5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Site Comments & Suggestions (https://5series.net/forums/site-comments-suggestions-10/)
-   -   What happens to the forums??? (https://5series.net/forums/site-comments-suggestions-10/what-happens-forums-114411/)

rctmthouse 06-18-2011 03:19 PM

I remember back around 3 years + ago when I first found this forum, there were so much chattering, daily including weekends. I learned so much about the 5 without asking any question.

Even more than a year ago when I decided to join the forum, there were still lots of opinions, questions and answers. Now it's just too quiet.

Did people just decided to move on to different brand or style? I always thought most BMW owners are very brand loyalty; well at least for me.

tonymac 06-18-2011 03:41 PM

I stop by everyday but i don't have much to say. If that is what most people are doing then I understand.

swajames 06-18-2011 04:15 PM

This was asked over in the F10 forum recently, there are lots of opinions and perspectives including my own in the thread and it's well worth a read.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/108...series-forums/

tonymac 06-18-2011 04:20 PM

I forgot about that thread... You did have a great point even though I did not want to say it.

craigm1841 06-18-2011 04:48 PM

For me... I lost interest in my car because I leased a lemon. I just cant wait to turn it in. My warranty is up, and yesterday my rear pass window wouldnt go more than halfway up, and today, half my speakers stopped working. This is in addition to the countless issues that have had the car in the shop prob 15-20 times. Because I am part of the community and like some of the members here, a peruse the lounge from time to time.

For the masses, its simple. The E60 has lost its appeal, it is old, but when it was newer, it was super sexy (still is IMO), and drew a crowd of enthusiasts. The first time I saw an E60 in person, I knew I wanted one. In 2008 when I landed my first professional job out of the military, i got one weeks later.

BMW played it safe with the F10. It appeals to the masses, but not as much to enthusiasts. The masses dont get on forums to discuss their cars, enthusiasts do. The F10 is not some cutting edge design from the mind of chris bangle, rather a fairly bland design that could easily pass as a premium rental car. With the decline of the 5 series appeal to enthusiasts, enthusiasts have turned to cars like the M3 or other brands offering designs that set them apart from the crowd. To be honest, as a car enthusiast, If I am paying 60-70K for a car, it sure as hell isnt going to look as plain as an F10, and I am the guy who is going to get on a forum and talk about cars.

E60s are appealing to a younger crowd looking for used vehicles they can mod, but E60 mods are still expensive in comparison to other comparable cars, and mods cost more, and again, enthusiasts still want to be on the cutting edge, they will downsize if the need to meet a budget. They can buy a 2005 E60 or a 2009 Lexus IS350. They will buy the newer car which costs the same and is cheaper to mod (and has all sorts of electronic technology the E60 doesnt)

I believe the E60 was a rare car. It was a high-end premium production luxury car that has a cult following, due to its design. Lexus GS350s, Audi A6s, Mercedes E Classes (Non AMG), Infiniti M37s. DO NOT have the following the E60 did. Its time has come and gone.

I still think the E60 is the sexiest BMW ever designed.

rctmthouse 06-18-2011 08:58 PM

When I owned the Boxster S, almost a decade ago, I was a member of the 986 forum, it was very active and when the 987 came out, it was still very active between the new style members and the old style members with meeting and scheduled DIY session but I cam see with the difference betwen pre-LCI, LCI and the all-new F10, it seems like people here just decided to go different route now. Of course this happens to all 5 series related forums, not just this one. Oh well, let's hope this forum lasts until when I decide to move onto something else. Love the DIYs and how willing to help the people are here.

:twoup:

DD_545i 06-18-2011 11:56 PM

As all these former E60 owners sell on their cars in search of something new (as mentioned above), new E60 owners are formed. Someone's buying up the E60s, and they're now lower down in the food chain if you like. Typically these people buying 5-10 year old cars are much more active in modding, albeit a poorer quality of mod. You only have to look at Jimmy540's site to see how 80% of the cars there are over 7 years old.

