Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Signatures are too larrge

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1050296' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:06 PM
Some informations in signatures are not just nice to read, they are helpfull.
Disabling signatures means, all infos are not displayed any more, even helpful infos.
So, this is no solution.

Now, tell me the benefit of having signature pics, please!

Why do I have to see all those pics over and over again?
What is the useful information that comes with it?

I'm just asking...

Do you realize, that some people have slow internet connections and the site takes a while to beeing displayed in full?
While waiting, you can't read, because the place for the pics is not just empty, it doesn't exist until the pic gets loaded. And every picture that gets loaded makes the page jump/scroll.

This is just like sitting in a restaurant smoking and telling other people who don't like it to go outside!

Fact is, it is kind of annoying what we see here sometimes and from some members. And as long as it annoys other members we have to think about making this place enjoyable for them too. And by "we" I don't necessarily mean mods and admins, I mean all of us in this community.
So, DOWNSIZE your signature pics, or better, put a link in your signature to your gallery where pics can be found. That would be a solution.
The only purpose for sig pics is, well, pride. I don't know about the others, but I quite pleased with the changes that have taken place to my car since joining. Who visits the galleries anyway? I never do.

Who exactly has slow internet nowadays? This seems like a silly argument, you can afford a 5 series but broadband is out of you budget? Makes no sense.

Smokers have been going outside for the better part of 20 years now in some locations. It seems like the world's population as a whole want sto kowtow to the whinings of a few to punish the majority. Of 30K members on this forum - how many are bothered by the sigs, if it's a majority sure make a change, but if it's just a (comparatively speaking) handful then there's no need to change what everyone does for a few.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1050311' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:15 PM
The only purpose for sig pics is, well, pride. I don't know about the others, but I quite pleased with the changes that have taken place to my car since joining. Who visits the galleries anyway? I never do.

Who exactly has slow internet nowadays? This seems like a silly argument, you can afford a 5 series but broadband is out of you budget? Makes no sense.

Smokers have been going outside for the better part of 20 years now in some locations. It seems like the world's population as a whole want sto kowtow to the whinings of a few to punish the majority. Of 30K members on this forum - how many are bothered by the sigs, if it's a majority sure make a change, but if it's just a (comparatively speaking) handful then there's no need to change what everyone does for a few.
I agree w John on this one, why can't we just have some sorta legitamate poll?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Contributors

Where do we draw the line? This nitpicking is getting silly. Soon we will eliminate colored fonts because someone will declare "I'm allergic to BLUE" That is a true story, when my mom was in charge of IT for NBC in the early 90's one secretary wanted the color monitors removed from the office because she claimed, yep you guessed it: She was allergic to BLUE
Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1050311' date='Nov 9 2009, 03:15 AM

Sorry my friend, but now YOUR arguments are REAL silly!

Who visits the galleries?
Well, they are visited and there are even comments posted and some people even give ratings to the pics.

You really think someone that can afford a 5 series automatically has high speed internet?
Really?

Do you want to learn something about, in example, the intrenet access over here in Germany?
Wanna know MY personal AT HOME internet speed?
My contract says 16000, but the real speed is mostly just 1500/2000 !!!
And I live in the middle of a hugge city called Frankfurt am Main !!!

You can NOT see it from your personal point of view. See it from the other side!
As long as there are complaints, not just by one member, something is wrong here!

And while smokers go outside, why can't the siognature pics go outside too?

Explain that to me please. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Contributors

So by your contention, we need to address every single complaint no matter how inane?
BTW is you access REALLY that bad, geez, I feel for you. I can see it from the other point of view, but it still seems to me like another step to a world of whiners. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you need to complain all the time about it. I hate stupid drivers, I posted 1 thread about my pet peeves and - done. Seems like everyone one the planet is getting more and more selfish, why should everyone change because a few don't like something? On the NSFW stuff I can understand because someone's livelyhood is at stake of the wrong person sees the wrong material, but these nitpicking issues are just getting a little stupid. If we eliminate the sigs then lets make another change, how about the borders of the windows in the forum become fuschia - the blue offends me
Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

You don't need to be childish here pj.

There have been discussions about this for a very long time allready. It's not just one that is annoyed. Calling other members whiners and insane, well, I think I don't need to say anything about that, right?

If you can explain a REAL NEED for signature pics, please do so.
But pride... Well, that exactly is what causes the trouble, because when you're proud of your car and wanna show it on every post, you will use the biggest possible pic, which will definately cause trouble.

Yes, my internet connection is that bad, and there is no way of getting a faster one, since those idiots don't want to spend money on fiber optic, after they have just installed the other lines, regular phone lines. Oh, BTW, where I live, the entire neighbourhood, is brand new. The first houses were built 2005... Great planning.

BTT, youre signature is 50% of my screens height!
And now that you know my internet connection...
You know why I can completely understand people who complain about this, right?

