Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

whats with people getting upset?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='985332' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:25 AM
These are good points Iceman but I have a couple of thoughts to add. Certainly you're not obligated to answer a question you've answered before. I wouldn't want to either. If you still want to be helpful though, posting the link to a past response is very helpful and a little less trouble (though I admit, even searching back through my own posts, which are relatively few, is not that easy). Part of the issue is people (like myself) learning how a forum works, and what the accepted protocol is. To that end, I think it's ok to tell someone that a topic has been posted before and to try the search. About the search function...that is part of the difficulty and I don't know what the answer is. For myself, I had searched AND searched for something I was interested in...but when I posted the question someone came up with a topic right away. Turns out the OP had mis-spelled the key word, so my search didn't connect. So..my point is that you can't always just assume someone didn't search...but this often happens and is why we see people throwing up a white flag when they post their topic... Personally, I don't think it's necessary to hate on anyone for asking a question. Mostly people are interested and trying to learn. If you REALLY think it's stupid...just move on. No harm, no foul.....
+1 thats all i was saying.. lighten up.. btw the reason i was inspired to write this was only because a noob posted a thread and everyone was having a good time throwing answers out there and someone comes along like "are you an idiot this q already exists rawr rawr rawr" it just seemed wrong to me, party pooper status.. IMO whatev
Old 08-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='985332' date='Aug 22 2009, 03:25 PM
These are good points Iceman but I have a couple of thoughts to add. Certainly you're not obligated to answer a question you've answered before. I wouldn't want to either. If you still want to be helpful though, posting the link to a past response is very helpful and a little less trouble (though I admit, even searching back through my own posts, which are relatively few, is not that easy). Part of the issue is people (like myself) learning how a forum works, and what the accepted protocol is. To that end, I think it's ok to tell someone that a topic has been posted before and to try the search. About the search function...that is part of the difficulty and I don't know what the answer is. For myself, I had searched AND searched for something I was interested in...but when I posted the question someone came up with a topic right away. Turns out the OP had mis-spelled the key word, so my search didn't connect. So..my point is that you can't always just assume someone didn't search...but this often happens and is why we see people throwing up a white flag when they post their topic... Personally, I don't think it's necessary to hate on anyone for asking a question. Mostly people are interested and trying to learn. If you REALLY think it's stupid...just move on. No harm, no foul.....
I said "stupid" and used "", because it is not what I feel but what most of the times is felt by people on forums in such situations.
Now, asking me to post a link to another thread where your wuestion has been answered before is simple asking another person to do the search for you.

As you probably have found out, in our little community we do help people. We also help if a question has been answered a hundred times before.
The E60 is on the market so long, there are probably no unanswered questions here. Every possible question has been asked and answered before.
So, searching the forum is the best option everyone has, before posting a new topic.
If you post a new topic and people tell you to use the search function, the same applies to you what you suggested in your above quoted post: ...just move on.
If you have searched and couldn't find the answer, post it and say that you couldn't find the answer. Because we are a "nice" community we will then not tell you to search, we will just answer your question. Maybe someone will run a search and give you the link, who knows.

Thing is, it happens too often... WAAAAAAAAY too often!!! that people are just ignorant of the search function and post their stuff without thinking and without searching.
Just the same with posting in the main forum!!!
I myself find this posting behavior much more disrespectful and annoying than asking a question that has been answered numerous times before.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='985495' date='Aug 22 2009, 12:49 PM
I said "stupid" and used "", because it is not what I feel but what most of the times is felt by people on forums in such situations.
Now, asking me to post a link to another thread where your wuestion has been answered before is simple asking another person to do the search for you.

