E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Has this happened before

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2004 E60 built 07/04 with navigation, logic 7, voice command and cd changer, i took the car to my local bmw dealers and i asked the service advisor if he can try and activate my bluetooth and mp3, the guy was very nice and told me he can try, i left my car there and when i got it back my bluetooth was working and i was told i have the new software and they are not sure if the mp3 is working or not but if it didnt work there is nothing they can do!!..... i came back to the house and tried a mp3 cd in cd, dvd, and cd changer but it didnt work now im very disappointed and i wanted to see if anyone here had the same problem or Any ideas or suggestions.

NOTE: i want the mp3 to work so i can control the ipod and see song name, title etc on the idrive when i instal the ipod adapter or dension gateway 500

all your help is much appreciated.
Mark.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

It needs to be retrofited, updating the software will not do it alone. When they did the update they should have added the MP3 as a retrofit job.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BLooD
It needs to be retrofited, updating the software will not do it alone. When they did the update they should have added the MP3 as a retrofit job.
how do i know for sure?... the guy said he did everything he can but im not sure if he knew what he was doing..... at first i thought the bluetooth was the hardest part and now i dont know if i should go somewhere else!!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Contributors

For starters the CD-changer can not read mp3`s only the cd/dvd drives, only way to know for sure is to ask the dealer if they did it or not. If they are willing to read out your vehicle order it should have "KMP3" added to it.

Unfortunately some service centres just don`t have a clue and this seams to be a universal thing as I have had the same trouble here in the UK.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Contributors

For starters the CD-changer can not read mp3`s only the cd/dvd drives, only way to know for sure is to ask the dealer if they did it or not. If they are willing to read out your vehicle order it should have "KMP3" added to it.

Unfortunately some service centres just don`t have a clue and this seams to be a universal thing as I have had the same trouble here in the UK.

+1000, I spent an hour arguing with the dealer when they proudly informed me they had coded it and I had a duff cd full of mp3s... in the end only way I could convince them was to get them to bring another car round to the front and popped my mp3 cd in their car and it worked so clearly showing they have not coded the car properly.

As Blood says the only sure way of knowing if it was coded would be to get the VO read out by them and ask them to verify KMP3 was added..

If you have access to a mp3 compatible car /hi fi put it in and see if it recognises the tracks if so you can rule out the cd..if the dealership wont play ball try somewhere else...and take the cd with you so they can test it before giving the car back to you..
Old 12-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Contributors

Mind you if they have not done what you asked then ask to speak to some one higher up as they have taken your money and not done what you asked them to.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Members

Mind you if they have not done what you asked then ask to speak to some one higher up as they have taken your money and not done what you asked them to.
it looks like im gonna have to take the car back and try one more time, i just find it hard to believe to have logic 7 and bluetooth and not being able to have mp3 added!! i would've believed it if my car was a basic modle, do you think im right?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Contributors

You can have MP3 playback even on the basic model, I had it on my 2003 E60 with M.A.S.K basic nav.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Members

You can have MP3 playback even on the basic model, I had it on my 2003 E60 with M.A.S.K basic nav.
i see what your saying but im not sure if it's the same on european and us models!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Contributors

There was a bulletin made available when the 2006 model year came, 2006 and beyond had mp3 as standard and a retrofit was made available for cars made before 2006, this applies to US and Europe.

The bulletin is on this site some where.

Quick Reply: Has this happened before