Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

whats with people getting upset?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I don't mind answer those repeated questions if the noob was being nice about it. But sometimes some of them are just being rude and lazy, and that bothers me more than anything else. Besides, I don't scream at them about not using the search function, I simply make a suggestion that they should try it next time. This is my 2 cents.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by theXman' post='985559' date='Aug 22 2009, 05:48 PM
I don't mind answer those repeated questions if the noob was being nice about it. But sometimes some of them are just being rude and lazy, and that bothers me more than anything else. Besides, I don't scream at them about not using the search function, I simply make a suggestion that they should try it next time. This is my 2 cents.
honestly, if i come in a thread and see someone with 1 post asking "yo i wuz wondurin wat the widest tire i could put on my e60 iz?"

1. Spell correctly, you are not texting a 14 year old girl
2. your question now requires me to ask questions, like "what year? what model? what wheels? what offset?"

give me a break. it is like a noob saying "ACS spoiler for sale, local pickup only" and not telling us their location. it is frustrating and we go down that road all time time. i usually just hit the back button now.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='985564' date='Aug 22 2009, 02:54 PM
honestly, if i come in a thread and see someone with 1 post asking "yo i wuz wondurin wat the widest tire i could put on my e60 iz?"

1. Spell correctly, you are not texting a 14 year old girl
2. your question now requires me to ask questions, like "what year? what model? what wheels? what offset?"

give me a break. it is like a noob saying "ACS spoiler for sale, local pickup only" and not telling us their location. it is frustrating and we go down that road all time time. i usually just hit the back button now.
Omfg I agree!! +1million
Old 08-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='985076' date='Aug 21 2009, 07:24 PM
i don't mind helping new members out...but you can tell when members are just being lazy...that's when it gets irritating...members take the time to post answers to q's and contribute to discussions in one thread, only to find the same q in another thread....who likes repeating themselves?

OP, you don't like reading old threads? take the time to learn and research...the wealth of knowledge on this forum is extraordinary if you just take the time to access it...
Op? Me? I like reading old threads just fine, it's just sometimes you want to get info from members who are CURRENTLY posting.. Most of the people who have potsed on those old threads don't even post anymore..
I.e. who's this lomag guy?
Old 08-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sorry, can't resist...
https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=83974&hl=

Old 08-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='985604' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:41 PM
haha, wow. AND... we have a month old member pointing that person in the right direction
Old 08-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='985604' date='Aug 23 2009, 12:41 AM

Hilarious!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='985495' date='Aug 22 2009, 02:49 PM
I said "stupid" and used "", because it is not what I feel but what most of the times is felt by people on forums in such situations.
Now, asking me to post a link to another thread where your wuestion has been answered before is simple asking another person to do the search for you.

As you probably have found out, in our little community we do help people. We also help if a question has been answered a hundred times before.
The E60 is on the market so long, there are probably no unanswered questions here. Every possible question has been asked and answered before.
So, searching the forum is the best option everyone has, before posting a new topic.
If you post a new topic and people tell you to use the search function, the same applies to you what you suggested in your above quoted post: ...just move on.
If you have searched and couldn't find the answer, post it and say that you couldn't find the answer. Because we are a "nice" community we will then not tell you to search, we will just answer your question. Maybe someone will run a search and give you the link, who knows.

Thing is, it happens too often... WAAAAAAAAY too often!!! that people are just ignorant of the search function and post their stuff without thinking and without searching.
Just the same with posting in the main forum!!!
I myself find this posting behavior much more disrespectful and annoying than asking a question that has been answered numerous times before.
Fair points. For the record, I'm very appreciative of the help I've received on the forum. And, I wasn't actually suggesting that anyone necessarily should respond to a question with a link..my thought was only that if you feel compelled to answer even those questions you've answered before, perhaps that would be easier (if the response was lengthy, for example). What about a forums practices and expectations message or something as part of the sign-up process, or in a welcome e-mail (automatically generated). Has that been tried?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='985607' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:48 PM
haha, wow. AND... we have a month old member pointing that person in the right direction
Which is precisely why I usually just ignore these types of questions nowadays...there are plenty of other guys out there (relative newbies) who are always eager to help out. Remember, these repeated questions only get old (and/or annoying) if you've been around long enough to have seen them asked over and over again.

If I have time, I'll try to help answer or post a link to the answer but if I'm in a hurry (which is usually the case), I'll simply let someone else answer the question.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

There is something troubling about the search function.

A couple of days ago I had a problem changing my avatar. First thing I did was do a search for avatar. That returned 20 pages of topics. I scrolled down to find how to change my avatar. I got down to a juris335 topic and I knew (sounds like a lawyer) he could help me fix my avatar. I never did get to the avatar bit because I was sidetracked by finding about all I ever wanted to know about aging titties!

I then searched for change avatar. That returned 35 pages of topics. I scrolled down to find a yellow hi-lited change. So then I searched for ?change avatar?. That search returned zero topics.

So I went back and spent a bit more time with juris and followed that by posting a new topic that the Iceman promptly answered and that somehow coughed up my new avatar (clear from Germany).

My point here is that when I search for something I enter a word (such as avatar). That returns, apparently, all topics that ever had the word avatar within that topic?s text. If one finds thirty five topics it is easy to give up and do a new topic to ask for help.

sixcard

EDIT: I am not trying to be critical here. The Mods and Admins do a great job that I apprediate. I just hope to point out the difficulty I have had with the search function on E60 and 5Series.

six

Quick Reply: whats with people getting upset?...