Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Major Forum Software Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010 | 09:07 AM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by jgulli
AS with everything else "BMW" some will like the "pre-LCI" forum and some will like the facelifted "LCI" forum. For those of you disliking the new format maybe you can get Bruce to retro you a cable set up that will allow you to view the forum in it's "old style". I know he normally does Pre-lci to LCI upgrades, but I bet he'd dig the challenge, and there'd be no flicker
Sigh.
Old 01-27-2010 | 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Guys, I'm not making any promises here but some of you folks are simply not giving the new software a chance. Also, I can't speak for Lomag and am not 100% in the loop on what's happening but I want to address a few things:

First, the upgrade isn't complete so be patient while things are being dealt with. Right now, the priority is to get the database rebuilt so the site will react faster and the PM feature can be re-enabled. I don't think anyone anticipated the intensive processing time it was going to take to migrate the database over to the new version. It may be done today or it may be done in a few days...it's moving along and we need to sit back and let it happen.

Second, the spam was becoming a huge problem. The fact that many people didn't notice much of it was mainly due to the quick actions of the mod/admin team. That said, there's no way we would be able to keep up with the immense increase in spam bot accounts being created, etc. Most spam bots create the account first and then wait a period of time before spamming the forums. In these cases, we were often able to ban the account before they could post spam. Other spam bots were registering and then hitting us hard with spam. Just a day before the upgrade, one spam bot posted over 30 spam messages in a matter of seconds. That trend would have continued on and on in the future.

Third, as far as the look and feel of the forum, specifically skin colors and/or the way it displays on mobile devices, again, I ask for eveyone's patience. As I said above, I can't make any promises but I do think there may be a way to change the software so it doesn't default to the lo-fi skin when a mobile device connects but right now, that's one of the many little issues that probably need to take a back seat to the primary function of allowing the databases to rebuild.

Fourth, everyone needs to keep in mind that since this software is now the current version, it is constantly being developed and improved. This wasn't just a "point upgrade", this was a major version upgrade (3.x). The older (2.x) software was dead from a development standpoint. Now, since we're on the 3.x version, if a feature doesn't exist but is something that is requested by the masses, it's likely to be added to a minor point update in due time. That means that if there's something missing now, it might just show up in the future if enough people ask for it.

I realize there are multiple threads about the new software but right now, I don't think I'm going to spam this message in all of them. I hope that eventually, everyone will read this and realize that Lomag is doing his best and with any major upgrade, there are some things will be addressed in time.
Old 01-27-2010 | 11:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

i think the upgrade is cool....looks more modern.

only annoyance, if youre browsing (w/o being logged in) and u click 'reply' to a topic, it gives you this error message...
"[#103133] You do not have permission to reply to this topic."
why not just go straight to the login/register screen?

can we now embed videos here???
Old 01-27-2010 | 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy
Guys, I'm not making any promises here but some of you folks are simply not giving the new software a chance. Also, I can't speak for Lomag and am not 100% in the loop on what's happening but I want to address a few things:

First, the upgrade isn't complete so be patient while things are being dealt with. Right now, the priority is to get the database rebuilt so the site will react faster and the PM feature can be re-enabled. I don't think anyone anticipated the intensive processing time it was going to take to migrate the database over to the new version. It may be done today or it may be done in a few days...it's moving along and we need to sit back and let it happen.

Second, the spam was becoming a huge problem. The fact that many people didn't notice much of it was mainly due to the quick actions of the mod/admin team. That said, there's no way we would be able to keep up with the immense increase in spam bot accounts being created, etc. Most spam bots create the account first and then wait a period of time before spamming the forums. In these cases, we were often able to ban the account before they could post spam. Other spam bots were registering and then hitting us hard with spam. Just a day before the upgrade, one spam bot posted over 30 spam messages in a matter of seconds. That trend would have continued on and on in the future.

Third, as far as the look and feel of the forum, specifically skin colors and/or the way it displays on mobile devices, again, I ask for eveyone's patience. As I said above, I can't make any promises but I do think there may be a way to change the software so it doesn't default to the lo-fi skin when a mobile device connects but right now, that's one of the many little issues that probably need to take a back seat to the primary function of allowing the databases to rebuild.

Fourth, everyone needs to keep in mind that since this software is now the current version, it is constantly being developed and improved. This wasn't just a "point upgrade", this was a major version upgrade (3.x). The older (2.x) software was dead from a development standpoint. Now, since we're on the 3.x version, if a feature doesn't exist but is something that is requested by the masses, it's likely to be added to a minor point update in due time. That means that if there's something missing now, it might just show up in the future if enough people ask for it.

I realize there are multiple threads about the new software but right now, I don't think I'm going to spam this message in all of them. I hope that eventually, everyone will read this and realize that Lomag is doing his best and with any major upgrade, there are some things will be addressed in time.

+1
Old 01-27-2010 | 11:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW

Thanks Rudy. That's exactly the plan and the priority now is to complete the database rebuild. Once that's done we can re-enable PM's and then work on fixing the minor issues with templates, mobile browsers, etc.. I have a whole list of things on the to-do list. I'm sure all of which can be easily fixed. We just can't access the admin area while the rebuild is taking place as a 2nd login there will reset the update which we absolutely don't want to do!
Old 01-27-2010 | 12:27 PM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Sounds good
Old 01-27-2010 | 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525D M Sport, Carbon Black with Natural Brown Leather. Media Pack.

Thanks for the hard work Lomag.
It already looks better IMHO.
This forum is a fantastic resource, when it disappeared for a few hours I realised how much I would miss it.
It's also free, although I think everyone should donate.
Old 01-27-2010 | 01:21 PM
Contributors

this is great...
Old 01-27-2010 | 01:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ellicit
this is great...
Sarcasm sensors reading at an all-time high.
Old 01-27-2010 | 01:49 PM
Contributors

I think it kind of sucks that people are bashing the new layout. Essentially, the Admins and Mods maintain this site for free, around their full-time jobs. This upgrade makes their "hobby-job" easier, and people continue to complain about it. Obviously we are not going to revert back to the old site, just like I am not going to throw out my 42" LCD and replace it with a 13" black and white TV. people who have a hard time accepting change are going to have a tough time in life. Honestly, if the 5 series forum changing visually ever so slightly is really causing a huge problem in your life, then buckle up, because life outside of your computer desk is NOT going to be easy.

Personally I feel it is disrespectful to continue complaining about the Admins volunteer work. This site is free to use and provides a wealth of information and a sense of community amongst people who share a common interest. If this makes the admins and mods job easier, so be it. Everyone needs to stop looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Quick Reply: Major Forum Software Upgrade