So I'd expect an increase in activity rather than a decrease. The only way the forum should be decreasing is if it's too elitist and doesn't tolerate the new lower class of owner and shames them for wanting to put horrendous ugly ass mods on.

rctmthouse 06-19-2011 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by DD_545i (Post 1354319)
As all these former E60 owners sell on their cars in search of something new (as mentioned above), new E60 owners are formed. Someone's buying up the E60s, and they're now lower down in the food chain if you like. Typically these people buying 5-10 year old cars are much more active in modding, albeit a poorer quality of mod. You only have to look at Jimmy540's site to see how 80% of the cars there are over 7 years old.

So I'd expect an increase in activity rather than a decrease. The only way the forum should be decreasing is if it's too elitist and doesn't tolerate the new lower class of owner and shames them for wanting to put horrendous ugly ass mods on.

wow, those are some harsh comments there...actually even though the value of the car has depreciated so much that it's becoming more affordable, I still think there much more activity back then than now.

As for the "ugly ass mods" comment, I leave it to the eye of the beholder but it seems like there are only so much mods you can do to an E60 and most are still very tastefully done, not like a Honda where the mods can transform the car into a spaceship.

DD_545i 06-19-2011 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by rctmthouse (Post 1354332)
wow, those are some harsh comments there...actually even though the value of the car has depreciated so much that it's becoming more affordable, I still think there much more activity back then than now.

As for the "ugly ass mods" comment, I leave it to the eye of the beholder but it seems like there are only so much mods you can do to an E60 and most are still very tastefully done, not like a Honda where the mods can transform the car into a spaceship.

When I said ugly ass mods, I was referring to these kind of mods.

Gene 06-19-2011 08:07 AM

One thing I have noticed as of late is that there are far less meet and greets. A few years back the So Cal, Nor Cal, and NYC/Tri-state members were very good/active about having some sort of GTG (get together) bi-weekly/monthly/seasonally. While GTG's may seem irrelevant, they serve a few great purposes:

people get to meet in person rather than behind a keyboard (makes a difference), Thereby getting to know each other on a more personal level.

mods and modding ideas can be seen in person thereby stimulating more discussion here.

jokes, sarcasm, and tone is better understood and recognized after meeting in person

facilitates that feeling of "camaraderie" ..

(just my $0.02)

tonymac 06-19-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by DD_545i (Post 1354350)

Oh I thought you were talking bad about GENEaTALS

https://5series.net/forums/public/st...fault/fear.gif

rctmthouse 06-19-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by DD_545i (Post 1354350)

Damn, that's the first time I've ever seen that page...always wonder what made people decided to do those kind of mods to their cars. It's good trying to be different but that's just too much.

Gene 06-19-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by tonymac (Post 1354390)
Oh I thought you were talking bad about GENEaTALS

https://5series.net/forums/public/st...fault/fear.gif

:clap:

porsche911targa 06-20-2011 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by craigm1841 (Post 1354262)
For me... I lost interest in my car because I leased a lemon. I just cant wait to turn it in. My warranty is up, and yesterday my rear pass window wouldnt go more than halfway up, and today, half my speakers stopped working. This is in addition to the countless issues that have had the car in the shop prob 15-20 times. Because I am part of the community and like some of the members here, a peruse the lounge from time to time.

For the masses, its simple. The E60 has lost its appeal, it is old, but when it was newer, it was super sexy (still is IMO), and drew a crowd of enthusiasts. The first time I saw an E60 in person, I knew I wanted one. In 2008 when I landed my first professional job out of the military, i got one weeks later.

BMW played it safe with the F10. It appeals to the masses, but not as much to enthusiasts. The masses dont get on forums to discuss their cars, enthusiasts do. The F10 is not some cutting edge design from the mind of chris bangle, rather a fairly bland design that could easily pass as a premium rental car. With the decline of the 5 series appeal to enthusiasts, enthusiasts have turned to cars like the M3 or other brands offering designs that set them apart from the crowd. To be honest, as a car enthusiast, If I am paying 60-70K for a car, it sure as hell isnt going to look as plain as an F10, and I am the guy who is going to get on a forum and talk about cars.

