Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

low tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535 xi sport package ,cold weather,navigation etc..
Default low tire pressure

Started my car up this morning it was about 16 degrees FH. the low pressure light came on so i looked at tps and it was saying all of them was LOW ? So i reset and it went back to normal has this ever happned to anyone?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Members

Did you get an actual tire pressure gauge and measure the air pressure in each tire?

Resetting the TPMS doesn't do anything other than turn off the warnings and tell the system that the pressure in the tires 'now' is the normal pressure. The tires may indeed be low on air but with your reset TPMS you will never know. (That is until you have to replace your tires far sooner than their expected life.

Of course in cold weather air becomes denser and thus can cause the volume of air in the tire to go down. But if that indeed happened to your car, the correct remedy is to add more air to bring the pressure up to the recommended level.

Get a gauge and check!! Once you do that and bring the tire prssure to the recommended level written on the drivers door post, then reset the TPMS.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by acefuture
Did you get an actual tire pressure gauge and measure the air pressure in each tire?

Resetting the TPMS doesn't do anything other than turn off the warnings and tell the system that the pressure in the tires 'now' is the normal pressure. The tires may indeed be low on air but with your reset TPMS you will never know. (That is until you have to replace your tires far sooner than their expected life.

Of course in cold weather air becomes denser and thus can cause the volume of air in the tire to go down. But if that indeed happened to your car, the correct remedy is to add more air to bring the pressure up to the recommended level.

Get a gauge and check!! Once you do that and bring the tire prssure to the recommended level written on the drivers door post, then reset the TPMS.
+1 Always check your tire pressure when the warning goes off. For every 10 degrees of temperature drop, you lose about 1 psi of air. With colder temperatures, there is always a chance of low tire pressure. Take the warning seriously. If the tire pressure is ok and what you set it to, then you may have an issue with your TPMS Sensors. I doubt all 4 are bad though.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535 xi sport package ,cold weather,navigation etc..

yes i checked the psi they are a few pounds off so i filled them up a bit thanks guys