DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

Great job and amazing write up .Nigal ,,, happy for you dude ,, finally you've done it ..
Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Excellent post Nigel. I didn't document this last time, and I am sure this will help many people to come.
Thanks for the positive comments Simon. Your help and advice with NCSExpert definately helped me get through this also.

Great job and amazing write up .Nigal ,,, happy for you dude ,, finally you've done it
Thanks Ehssan. Your assistance and information is also always appreciated.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Excellent tips and nice that you included various links to other threads for anyone wishing to tackle this.

How long did the whole install take?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent write up! well done!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Contributors

Excellent tips and nice that you included various links to other threads for anyone wishing to tackle this.
How long did the whole install take?
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

jas_r_1,
To be honest when I started the mod I was cooking with gas. I already have a fair bit of experience taking the lights, out, removing relevant panels, taking out the back seat etc etc. I had the front lights re-wired and installed, the LMA module installed and re-wired and wires routed to the trunk and new harnesses installed for the Tail Lights in just under four hours. (Terminating the connectors for the front head lights was probably one of the more time consuming exercises through this.

Programming the LMA was also a very quick process but the errors that resulted in the iDrive stopped me dead in my tracks. I ending up trouble-shooting the system for at least another four hours until I used the feedback I got from the forums to find the root cause and fix the problems I was having with the OEM harnesses in the tail lights.

All in all the exercise was some 9+ hours once I had the seats back in and all the panels in place etc. I'm willing to bet I could do it in half the time if I were to try this again..It was one of the more challenging mods I have done though. The BMW service bulletin suggests 5-1/2 hours for the install.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Contributors

I just got done installing the new Xenon's 6000K D1S bulbs and ballasts along with the 8000k HID Angel Eyes to match 6000K Fogs I installed last year. Big thank you to John@Motorcepts. This install was relatively quick (approx. two hours).

John posted a how-to here so I won't get into the nitty-gritty other than to say the end result is just fabulous!! New LCI Head lights and new HID bulbs, all in one weekend. What more can a dude ask for!

https://5series.net/forums/topic/967...angel-eyes-v2/
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci25.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci27.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Contributors

A few random shots. Having the right tools for the job makes things go by very easily.
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci26.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci20.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci21.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci22.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Now I'm hiding two ballasts, a relay and a black box to take care of ECU errors, under each of my Head Lights. I'm taking on more an more wieght with these mods. Gonna have to find myself some extra HP now just to keep up. Ha ha.
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci23.jpg   Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install-lci24.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Nice and clean! Washed the car too?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Contributors

Nice and clean! Washed the car too?
Hey Simon,
The car is dirty as all hell but I took the pictures at sundown and the light worked in my favor. I'm really loving how my front-end looks. Crazy bright!

Quick Reply: Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install