DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

530d Oil Level at minimum

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the oil on my E60 about 2000 miles ago, used Castrol Edge 0W 30. I live with Irish weather. 500 miles ago (2 weeks) idrive showed up saying "Oil level at minimum level". I topped it up by 1/2 litre.

Today the same warning came up on idrive. I checked the oil level and it is again low. I have no leaks that I can see. I'm doing short trips from cold during the week and the car seems to be going fine. Motorways on every other weekend.

Is my 2006 E60 530d burning oil? If so, should it be burning this much? Should I change oil type? Any suggestions would really help guys.

Yeehaa
Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Interesting. My 2004 530d has never had such oil consumption, and it is rather rare, judging from forum posts.

If you don't have visible leaks, maybe your turbo is leaking oil into the engine, where it gets burnt away?

I have only noticed some oil consumption when doing spirited driving, but that's not the case with you it seems.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530D E60

Remove one of the boost hoses off the intercooler and see how much oil comes out. If there's a lot of oil in there it may be the turbo. Also your car will have the M57N2 engine in it which does not have anything fitted in the oil breather/separator box (just an empty box). Make sure someone has not inadvertently fitted one, as this may be causing excessive crankcase pressure forcing oil through the turbo seals.
If it is the turbo, get it seen to sooner rather than later.... you don't want the engine to start running on its own oil (you cannot shut it off!), then boom!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

I think the oil grade is not correct to begin with. Have you noticed and oil leaks where you normally park your car?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Members

Yes, it should be 5W30 oil your using. I don't honestly think the 0W30 stuff will be causing the high consumption tho, the difference between 0 and 5 is minimal, and its at the cold start range. Once the engine is hot, the oils perform the same.
Like Ali says, any leaks?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:54 AM
Members

No oil leaks where I park the car.

I noticed today that white smoke was coming from my exaust for a few seconds, then it stopped. 5 mins later on idrive "Engine oil level at minimum".

This is annoying me.

I just called a bmw dealer and he suggested that it maybe that the crankcase breather is blocked and this is allowing oil into the system - anyone any views on this?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

deleted
Old 11-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by YeeeHaa
No oil leaks where I park the car.

I noticed today that white smoke was coming from my exaust for a few seconds, then it stopped. 5 mins later on idrive "Engine oil level at minimum".

This is annoying me.

I just called a bmw dealer and he suggested that it maybe that the crankcase breather is blocked and this is allowing oil into the system - anyone any views on this?
Like i said above, if your engine is an M57N2, the crankcase breather is just an empty box with no 'Loo roll' or 'Vortex' type element fitted....so its very unlikely that it is blocked. You really need to investigate where the oil is going before something bad happens

Heres a video of a diesel X5 running on its own engine oil, owner was lucky a fellow motorist knew what to do (i still reckon the engine will have suffered some damage tho)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Contributors

How many miles on your 530d? I agree, that oil consumption indicates ta problem with a leak or other mechanical problem.

Also, check your coolant for signs of oil - the coolant may show a whitish oily or foamy mix (a bit like the head on your Guinness). If it does, that is an indication of a cracked head or block in the vicinity of an oil galley.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gav900
Heres a video of a diesel X5 running on its own engine oil, owner was lucky a fellow motorist knew what to do (i still reckon the engine will have suffered some damage tho)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58SoI7YKr4o
Wow! what is the recommended action if this was to happen? Block the air intake? and let it choke itself out?

@Yeehaa the crank case breather/ coolant reservoir is a good place to start, if it's ok, I would get it on a ramp or the front up on axle stands and get undershield plastic off and look for leaks....

if the oil is low, why not swap it out for 5w30 especially if your noticing oil being burned when its cold...

Quick Reply: 530d Oil Level at minimum