E60s are appealing to a younger crowd looking for used vehicles they can mod, but E60 mods are still expensive in comparison to other comparable cars, and mods cost more, and again, enthusiasts still want to be on the cutting edge, they will downsize if the need to meet a budget. They can buy a 2005 E60 or a 2009 Lexus IS350. They will buy the newer car which costs the same and is cheaper to mod (and has all sorts of electronic technology the E60 doesnt)

I believe the E60 was a rare car. It was a high-end premium production luxury car that has a cult following, due to its design. Lexus GS350s, Audi A6s, Mercedes E Classes (Non AMG), Infiniti M37s. DO NOT have the following the E60 did. Its time has come and gone.

I still think the E60 is the sexiest BMW ever designed.

Well spoken and right on the nose. BMW might appeal to the masses, but the real BMW enthusiasts are going to keep chasing the thrill and find acceptable alternatives to what BMW is dishing out. I guess we are not as loyal to the brand as we are to the joy of driving. If BMW does not want to build the car I want (real tires, serviceable transmissions, dipsticks, etc.)I'll just do my homework and find a manufacturer that is willing to make the car I want. I'm even thinking about some of the sweeter offerings by VW.

pjinca 06-20-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by porsche911targa (Post 1354667)
Well spoken and right on the nose. BMW might appeal to the masses, but the real BMW enthusiasts are going to keep chasing the thrill and find acceptable alternatives to what BMW is dishing out. I guess we are not as loyal to the brand as we are to the joy of driving. If BMW does not want to build the car I want (real tires, serviceable transmissions, dipsticks, etc.)I'll just do my homework and find a manufacturer that is willing to make the car I want. I'm even thinking about some of the sweeter offerings by VW.

Funny thing is I don't see the "lack of driving experience" in the F10. It is a very good looking car, and while not as revolutionary as the E60, it is VERY evolutionary in it's design. Much more so than the E60 was. I didn't find the handling perfect in my E60, otherwise why would I get coilovers? The brakes are fantastic, even thought they are really dusty (OEM ones) and squeaky. Comfort? Yeah, the E60 is comfortable and while the design was revolutionary for BMW, the interior and features were far from it. Considering that BMW charges extra for everything when you can get cars that come with the same stuff standard at up to 1/3 the price (Bluetooth, iPod integration, AUX input, etc). I mean who paid for a $50k car with "leatherette" and Halogen headlamps, really? And while every other manufacturer under the sun has 6 disc in dash cd changers, BMW chose to go with the OPTIONAL remote cd changer (at an additional charge of course).

No, sorry, I really like my E60, but it is not one of the BMW's I have loved. The E39 was, I still look at them when I see a well maintained example. The F10 is an evolution of the E39 with almost no resemblance to the E60. Basically, even BMW is learning that to compete there must be something more appealing to the cars than just the badge. That's why they are moved to include BT, and are moving towards including things like iPod integration and other stuff that were options. Let's face it, BMW's last innovation was the iDrive and that is old hat now and in this class innovation set's you apart.

bmwgroup 06-22-2011 06:52 AM

I don't know if its me or what but this forum seems like its going to .... [excuse my language] after it was taken over by the new owners and when new moderator[s] was added.

Can't even find old threads in the E60 M5 sub-forum, as i am in the market to buy an e60 m5.

Shit is being deleted, moved, removed. Super annoyed with the nonsense going on in here. :thumbsdown:

I see now why the O.G's don't post much anymore and have moved on to other forums. :thumbsup:

Time for me to move on to m5board.com :twoup: :whistle: :rolleyes: :hyper:

Gene 06-22-2011 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by bmwgroup (Post 1355446)
I don't know if its me or what but this forum seems like its going to .... [excuse my language] after it was taken over by the new owners and when new moderator[s] was added.

Can't even find old threads in the E60 M5 sub-forum, as i am in the market to buy an e60 m5.

