5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Site Comments & Suggestions (https://5series.net/forums/site-comments-suggestions-10/)
-   -   Mobile forum (https://5series.net/forums/site-comments-suggestions-10/mobile-forum-92989/)

dbae1978 01-26-2010 08:25 PM

First off let me just say that the new forum layout looks absolutely fantastic. It might take some time getting used to, but so far so good. If I could make just one suggestion, it would be that the mobile site and original site have the exact same layout and functions as it did before. I believe there were a few comments before by fellow members but I thought that it was important enough to post a new thread.

When we had the previous format, the online and mobile sites were identical. Since we have changed over to the new style I have noticed that the mobile site does not have the functions ad before, such as 'view new posts'. If both the online and mobile sites were identical it would greatly improve the new program. Thanks guys!

David

dbae1978 01-26-2010 08:33 PM

what do you guys think?

sdg1871 01-26-2010 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by dbae1978 (Post 1098905)
what do you guys think?

The new site has functions, such as the view new content feature, that do not display on my Blackberry Bold. By contrast, the site is 100 percent functional on my Motorola Droid. If I just had the Blackberry, I'd be pretty much SOL.

Rudy 01-26-2010 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by sdg1871 (Post 1098912)
The new site has functions, such as the view new content feature, that do not display on my Blackberry Bold. By contrast, the site is 100 percent functional on my Motorola Droid. If I just had the Blackberry, I'd be pretty much SOL.

I can't speak for the other phones but on the BlackBerry, you can configure the browser identity so that when you go to a particular web site, you can tell the BB to "fool" the site you're going to by reporting that it's a browser running IE or FireFox instead of a BlackBerry. You can even store this setting individually under each bookmark so, in other words, for 5series.net, you can tell the BB to act like IE so you'll see everything the way it displays on a computer running IE.

Try it...it's just another thing about the BB that reminds me why I love it so much. :cool:

dbae1978 01-26-2010 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by sdg1871 (Post 1098912)

Originally Posted by Rudy (Post 1098915)
I can't speak for the other phones but on the BlackBerry, you can configure the browser identity so that when you go to a particular web site, you can tell the BB to "fool" the site you're going to by reporting that it's a browser running IE or FireFox instead of a BlackBerry. You can even store this setting individually under each bookmark so, in other words, for 5series.net, you can tell the BB to act like IE so you'll see everything the way it displays on a computer running IE.

Try it...it's just another thing about the BB that reminds me why I love it so much. :cool:

so you the droid and the BBs have the full functions of the original website? my iPhone only shows a limited version of the new progamming.
I will definitely try changing the browser settings on my iphone. thanks guys Rudy, i hope this works. I will let you know if it doesn't

dbae1978 01-26-2010 09:05 PM

ummm.... unless i'm drunk, which i am, the iphone doesn't allow changes in the browser settings. all websites have always displayed as the original website. does anybody know how to change the iphone settings?

Rudy 01-26-2010 09:13 PM

I suspect the iPhone's browser identity can't be changed -- in my opinion, Apple doesn't think it's customers are knowledgeable enough to be armed with such a choice. It would only confuse the masses and cause panic at the genius bar! ;)

Kidding aside, that's really why I still swear by the BB -- it's so damn configurable that it'll make you either really happy or really crazy! (I don't know if the Droid is configurable but I suspect it's probably closer to the BB than it is the to iPhone...)

dbae1978 01-26-2010 10:55 PM

I wonder why my iPhone browser displayed all the original settings but now have changed with the new format. :(

Rudy 01-27-2010 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by dbae1978 (Post 1098971)
I wonder why my iPhone browser displayed all the original settings but now have changed with the new format. :(

Because the new version automatically detects a mobile browser and defaults to the "lo-fi" version. (The old software had a lo-fi version but it wasn't automatically delivered to the device, you had to choose it if you wanted to use it.)

Lomag 01-27-2010 06:29 AM

Hmmm I wonder if search can be enabled in the lofi version :think:

I didn't see any option for that but have to take a deeper look as I'm still getting used to everything myself. First and foremost I'm waiting for the complete rebuild of all posts to complete and rebuild of all PMs to complete. Once that's done things should be much more speedier.

BMWRINO 01-27-2010 07:08 AM

I didn't see a way to add smileys when posting using my iPhone.. not that it is totally important, I just thought I'd mention.

Rudy 01-27-2010 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lomag (Post 1099066)
Hmmm I wonder if search can be enabled in the lofi version :think:

I didn't see any option for that but have to take a deeper look as I'm still getting used to everything myself. First and foremost I'm waiting for the complete rebuild of all posts to complete and rebuild of all PMs to complete. Once that's done things should be much more speedier.

Mark,

I'm not sure the lo-fi version ever had a search (nor did it have a "view new posts/content" feature.

I think the answer is to turn the lo-fi version off as the default mobile browser. I'm pretty sure that can be done and I realize you're prioritizing the database rebuilds but it might be something you can flip sooner rather than later...

Thanks! :thumbsup:

skelevirus 01-27-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy (Post 1099164)
Mark,

I'm not sure the lo-fi version ever had a search (nor did it have a "view new posts/content" feature.

I think the answer is to turn the lo-fi version off as the default mobile browser. I'm pretty sure that can be done and I realize you're prioritizing the database rebuilds but it might be something you can flip sooner rather than later...

Thanks! :thumbsup:

yes yes yes i need view new posts on my iphone!! its nowhere to be found?!