As you probably have found out, in our little community we do help people. We also help if a question has been answered a hundred times before.
The E60 is on the market so long, there are probably no unanswered questions here. Every possible question has been asked and answered before.
So, searching the forum is the best option everyone has, before posting a new topic.
If you post a new topic and people tell you to use the search function, the same applies to you what you suggested in your above quoted post: ...just move on.
If you have searched and couldn't find the answer, post it and say that you couldn't find the answer. Because we are a "nice" community we will then not tell you to search, we will just answer your question. Maybe someone will run a search and give you the link, who knows.

Thing is, it happens too often... WAAAAAAAAY too often!!! that people are just ignorant of the search function and post their stuff without thinking and without searching.
That's cool and I partly agree, could you just make it known to the noobs to exhaust they're search function and add the "I already tried searching for it" disclaimer when they sign up as to avoid you getting frustrated cuz it's bound to keep happening problem solved
serioulsy you have to assume this is everyones first forum and they aren't going to be accustomed to the search protocall and the order of the search to question posting order that you want to see happen?
Just the same with posting in the main forum!!!
I myself find this posting behavior much more disrespectful and annoying than asking a question that has been answered numerous times before.
thats cool and understandable but noobs are going to keep posting the same question for numerous different reasons.. when someone signs up just make it known that they will be properly scolded as to how dumb they are if they dont include the "i tried searchin and couldn'nt find my answer" disclaimer
simple and no big deal eh?
you have to assume this is everyone's first forum (it was mine)
Old 08-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='985232
And since Rudy and me both now use penguins as avatars...
My bad Andre, the penguins must have thrown me off..
Old 08-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

me personally wont get annoyed =) i feel for the new members and maybe also for the lazy members if only i know the answer or if i can find the answer for them i'll gladly help, im a post whore wanna be what can i do

but really so far members here have been and still very helpful in "everything" sometimes they tend to make fun of some topics but its all part of the forums and shouldn't be taken personally,, and really am very very thankful of this forum coz if waren't for this forum it be hard to have and most probably you'll spend tons of money going to dealer all the time for most of the stuff you wanna know about your car my 2cents
Old 08-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BALASUBAS' post='985527' date='Aug 22 2009, 02:01 PM
me personally wont get annoyed =) i feel for the new members and maybe also for the lazy members if only i know the answer or if i can find the answer for them i'll gladly help, im a post whore wanna be what can i do

but really so far members here have been and still very helpful in "everything" sometimes they tend to make fun of some topics but its all part of the forums and shouldn't be taken personally,, and really am very very thankful of this forum coz if waren't for this forum it be hard to have and most probably you'll spend tons of money going to dealer all the time for most of the stuff you wanna know about your car my 2cents
Old 08-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='985226' date='Aug 22 2009, 12:20 AM
Yes it is a big deal.

This lazyness lead to a couple problems:
Members are getting annoyed by reading the same question again and again and again...
And by answering the question again and again and again...

Answering some questions takes time. Would you like to spend that time for answering questions that have been asked one hundred times before?
And if you don't answer the question, this community doesn't look as useful/helpful as it is. So people do waste their time answering "stupid", because have been asked/answered many times before, questions.

Another thing, wich annoys me MUCH more is the ignorancy of the forums structure!!!
People think it is cool to post ANY topic in the main forum, even though there is a better/correct (!!!) subforum for it!!!

This is ignorant and stupid! And people who moderate the forums need to look at the topics and then move them to the correct forum... Much time spent for basically nothing, because someone refused to think about the CORRECT and BEST place to post the topic.
So are you saying we need new and better Moderators here??
Old 08-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='985532' date='Aug 22 2009, 02:08 PM
Old 08-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='985532' date='Aug 22 2009, 11:08 PM
Where did I said that?

This forum has two excellent admins and a superb moderator named Rudy... That's all it needs so far...
And then there's me, messing everything up...
Old 08-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='985547' date='Aug 22 2009, 02:29 PM
Where did I said that?

This forum has two excellent admins and a superb moderator named Rudy... That's all it needs so far...
And then there's me, messing everything up...
My point exactly!!

Quick Reply: whats with people getting upset?...