Shit is being deleted, moved, removed. Super annoyed with the nonsense going on in here. :thumbsdown:

I see now why the O.G's don't post much anymore and have moved on to other forums. :thumbsup:

Time for me to move on to m5board.com :twoup: :whistle: :rolleyes: :hyper:

the only new mod is me since the change....:cool:

Threads are being moved and cleaned up as the forum rules needed to be updated to address the changes in 5series.net as of late. The actions of the Admins/Super Mods/Mods are not a catalyst but more of a reaction to the members behaviors. We've always said the members here define the tone and atmosphere of this forum, not the Admins and Mods (super or non super :cool:). Myself nor the super mods and admins will not apologize nor feel bad about ensuring the rules of 5series.net are followed. (which includes moving topics and discussions in appropriate section and/or cleaning up threads)

regarding finding threads in the M5 sub forum, AFAIK, no threads as of late have been moved, perhaps posting a thread regarding specific questions you are looking for answers too might be more helpful. How are you searching for info?

DD_545i 06-22-2011 07:15 AM

No, you don't know why O.G's don't post much anymore and have moved on to other forums. You've found something you're personally angry about, and are assigning that to other people and as their motivation for not posting any more. You don't know (a) that they've moved on, (b) don't post much anymore, (c) the reason for a or b if they're in fact even true.

C's Bimmer 06-22-2011 07:35 AM

That new mod is something else, I tell ya! Who is she anyway? Let's get her!

bmwgroup 06-22-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by DD_545i (Post 1355451)
No, you don't know why O.G's don't post much anymore and have moved on to other forums. You've found something you're personally angry about, and are assigning that to other people and as their motivation for not posting any more. You don't know (a) that they've moved on, (b) don't post much anymore, (c) the reason for a or b if they're in fact even true.

Why would I be angry? That makes no sense lol

Okay you got me, I am angry now cause you are a dummy :hyper:

pjinca 06-22-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer (Post 1355460)
That new mod is something else, I tell ya! Who is she anyway? Let's get her!

TFF!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BLAME IT ON GENE!!!!!!

DD_545i 06-22-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by bmwgroup (Post 1355462)
Why would I be angry? That makes no sense lol

Okay you got me, I am angry now cause you are a dummy :hyper:

You're angry because you said you are. OK, the term you used was "super annoyed". Pretty sure that's another term for angry. Especially when the super annoyed is accompanied by "Shit is being deleted, moved, removed" and "time to move on".

You're right though, I am a dummy.

bmwgroup 06-22-2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by DD_545i (Post 1355464)
You're angry because you said you are. OK, the term you used was "super annoyed". Pretty sure that's another term for angry. Especially when the super annoyed is accompanied by "Shit is being deleted, moved, removed" and "time to move on".

You're right though, I am a dummy.

Annoyed does not mean Angry. I don't know what they teach you in Germany.

This is how we talk in New York City, with alot of vulgarity. We express ourselves here thoroughly then any other city, state, country, continent.

P.S.: You're going back and forth now like a big annoying baby. :tease: Now just give me a big hug and kiss we can make up. Love you.

Gene 06-22-2011 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by bmwgroup (Post 1355474)

This is how we talk in New York City, with alot of vulgarity. We express ourselves here thoroughly then any other city, state, country, continent.

P.S.: You're going back and forth now like a big annoying baby. :tease: Now just give me a big hug and kiss we can make up. Love you.

Is that right....and you wonder why rules have had to be updated and threads and posts needed to be moved/deleted....:nono:

DD_545i 06-22-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bmwgroup (Post 1355474)

I don't know what they teach in Germany either. I'm bored of this thread now though, unsubscribing after this post. One thing to leave you with though.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anger

anger
n
a feeling of great annoyance or antagonism as the result of some real or supposed grievance;

:dance: :hug: :lol:

C's Bimmer 06-22-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by DD_545i (Post 1355484)
I don't know what they teach in Germany either. I'm bored of this thread now though, unsubscribing after this post. One thing to leave you with though.

anger
n
a feeling of great annoyance or antagonism as the result of some real or supposed grievance;

LOL!!!! Classic! Love it!

bmwgroup 06-22-2011 11:19 AM

LMAO

Iceman 06-22-2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS (Post 1355448)
AFAIK, no threads as of late have been moved,

Correct!

