Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tpms

Hey everyone,

just a simple question. found a set of 19" rims to replace my stock 18's. should I take the time to get the people at the tire shop to take my old spent tires off, take off my TMPS from stock wheels and put them on new ones OR can I buy new ones (that won't break the bank buying them) and just have them install and program them to fit car (if they can do that?)
Old 10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

In my experience, you're better off using the sensors from your old rims. Its a rare find to locate cheap ones and you know your car will recognize them. Just make sure the tire guys know what they're doing and take care in switching them.

You may not even need to reprogram them, but if you do, you do it yourself in the iDrive.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: TITANTPMS

Originally Posted by paul-g
Hey everyone,

just a simple question. found a set of 19" rims to replace my stock 18's. should I take the time to get the people at the tire shop to take my old spent tires off, take off my TMPS from stock wheels and put them on new ones OR can I buy new ones (that won't break the bank buying them) and just have them install and program them to fit car (if they can do that?)
Titan TPMS can get you set up with a new set of TPMS that won't "break the bank" We offer FREE Shipping with in the US! and great shipping out side the USA! Give me a call and ill get you taken care of!!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TitanTPMS
Titan TPMS can get you set up with a new set of TPMS that won't "break the bank"
We're still talking close to $200 here. My advice stands. Use your old ones, unless you think that it might make it harder to sell your rims (or you plan to use them for dedicated snow tires). The tires, if still salable, will probably go faster separate from the rims because you can list them to a wider audience on Craigslist.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Contributors

The advice already given - transfer your TPMS from the original to your new rims is spot on! You may require a "stem kit" is the rubber gaskets are torn or smashed. Your local BMW dealer parts department will have them for less than $10. And reassembly is important don't mix up the rubber gaskets or you may wind up with a leaking stem.

Last, but MOST IMPORTANT, be 200% certain the tire shop has lots of good experience dissembling wheels with sensors - they are dangerously close to where the irons most tire jockeys use to pry off the tires - ESPECIALLY with Run Flat Tires - and if they are not very careful it's easy to rip them apart AND screw up your wheels!!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: 09 BMW 550I

You can try TPMSDIRECT.COM. That's where I got a new OEM set from.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport F11 Sport Auto Carbon Black Black Dakota Leather Fineline Anthracite Sun Protection Glass Vis Pack Media Pack Pro

I have a 2011 F11 and use a winter wheel set, 17" 236 design. They don't have TPMS fitted (not available in 2011). I have today ordered a new f11 (530d MSport with a few goodies such as Adaptive LEDs and multifunction display but that's another story!). Is it possible to retrofit TPMS valves/sensors to these (they currently have rubber valves)? The dealership aren't confident but I don't always take their word for things!
Old 01-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Engine: N62

I took mine off the factory wheels and up them on the new ones with no problem. I wouldn't waste the money when you already have them and spend that loot on some Bruce cables or another type of upgrade. That's just me...
Old 01-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jmemahoney
I have a 2011 F11 and use a winter wheel set, 17" 236 design. They don't have TPMS fitted (not available in 2011). I have today ordered a new f11 (530d MSport with a few goodies such as Adaptive LEDs and multifunction display but that's another story!). Is it possible to retrofit TPMS valves/sensors to these (they currently have rubber valves)? The dealership aren't confident but I don't always take their word for things!
Absolutely! As long as you have the proper sensors. It just sucks that you have to dismount and remount your tires just to replace them.

I find it strange that TPMS were not standard on 2011 UK models. The US 5ers have had them since at least 2007.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport F11 Sport Auto Carbon Black Black Dakota Leather Fineline Anthracite Sun Protection Glass Vis Pack Media Pack Pro

Thanks for your comments. My concern is around the size of the hole the valve goes through. If different, the new tpms valves will leak... The alternative is that I drive with the warning light permanently on...

Quick Reply: Tpms