Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Help! New wheels shaking?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:47 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 Alpine White 535i matte black grill
Default Help! New wheels shaking?!?!

Installing new 20" Asantis and tires ordered from carID today. I ordered them mounted, was easy install however now front wheel looks like it's shaking when I start to drive and sounds like a rubbing noise. There was a black plastic ring on the hub where I took off old wheel and tire. Could it be that? Is that supposed to be taken off?
Attached Thumbnails Help! New wheels shaking?!?!-image.jpg  
Old 10-31-2015, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Maybe, maybe not. The plastic rings you took off your old rims were concentric rings meant to make the wheels snug to the hub. If your rims do not have a center bore of 72.5 mm, the rings are meant to fill the gap. Otherwise, you get the steering wheel shaking that you are experiencing.

If your new rims don't meet that center bore spec, you need the rings for them also. The rubbing could be that the 20" rim and tire combination you bought are too big for your car, which you haven't specified.

Last edited by JayArras; 10-31-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:37 PM
New Members

Had to get spacers for the front wheels. You could see the rub marks on the back side of the wheel. The guaranteed fitment from cardID wasn't accurate apparently. I ordered the wheels and tires on October 2nd. Delivery was to be by October 23rd. On October 22nd ship date changed to October 30. Nobody contacted me to tell me why. I finally got a hold of someone on October 26 and they told me they received the wheel with a scratch so were waiting for a new one. Finally got them October 31st. Not a great experience so far, not good customer service. I spent $$$$ and expected better. Wheel places aren't in short supply and I feel customer service says it all these days. Nobody from the company was proactive in contacting me. Not a happy customer.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:45 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
Maybe, maybe not. The plastic rings you took off your old rims were concentric rings meant to make the wheels snug to the hub. If your rims do not have a center bore of 72.5 mm, the rings are meant to fill the gap. Otherwise, you get the steering wheel shaking that you are experiencing.

If your new rims don't meet that center bore spec, you need the rings for them also. The rubbing could be that the 20" rim and tire combination you bought are too big for your car, which you haven't specified.
I did leave the ring on and as soon as I would start to roll you could see the wheel shaking. I couldn't even test drive it down the street. Spacer fixed but was told when I purchased the wheels and tires I wouldn't need them.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FlowerBomb
Had to get spacers for the front wheels. You could see the rub marks on the back side of the wheel. The guaranteed fitment from cardID wasn't accurate apparently.
What does their guarantee cover exactly? Did you call them on it and what did they say?

Not a great experience so far, not good customer service. I spent $$$$ and expected better. Wheel places aren't in short supply and I feel customer service says it all these days. Nobody from the company was proactive in contacting me. Not a happy customer.
We have a vendor feedback section. Buyer & Seller Feedback - 5Series.net - Forums I would post your experience with them because they hate negative press.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FlowerBomb
I did leave the ring on and as soon as I would start to roll you could see the wheel shaking. I couldn't even test drive it down the street. Spacer fixed but was told when I purchased the wheels and tires I wouldn't need them.
You shouldn't need spacers when you buy a brand new set of wheels. Can you return them?
Guaranteed fitment, right?
Old 10-31-2015, 07:22 PM
New Members

They aren't open on the weekend. I tried to call last weekend for shipping delay issue and left a message. I have to wait and call Monday morning.