There should be much more moving around.
Maybe because we don't move that much to correct locations you can't find what you're looking for... :think:

redEYEjedi 06-22-2011 05:31 PM

anger
n

wow... pwned

Ricracing 06-23-2011 01:07 PM

Back to basics. May the economic regression has anything to do with it?

Not all can loan money aginst their house anymore when the estates go down all the time.

bmwgroup 06-24-2011 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi (Post 1355680)
wow... pwned

Pwned? LOL

Definition of PWNED in hacker terms is "Password Owned". Such sillyness. Maybe you meant OWNED :doh:

bmwgroup 06-24-2011 05:57 AM

anger
n

I said I was Annoyed. And you are looking up the word Angry. :thumbsup:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=annoyed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/annoyed
Definition of ANNOY
transitive verb

1: to disturb or irritate especially by repeated acts

2: to harass especially by quick brief attacks

Synonyms: aggravate, irritate, bother, bug, burn (up), chafe, eat, exasperate, frost, gall, get, grate, gripe, hack (off), irk, itch, nark [British], nettle, peeve, persecute, pique, put out, rasp, rile, ruffle, spite, vex

annoyed past participle, past tense of an·noy (Verb)
1. Irritate (someone); make (someone) a little angry: "your cheerfulness annoyed me"; "rock music loud enough to annoy".
2. Harm or attack repeatedly.
Souce: Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where in the synonym do you find the word angry? Like I said I don't know what they teach you in Germany, you can't even google the word correctly. LMAO!
Here click this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=annoyed

Gene 06-24-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by bmwgroup (Post 1356130)
Pwned? LOL

Definition of PWNED in hacker terms is "Password Owned". Such sillyness. Maybe you meant OWNED :doh:

http://www.urbandict....php?term=pwned

but perhaps as you like to perceive it, "New York" linguistics is the only form that matters....:rolleyes:

the irony in this thread....:doh:

</unsubscribed

bmwgroup 06-24-2011 08:01 AM

Whoa Whoaaaa easy there with the gas pedal ...

New York "linguistics" doesn't mean Ebonics (A form of communication language created by African Americans) I certainly did not say all New Yorkers speak Ebonics. LOL@Urbandictionary.com, GTFO. I said we in New York City use Vulgarity (Profanity) when we communicate with each other.

Gene, Are you saying all New Yorkers speak/write in Ebonics? Are you calling us Ghetto because we are from New York and gave us a definition of a word that is from UrbanDictionary (lol)? What Irony? [Please don't ban me, I know how you new moderators are quick with the ban button] :rolleyes:

UrbanDictionary, LMAO. How racist is that!? I am not a descendant of the African American population by the way. If that is what you were implying.

Gene 06-24-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by bmwgroup (Post 1356161)
Whoa Whoaaaa easy there with the gas pedal ...

New York "linguistics" doesn't mean Ebonics (A form of communication language created by African Americans) I certainly did not say all New Yorkers speak Ebonics. LOL@Urbandictionary.com, GTFO. I said we in New York City use Vulgarity (Profanity) when we communicate with each other.

Gene, Are you saying all New Yorkers speak/write in Ebonics? Are you calling us Ghetto because we are from New York and gave us a definition of a word that is from UrbanDictionary (lol)? What Irony? [Please don't ban me, I know how you new moderators are quick with the ban button] :rolleyes:

UrbanDictionary, LMAO. How racist is that!? I am not a descendant of the African American population by the way. If that is what you were implying.

urban dictionary does not imply ebonics nor cater to a specific econimic demographic, rather the current terms and phrases used that are not categorized in "traditional" dictionaries/english books. Interesting how you assumed otherwise though, along with your statements thereafter. So if I we follow your reasoning, since I referenced and/or use urbandicitonary.com, I am ghetto, speak ebonics, and am African American, correct? :think: :nono:

and the quick to ban comment and I'm a new moderator: The only member that have been banned for inappropriate behavior is Diamond since I've become a moderator. Aside from that it's the usual spammer's. As far as cleaning up threads or posting requests to stay on topic, yes I've done that , as the maturity level as of late (lack there of) has warranted such actions to prevent further bashing and flame wars.