And I will repeat myself: It is just as smoking in a restaurant.
We are a friendly community where we respect others.
This is part of respecting others, listening to their probelms.
And by listening we found out, there are people annoyed, and there is no real need for those big pics, so, why can't those who have such pics "go outside" (to speak with the smoking in a restaurant example)?
Of course we can have polls, or just an admin decission without a poll, or even after the poll, but why can't we listen to other members problems? And respect them?
I have received complaints about some signatue pictures. And on those where I agreed I sent a PM to the member in question, and the pics were resized. Just one guy refused to do so.
I don't think we need polls or admin decissions. Do you?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1050353' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:52 PM
There have been discussions about this for a very long time allready. It's not just one that is annoyed. ...

PRECISELY!

With my recent aquisition, I had been looking for a tech-driven BMW community. A task which turned out to be more difficult than I would have expected. I am here for tech.

I seriously considered starting up a new BMW forum myself as they all appear to be pretty low-tech, generally silly, and catered to the average 14year old drifter with dubs. Give me tech. Give me engineering. Give me SCCA or NASA racing discussions. I would love to see a hardcore tech-driven BMW site. This site seems to be better than any other BMW site I found with the tech to BS content, something the mods should be proud of.

If I want to see the picture of one's car, I'll take a gander at the posters avatar or ask for pics. Agreed with the mods statement regarding sigs. Sigs are helpfull. But Sigs can be brief and do not need to be a kindergarten collage of your favorite pictures.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

From reading this thread I learned how to turn off Signatures. In order not to be shown the member's Avetar with the "F-word" on a car window I turned off "Signatures". I now see it turned them off for everyone. My question is can I just turn off a signature for the member who posts the "F-word" in his signature?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

In my opinion -- and this isn't "Rudy the moderator's" opinion, it's "Rudy the member's" opinion -- sig pics are something I can live without and I generally ignore them as I'm reading a thread. I find them to be a lot like banner ads on a website. You sort of train yourself to just ignore them to the point that you don't even see them anymore.

The problem with big sig pictures, aside from bandwidth issues that others may have, is that you have to work harder to read the thread. If I have to scroll left or right because someone's sig pic is too wide, it's frustrating. If I have to scroll down a ton because someone's sig pic is tall and they've posted in the thread many times, it can be very annoying. Once I've seen someone's sig picture(s), I don't need to see them each and every time they post. Another annoying thing is when people use their signatures to "shout from the rooftops" and attempt to announce or promote something in some extra large font.

Not that it matters much but I've been a member here for a very, very, long time and during this time, I've never felt the need to post, nor have I posted, any pictures in my signature. I post my car's specs and, as Iceman suggested, I've always used links to my gallery pics so that anyone can look at pictures of my car whenever they feel like it. Also, in case anyone hasn't noticed, I do use my signature to announce or promote something but the font is the same, normal size that the board's software defaults to.

Many boards limit how many pictures you can upload or make you purchase some sort of subscription before you can upload photos. Lomag has been very generous in allowing us to have the gallery and not place too many restrictions on uploads. I'd love to see more people using the gallery and linking to specific images in their signatures but I realize that not everyone agrees with my opinion.

At this point, I think it's important that everyone be considerate of others when choosing what to do with their signatures. I'm not saying we stop using sig pictures completely (although that would be nice ) but I am saying that just because you don't see why other people hate them doesn't mean they aren't hated...
Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1050353' date='Nov 8 2009, 06:52 PM
You don't need to be childish here pj.

There have been discussions about this for a very long time allready. It's not just one that is annoyed. Calling other members whiners and insane, well, I think I don't need to say anything about that, right?

But pride... Well, that exactly is what causes the trouble, because when you're proud of your car and wanna show it on every post, you will use the biggest possible pic, which will definately cause trouble.

Yes, my internet connection is that bad, and there is no way of getting a faster one, since those idiots don't want to spend money on fiber optic, after they have just installed the other lines, regular phone lines. Oh, BTW, where I live, the entire neighbourhood, is brand new. The first houses were built 2005... Great planning.

BTT, youre signature is 50% of my screens height!
And now that you know my internet connection...
You know why I can completely understand people who complain about this, right?

And I will repeat myself: It is just as smoking in a restaurant.
We are a friendly community where we respect others.
This is part of respecting others, listening to their probelms.
And by listening we found out, there are people annoyed, and there is no real need for those big pics, so, why can't those who have such pics "go outside" (to speak with the smoking in a restaurant example)?
Of course we can have polls, or just an admin decission without a poll, or even after the poll, but why can't we listen to other members problems? And respect them?
I have received complaints about some signatue pictures. And on those where I agreed I sent a PM to the member in question, and the pics were resized. Just one guy refused to do so.
I don't think we need polls or admin decissions. Do you?
You're right Iceman, I apologize for the "knee-jerk" response. I do believe the poll is a good idea. Restricting the size? Sure, why not? Eliminating them altogether? I just don't see the need to do that. Most members who have been warned or told their pics were too large have made them smaller (including me).

I agree also Iceman, that was poor planning on the part of those that built up that area, fiber is the way of the future - the American telcos are all shifting to fiber (which is why they are offering TV service now competing with cable and satellite).

I just don't see the analogy with smoking. There is no physical harm that can come from a sig pic. However, the analogy to the TV program you don't agree with is perfect. You can always change the channel or choose to ignore it (like Rudy said).

Quick Reply: Signatures are too larrge