Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Michelin PS Sport vs Hankook

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need new tires ASAP. I will be running 245/35R20 on the front and 275/30R20 on the rear. The tire shop recommended the Michelin's because of the 500 rating. Can someone provide input? My car is lowered and I want the tires to last as long as they possibly can.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Members

I need new tires ASAP. I will be running 245/35R20 on the front and 275/30R20 on the rear. The tire shop recommended the Michelin's because of the 500 rating. Can someone provide input? My car is lowered and I want the tires to last as long as they possibly can.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

UTQG ratings:

- Micheline Pilot Super Sports: 300
- Hankook Ventus V12: 280

Unsure, where the shop got the 500 rating on the PSS. http://www.tirerack....lot+Super+Sport

UTQG rating is set by each manufacturer so it differs, but gives you a general idea.

I think longevity depends highly on your driving style. I have seen people with V12s lasting 12k miles vs. 24k miles. (both non tracking)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Members

My Ride: ///M5

If price isn't a issue, PSS FTW.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM
New Members

I have Michelin Pilot Sports on since March. 18" 245/40 in front and 275/30 in back. I love them. My car is not lowered, but I have spacers and there is minimal rubbing on speed bumps. Other than that they run quiet, handle great and have a 45,000 mile warranty. I had Hankooks on my e39 540. (8 years ago...) They didn't last. My $0.02
Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by HeavyTireSmoke
If price isn't a issue, PSS FTW.
I have run PS2 for years and now Mich Super Sport. The SS is designed to be squared sidewall and longer life. In my opinion they handle just as well as the PS2. It would be very hard to differentiate between the two for the average driver. Both are AWESOME. I would go SS if I was you. I have no exp with Hankook ut I can tell you Mich has been very good. Also, there is a 20K mi warranty on the SS with correct rotation, etc. Read the fine print but it is automatically guaranteed. There may be a lesser guar on the fronts vs. rears.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

There's a handful of un-happy Hankook rollers here that are having vibration problems with them. Which is enough to sway my vote. I haven't read any issues with Michelins so I would pick that. However, I'm rolling on Continental DWS and very happy with them. You can also look into Continental DW.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Members

My Ride: ///M5

Originally Posted by ColdList
I have run PS2 for years and now Mich Super Sport. The SS is designed to be squared sidewall and longer life. In my opinion they handle just as well as the PS2. It would be very hard to differentiate between the two for the average driver. Both are AWESOME. I would go SS if I was you. I have no exp with Hankook ut I can tell you Mich has been very good. Also, there is a 20K mi warranty on the SS with correct rotation, etc. Read the fine print but it is automatically guaranteed. There may be a lesser guar on the fronts vs. rears.
I actually noticed a huge difference on the M5 in PS2 and PSS in terms of wear and stickiness. The PSS are also have less noise than the PS2s. The only thing might be is the PS2 look little better.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by balbs
There's a handful of un-happy Hankook rollers here that are having vibration problems with them. Which is enough to sway my vote. I haven't read any issues with Michelins so I would pick that. However, I'm rolling on Continental DWS and very happy with them. You can also look into Continental DW.
really? and the vibration was due to the tires and not the actual install (mount and balance)

OP: have you looked at http://www.vredestein.com/ ? they just released the vorti line, which is their successor to their popular ultrac sessanta line...another "bang for your buck" tire with good reviews and performance...do some googling, might be worth your time..
Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

I went thru 2 sets of HKs in the rear very quickly. Yeah -ve camber wear accelerated treadware but I wouldnt do it again. Running conti DW, sprints and corners as hard as ever and plenty of treadware left. Car is lowered. DW's quite and comfy too but lack some steering response. i would go PSS over HK

Quick Reply: Michelin PS Sport vs Hankook