I may be a "new moderator" but I'm not a new member here...so if you want to keep going at it with me, shoot me a pm, seems you have a personal beef with me. Feel free to pm the super mods and admins as well if so, would love to hear your comments and suggestions aside from accusations and/or complaints....

redEYEjedi 06-24-2011 02:47 PM

I think the forums would be a lot better if there were more members contributing with either DIY info, sharing photos, or adding relevant information and interaction... instead of complaining about what happened to it.

Picking fights with other members, or moderators, really does no one good, and actually adds to the degradation of the forums. I hope my post doesn't end up being a critique of semantics with every type of online dictionary, or explained through regional forms of expression.

Ultimately, each individual really makes or breaks their own experience here on this forum. If you don't like the lack of useful threads, make a difference and post something useful or interesting. Other members will recognize and appreciate that, and may even follow suit. Most members of this forum are adults, and act accordingly, so we all have the ability to make this forum as good if not better than before in a mature and meaningful way. If we all have the time to reply to this thread, we also have the time to make it better.

If you can't do that, anyone is welcome to leave and participate in another forum. We don't need an announcement if you are not coming back.

Let's please move on.

melimel 06-24-2011 06:03 PM

I cant believe your getting into a back and forth here with a mod. New or not, hes not new to the board and he wouldnt be a moderator here if the super mods didnt want him. Youve got some pair of balls honestly, and your kinda creating a real negative aura around yourself. Why dont you just shut up already and stop your silly bantor. Its plain old rude and quite disrespectful.. this forum has never been conducted in the matter your quite taking it to with a mod. Have a little respect , okay

swajames 06-24-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by melimel (Post 1356306)
I cant believe your getting into a back and forth here with a mod. New or not, hes not new to the board and he wouldnt be a moderator here if the super mods didnt want him. Youve got some pair of balls honestly, and your kinda creating a real negative aura around yourself. Why dont you just shut up already and stop your silly bantor. Its plain old rude and quite disrespectful.. this forum has never been conducted in the matter your quite taking it to with a mod. Have a little respect , okay

Mel, you are as ever bang on the money :twoup:

pjinca 06-25-2011 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi (Post 1356278)
I think the forums would be a lot better if there were more members contributing with either DIY info, sharing photos, or adding relevant information and interaction... instead of complaining about what happened to it.

Picking fights with other members, or moderators, really does no one good, and actually adds to the degradation of the forums. I hope my post doesn't end up being a critique of semantics with every type of online dictionary, or explained through regional forms of expression.

Ultimately, each individual really makes or breaks their own experience here on this forum. If you don't like the lack of useful threads, make a difference and post something useful or interesting. Other members will recognize and appreciate that, and may even follow suit. Most members of this forum are adults, and act accordingly, so we all have the ability to make this forum as good if not better than before in a mature and meaningful way. If we all have the time to reply to this thread, we also have the time to make it better.

If you can't do that, anyone is welcome to leave and participate in another forum. We don't need an announcement if you are not coming back.

Let's please move on.

Agreed Melvin, before criticizing the forum or the mods ask yourself: What have YOU contributed to the forum lately?
If this it, then that's not very good now is it?

Melimel, as always, a way with words :thumbsup:

N1755L 06-25-2011 08:13 AM

Well I may have one less reason to check the forum soon enough, as I can't seem to find relevant content for this area (Toronto, ON, Canada).

This city is "littered" with Bimmers, every second car I see out here is a BMW, yet I find it discouraging that it seems that there's not even a handfull of people wanting to get together for a day drive. Why are people so fearful of social interaction nowadays?

The Meet/Greet section is virtually completely California... alright, alright, I'll try the Meet/Greet section... there, posted. Hopefully there's a few out ot the thousands who can tolerate the idea of spending a few hours with other BMW owners? I see from the postings that meets did occur in the not-so-distant past, although it's sad that it seemed to be a lot of effort to get people together.

Hope things turn around with the forum, good luck with it guys.