E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Eisenmann active exhaust on BMW 550i

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I am fairly new to this forum but have had a good look through many of the threads.

I currently have a 2007 550i which comes with BMW's standard twin rear mufflers exiting together on the left side but with one closed off by a valve except under load and revs. I love the quiet refined tone it gives the car at low revs driving gently and would like to keep that. The problem is that when you do open up the exhaust valve for the second muffler it doesn't make much difference and the car doesn't really develop any exhaust note. From what I have managed to find out, only Eisenmann make a sport system which still uses a twin muffler and a controlling valve to give an active set up. Does anyone have any experience with this set up and, if so, how have you found it in terms of quietness in gentle driving and a more aggressive note under power. Alternatively, I would be interested to hear any experiences people might have had with other exhaust options on the 550i if it fits my requirements or of anyones experience on Eisenmann exhausts generally.

I have attached a file for the Eisenmann exhaust I have been looking at which shows its structure.

Thanks in advance for any comments I might receive.

Cheers,

Peter.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Eisenmann Brochure.pdf (1.41 MB, 733 views)
Old 05-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

It's very loud. Trust me. I heard one on an m5 and it's like a harley. Lol
Old 05-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Aside from an old Honda CBR954RR I used to ride, I've never seen a real use for the valve. Some say (speculate) that it has something to do with the torque curve, and I won't argue - but cutting that restrictive bottleneck out of my exhaust was one of my first mods. I have seen countless reviews on RPI exhaust which does away with that system completely and it doesn't seem to raise an eyebrow. So I would just go with whatever sound clip makes you happy and enjoy the results. Fact of the matter is the 550i is prety understated out of the box (typical Germans) and has a lot more to give if you let it out.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

My neighbor has one on his blackout m5. It is super loud, and you can hear him a 1/4 mile await. But he said it does not drone . . . so I don't know. To me, even the magnaflows straight through are loud and drones very much at 1800 rpm when the engine is tugging.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 AM
Members

Eisenmann make different sound levels for different customer tastes and cars. The loud ones people have referred to are probably the race versions which are intended to be loud.

The sport version I am looking at is the one which retains a valve. I have tried tying open the existing valve on my car to see what difference it makes if it is open all the time and it basically makes the car a little less silent, especially on start up, but it sounds about the same under heavier throttle because the valve is open in those situations normally. There is no perceptible difference in power as at the lower throttle and revs, the engine simply doesn't need the extra gas flow. It is done, I believe, purely to give the car a quieter note on lighter throttle which still allowing it to breath at revs. I like the quietness on light throttle and am therefore happy to keep a system with a two stage exhaust. My problem is simply that it doesn't let it express itself enough once the valve opens to let the second part of the exhaust work. Done right it could be the really great compromise between quiet driven carefully with a nice note when you open the taps.

Please keep your thoughts coming including any experience anyone may have with the Remus which is more conventional but are generally pretty conservative anyway.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

Sounds amazing hrd it on Turtle's car today
Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 E60 550i

I'm in the same boat as you Pete. I looked at Eisenmann's quad exhaust, but seeing the extra 2 pipes had no mufflers (due to lack of space), made me give up that idea.

Most of the Eisenmann exhausts people refer to here, are on M5s. Yes, these are loud, but I believe Pete is interested in the single muffler exhaust. Has anynone heard/installed that one on a E60? Preferebly a 550
Old 05-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

I have an Eisenmann Race exhaust on my 545, no valve, only the two pipes on the driver's side. It isn't loud at all. I don't know about the quads.

Edit: I should also mention I left the factory resonator in place, and removal or replacement of that with an aftermarket piece would certainly raise the volume a good bit.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Cinder
I'm in the same boat as you Pete. I looked at Eisenmann's quad exhaust, but seeing the extra 2 pipes had no mufflers (due to lack of space), made me give up that idea.

Most of the Eisenmann exhausts people refer to here, are on M5s. Yes, these are loud, but I believe Pete is interested in the single muffler exhaust. Has anynone heard/installed that one on a E60? Preferebly a 550
I'm not a fan of fake pipes. From the look of the diagram, Eisenmann pipes for quads are for cosmetics since there are no muffler only after the split pipes. From the look of those cans, they will be louder than stock. The stock muffler, valve or no valve, are insulated and channeled.

Sorry, I have no idea of Eisenmann on non M5. I would safely bid that it is louder than stock, but not annoyingly loud.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 550i SMG, HUD, Cold Weather/Sport Package, Mtech front bumper, Oem M5 rear bumper, V1 Concealed, RPI Scoop, 6000K HID both Fog and Headlight, M5 mirrors, LED interior lighting, M5 SMG Shift Knob, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust Quad Pipe, 30% Tint, Sprint B
Model Year: 2007

I will be installing an eisemman quad exhaust on my 550i tomorrow. I currently have a custom maganaflow setup. I will video tape both setups to compare.

Quick Reply: Eisenmann active exhaust on BMW 550i