DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

The LCI Headlight and Tail Light mod has been all but beaten to death in these forums and the last thing I want to do is post another thread on how its done. Some great references can be found here:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/106...-to-lci-xenon/
https://5series.net/forums/topic/468...celift-lights/
https://5series.net/forums/topic/103...en-conversion/
https://5series.net/forums/topic/111...-lci-retrofit/

Well I completed the install today and needless to say I ran into a few hitches that cost me a lot of wasted time. I wanted to touch more on things you need to look out for that could turn an already potential long mod into a a total nightmare.

(01) First things first, be very careful with the Retrofit Cable Set [ 61 12 0 432 110 ]. It contains exactly the amount of pins you need for the install and not one more! If you happen to damage a pin, you're screwed. Also my kit was short one weatherproof grommet so it may be worth your while to try to salvage some from the old connectors.

What the install instructions don't tell you is how to remove the pins from the old connectors in the car. Although it is possible to remove the pins, there is really no need to. Just cut the wires off as close as you can get them to the connector. Even if you were to remove the pins you'll have to cut and strip them and prepare them for crimping the new connectors on, regardless.

(02) The pins supplied are intended to be crimped onto the associated vehicle wire harness with the use of a crimping tool to ensure the pin holds firmly in place. Given that most of us do not have access to this tool, you'll need a strong, small needle-nose pliers to bend the pin flaps around the wire end.

Further, it would be a great idea to solder the wires in place once you've crimped them with the needle-nose pliers. Remember to insert the weather proof grommet on each wire before you do all this. Check the posted pic for clarity on this.
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci004.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci003.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci002.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci01.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Contributors

Whiles we are on the topic of harnesses. My rear harnesses for the Tail Lights were a complete and utter disaster! They were both wired incorrectly directly from the factory and cost me over four hours of trouble-shooting before I was able to identify the root cause based on some sound advice from others who had experienced the same faith. (Thanks to BlaSTiWi and Nelson29 for this).

Once my install was complete, four errors showed up on my iDrive screen. Initially I thought I must have done something wrong in coding the new LMA module I had installed, but this was not the case.

(01) A word of caution, check these harnesses very very carefully before you install them. Countless others have attested that during their install they ran into similar problems only to find out the pin-out on the Tail Light harnesses were wrong. Nothing in the BMW installation instructions suggest that any pins should be changed for the E60 install. Non that I could find anyway.

(02) The image is a cut-n-paste of various portions of the PDF document from BMW for the install. It show the harness that you must check carefully and the simple instructions BMW gives you to demonstrate how to install it.

(03) Ensure that the wires that run from the G1 connector to the X319S and wires that run from the H1 connector to the X318S are the same as in the schematic. For reference, the WS/SW (White/Black Wire) which is supposed to be located at PIN 6 of the H1 connector was actually located at PIN 7 in my application. Also check to ensure your wire colors within the harness/connector matches the associated wire colors based on your connection to the harness in the vehicle. On each of my two harnesses. Two wires were crossed.
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci006.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci005.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Contributors

The wire color references used in the documentation may be a little confusing if your not automotive inclined. Here's a quick legend of what each color is based on the descriptions used. It is actually in the documentation but buried in the back pages where you may only see if after you've wasted time scourging the internet for the same info.
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci007.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Contributors

You'll have to rip apart various parts of your car for this install and not knowing how to dissemble different areas will cost you a lot of time and potential damage to panels etc. To remove your original lights, you can find a great how-to video on YouTube here:

(01) It is a good idea to use Blue Painters tape around the edges of your bumper and the perimeter of each light as you are bound to bruise your bumper and paint unless you use extreme caution. The Head Lights are a tight fit.

(02) Its also very likely that the new lights you purchased will not come with Ballasts AHL modules or Xenon bulbs. Remember to swap these over from the old light fixtures before putting them into your car. (Seems like an obvious point but I somehow forgot, LOL).
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci009.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci008.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Contributors

If you have to swap your LMA Module for the newer version (Production year of your vehicle prior to 09/06), you'll need to take the panel out that covers the underside of your steering wheel and drive-side foot-well. Also locating the Module may be a little challenging given that BMW stashes it away nicely.

Here's a link to the panel removal from post # 2 on.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/112...1#entry1330649

Also a few pics of the LMA module location...
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci012.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci011.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci011.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Contributors

In order to run the two wires from the LMA module to the trunk of your car you'll have to possibly remove the door sills on the drivers door and rear-left passenger door, the back seat must be removed and three panels within the trunk. I was able to "tuck" the wires underneath the door sills so I ended up not removing those panels, I did however have to remove/dissemble the back seat and remove panels in the trunk.

Here's a great link showing the removal of the back seat, the trim in the trunk and even the door sills if need be. From post #618 on:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/994.../page__st__615
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci014.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Contributors

If you plan on programming your LMA module yourself I would presume that you already have a sound understanding of the use of NSCExpert. A few points to note:

(01) Your Vehicle Order may need the inclusion of the string string +MUEB which demonstrates the upgrade to LCI Lights.
(02) You may also need to update the manufacture date of your car so that the correct LMA module appears in your module list. #0909 worked well for me.
(03) To update your VO, IN NSCExpert once your profile is loaded and your VIN has been established, press F2 to enter FA. Choose E60 chassis, click OK for VIN, Highlight #0306 (<- my car's production date) and hit the Delete key on the keyboard. Enter the string #0909 in the Attribute window and click the "Add button. The same applies for adding the +MUEB string to the VO although in this instance you have nothing to delete prior.
(04) To program the module create an empty PSW_TSW.MAN file and upload it to the LMA. NCSExpert will take care of the rest.

For other cool program features you can modify within your LMA module, check out this thread here:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/108...1#entry1285835
Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Contributors

Once you're all done with coding, you're hoping for this welcome sign in the iDrive screen....Ha Ha.
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci015.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Contributors

I'll be changing my Xenons to match my HID Fog lights and also upgrading to HID Angel eyes in the coming days. I'll post some pics of that process and what the results look like. The purpose of changing the Xenons is to match the 6000K HID Fog lights I installed last year.

Also, if I remember anything else that gave me hell, I'll add it to this tread. Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding this install. I'll be happy to share my experiences.

Cheers!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Excellent post Nigel. I didn't document this last time, and I am sure this will help many people to come.

Quick Reply: Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install