" 166M style wheels in gunmetal. Got them thru OEM Wheels Plus. 18 x 8 and 18 x9 in offsets that work with an xi. They also have them in 19". However, I believe they only sell them as a staggered set - in case you only want a square set up.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody running Style 166 M5 wheels on E61 xi ?-p5312685.jpg  
Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dr.s
Here is a photo of our car with 18" 166M style wheels in gunmetal. Got them thru OEM Wheels Plus. 18 x 8 and 18 x9 in offsets that work with an xi. They also have them in 19". However, I believe they only sell them as a staggered set - in case you only want a square set up.

Any more pictures of that car? Looks sweet!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xiT

Originally Posted by 355dreamer
Any more pictures of that car? Looks sweet!
Here are a couple more. Looks like the file size of a lot of my photos are too large to attach.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody running Style 166 M5 wheels on E61 xi ?-p5302677.jpg   Anybody running Style 166 M5 wheels on E61 xi ?-p5172665.jpg  
Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi wagon. Monaco Blue/Dakota Brown interior, M Package

so, can we put 255/40/19 all the way around on our xi wagon?... or any staggered combination thereof? what width wheel is that?

I must be a total idiot but i can't understand how this offset calculator works, and despite searching, I haven't seen anyone yet who has an xi wagon they DON"T want to lower (I don't because roads here are so bad) and so is thinking of trying to reduce fender gap with 19" wheels with a slightly taller sidewall tire on a 19" wheel (40 instead of 35 like most are installing). If someone can tell me if this setup works (ideally with a picture) I'm just going to click on modbargains and buy a set of those generic multispokes and be done with it.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Anybody running Style 166 M5 wheels on E61 xi ?