Lomag 01-27-2010 11:47 AM

Yeah, it should be possible to do and will look into that since it seems to be what mobile users want .. I didn't realize there was so many checking the site on their phones. Cool! :twoup:

m630 01-28-2010 03:12 AM

Rudy,

I'm using my BB but cant get the site to look right. I believe I'm currentlly forced to use lo-fi version from the message I receive when replying. Are there theme options within my board settings as I've looked with no success, and while checking settings on my BB for browser, I tried to change the emulation to IE to see if it made any diff but no luck...any assistance is appreciated as I mostly visit the site using my BB...thanks

sdg1871 01-28-2010 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by m630 (Post 1099669)
Rudy,

I'm using my BB but cant get the site to look right. I believe I'm currentlly forced to use lo-fi version from the message I receive when replying. Are there theme options within my board settings as I've looked with no success, and while checking settings on my BB for browser, I tried to change the emulation to IE to see if it made any diff but no luck...any assistance is appreciated as I mostly visit the site using my BB...thanks

I followed Rudy's instructions by making my BB announce itself as having the IE browser. At first it didn't work because I was already in the forums. So I closed the browser and then went again to 5series.net again and sure enough, it worked.

sdg1871 01-28-2010 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lomag (Post 1099247)
Yeah, it should be possible to do and will look into that since it seems to be what mobile users want .. I didn't realize there was so many checking the site on their phones. Cool! :twoup:

That's great Mark. Yes, a lot of us primarily visit the site with iPhones, Blackberries, Droids, etc.

Rudy 01-28-2010 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by m630 (Post 1099669)
Rudy,

What BB are you using? What OS version? (I'm no BB expert but if you're version is similar to what I have, I should be able to help...)

swajames 01-28-2010 05:29 AM

For BlackBerry users:

from the browser, open up the options menu. Select the browser configuration submenu. There is a browser identification option where you can set the browser to identify itself to websites as either the BlackBerry browser, IE or Firefox. It is a global setting (so not page specific). Setting it to IE or FireFox should restore the full-fat version of the forum for BB users.

Rudy 01-28-2010 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by swajames (Post 1099703)
For BlackBerry users:

from the browser, open up the options menu. Select the browser configuration submenu. There is a browser identification option where you can set the browser to identify itself to websites as either the BlackBerry browser, IE or Firefox. It is a global setting (so not page specific). Setting it to IE or FireFox should restore the full-fat version of the forum for BB users.

The method above, as stated, is global and will affect every web site. In my opinion, that's not as elegant of a solution since other sites that are optimized for mobile devices may end up looking bad.

The best way to do it on a BB, at least on the latest versions, is to do it on a site by site basis in the bookmark settings. This way, only the sites you want to change are changed (like 5series.net) :cool:

m630 01-28-2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy (Post 1099687)
What BB are you using? What OS version? (I'm no BB expert but if you're version is similar to what I have, I should be able to help...)

got the verizon world edition BB from about 1 1/2years ago, its my work crackberry...unfortunately i've looked everywhere in the options menu while on a page and the only option I see that I have access to update is the emulation field and have changed it to IE from BB with no success. In the global options menu, then under advanced settings I do not have any ability to change browser from BB to anything else, so perhaps my co has locked it up...the end result is that the site really, really looks bad and is not useful to me, which will unfortunately severly limit the amount of time around here as my commute is much of the time spent browsing :(

....but on a desktop the new site looks nice, just wish it wasnt so complicated, every other forum website allows my BB to view it the exact same way as on a desktop.... except in our beloved 5series forum world (though for some reason as im writing this at my desktop, i cannot access the emoticons!)

any ideas out there?

Rudy 01-28-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by m630 (Post 1099982)
got the verizon world edition BB from about 1 1/2years ago, its my work crackberry...unfortunately i've looked everywhere in the options menu while on a page and the only option I see that I have access to update is the emulation field and have changed it to IE from BB with no success. In the global options menu, then under advanced settings I do not have any ability to change browser from BB to anything else, so perhaps my co has locked it up...the end result is that the site really, really looks bad and is not useful to me, which will unfortunately severly limit the amount of time around here as my commute is much of the time spent browsing :(

....but on a desktop the new site looks nice, just wish it wasnt so complicated, every other forum website allows my BB to view it the exact same way as on a desktop.... except in our beloved 5series forum world (though for some reason as im writing this at my desktop, i cannot access the emoticons!)

any ideas out there?

Again, be patient. Once the databases rebuild, I think Lomag is planning on turning off the lo-fi default for mobile browsers...

m630 01-28-2010 01:29 PM

Thanks Rudy

dbae1978 01-28-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy (Post 1099987)
Again, be patient. Once the databases rebuild, I think Lomag is planning on turning off the lo-fi default for mobile browsers...

:twoup: :hyper: :dance: Nice!!!!!

m630 01-29-2010 01:41 PM

Hmmmm, things seem to be gettin a bit better, text is now graphical on the mobile, if only there was a banner! :wacko:

Gene 01-31-2010 07:59 PM

while on my BB browser (first time since the forum upgrade) noticed something, the drop down menu under our member name (My profile, My settings, My Messages, etc.) is stuck at being viewed/dropped down....when using Firefox config, this blocks the View New content tab, unable to click it.....when in IE config, the menu is still stuck and the View New Content tab is almost at the middle of the page )same line)

joebaggg 02-07-2010 07:24 PM

cant use pm feature on my blackberry. the message window dosent pop up