E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

To buy or not to buy a 535xiT

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm currently looking to purchase a 535xiT (probably an '08). I have many questions/reservations and I thank anyone who responds with useful information in advance. While we've owned BMW's in the past, it seems that the 535 model is a different animal. I've heard plenty of bad with the HPFP issues resulting in many BMW buybacks. I'm also aware of the warranty extention on that part. If I can wrap my mind around the reliability of this vehical, I think pulling the trigger to purchase will be fairly easy. I would have many plans for this wagon that would include: mtech body kit, dinan software, etc. That's where you guys come in...

Questions:

1. Has anyone had any experience good or bad with the "new" HPFP parts that BMW is replacing with? Are they still failing? Last thing I want is to have those types of issues. What other potential problems should I be looking for?

2. I've seen e61's with the M5 body kit (albeit without the dual exhaust bumper). I think, in fact, bavauto.com sells the mtech kit that would look awesome. Anyone have this? Does it look as good as I think it will? Are the factory side skirts substantial enough to complete the look? I would plan on having it professionally painted and thinking about installing myself. Anyone have experience installing these themselves? Was it straightforward?

3. Dinan will do the software upgrade to increase horsepower to the high 300's. Anyone running with this? Any problems?

Again, thanks for reading and any info you can provide. Happy driving!

- Jon
Old 08-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xiT

As you can see from my sig I basically have what you are talking about. I can't help you with the HPFP because I don't know what it is but as I haven't had anything fail with my car I guess it's ok.

I ordered my car with the aerokit which in the US is dealer installed. I think it looks fantastic.

Finally, I have the DInan Stage 2 and have not had one problem with it .... makes a huge diff in HP and torque.

I'm really pissed that BMW won't be importing any more 5 series wagons so in about 2 years I'll have to switch to Audi or MB which I'd rather not do. Maybe I'll just hang on to my wagon as so far it's been excellent.

YMMV

Go for it.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Members

Thanks for the response. Yeah that does look pretty sweet! Glad to hear that you've had a good experience with the Dinan ecu upgrade and the car overall. The HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) tends to fail on these in a bad way from what I understand. I agree with you, it's unfortunate that BMW won't be importing any more 5 series wagons... Hopefully sales for that hatchback thing they are selling now aren't that good and they decide to bring the wagon back.

Originally Posted by 535xiT
As you can see from my sig I basically have what you are talking about. I can't help you with the HPFP because I don't know what it is but as I haven't had anything fail with my car I guess it's ok.

I ordered my car with the aerokit which in the US is dealer installed. I think it looks fantastic.

Finally, I have the DInan Stage 2 and have not had one problem with it .... makes a huge diff in HP and torque.

I'm YMMVreally pissed that BMW won't be importing any more 5 series wagons so in about 2 years I'll have to switch to Audi or MB which I'd rather not do. Maybe I'll just hang on to my wagon as so far it's been excellent.

Go for it.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Members

1) I ordered one of the last US E61s- November 2009 build date- and the HPFP failed with only 3,800 miles on it. So yes, there are still HPFP problems. The latest software update is supposed to fix the problem- I guess we will just have to wait and see. The HPFP problem isn't the end of the world, but it is a major inconvenience and a potential safety hazard. You just have to decide whether the potential problems are counterbalanced by the wagon's excellent driving and hauling characteristics. And it's not just HPFP problems- the E61 has sunroof and air suspension issues as well.

2) My own personal opinion about Dinan or any other "tuning" to the engine- wait until after the warranty has expired, so the dealers won't have an opportunity to blame any HPFP problems on your modifications.

3) The "aerodynamic kit" was a factory-installed option starting sometime during the 2009 model year, and my 2010 has it. IMHO, it is a huge improvement. You could look for a 2008-2010 with the kit already installed, or Tischer BMW (www.getbmwparts.com) sells it at a pretty good discount. For pictures of kitted vs. non-kitted E61s, check out the photo thread.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Check out E90post.com in the engine section to keep up on the latest on the HPFP saga...

I just took my 530xi in for sunroof leak #5 in 8 months and the Service adviser said that the HPFP's are getting better both hard ware wise and firmware wise, but they are still having issues.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535XI Wagon, Black on Black, Bamboo Anthracite wood, auto, sport, premium, value added, navigation, sunshades, rear heated seats, PDC, HD Radio, M Sport Areo Kit, Avant Garde M310 with Michillen Pilot Sport, Black, BMW Performance Grill, 2009 X5 4.8i Sport w/20inch wheels, Premium, Technology, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Rear Climate 2009 Honda Civic SI

I recently purchased a 2010 535xi. I had a severe electrical issue with 60 miles and car was at dealer for 17 days. Also, I had the M-Technic kit retrofitted. Be careful of pricing, the kit itself retails for around $1700, I paid significantly less. However, the other parts required cost an additional $1000 dollars. My vehicle has PDC which was the main reason. Finally, the paint and install was an additional $1500.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

I have a 08 and it has been trouble free. I run Shell or BP gas most of the time which may help with the fuel pump issue. BMW extended coverage to 100,000 so I am not that worried about the issue. The other known issue with the E61 is the drains from the sun roof. I have not had a problem but would suggest pulling the spare tire and looking for corrosion water stains. I think they improved the drains on the 08 model? I like the car so much that I will probably buy it at the end of the lease.

Don't know about performance kits for the car but have to say that the stock engine provides more than enough power.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by V70Cat
I have a 08 and it has been trouble free. I run Shell or BP gas most of the time which may help with the fuel pump issue.
I don't think gas is the issue. My 2010 got Shell premium exclusively and still failed within six months and 3,800 miles of delivery. There are many DI engines in the US market from other manufacturers, and they don't have any problems with American gasoline.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by ygbsm
I don't think gas is the issue. My 2010 got Shell premium exclusively and still failed within six months and 3,800 miles of delivery. There are many DI engines in the US market from other manufacturers, and they don't have any problems with American gasoline.
Don't know why they can't make a dependable fuel pump. I also wonder if it is related to driving style I don't generally accelerate hard unless getting on the highway and the roads around here are not such that I would push it really hard such as when you pass on a 2 lane road.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

FYI...

It's not the gas.... They have been having issues in Europe too where there is no Ethanol in the gas. It's been well documented, buy people that have only used Shell/Chevron gas and sill having issues (Me for one as well as others here) BMW at first in 07 model year on the 335's denied coverage due to high ethanol content... that changed after several lawsuits and reports to the NTSB.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy a 535xiT