Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Huge increase in quote usage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I don't think I'm imagining things but am I the only one who notices a huge increase in members using the quote feature a tad too much? I find myself scrolling through quote after quote after quote when a simple reply would suffice.

I tend to read from top to bottom of a thread, Do we really need to quote every post? It really frustrates me when I'm browsing the forums (lo-fi) via my cell (Samsung i730), scrolling through tons of repeated quotes :\ and now It's getting to me when I'm at home.

I'm done ranting ...its late. I felt like speaking my mind
Old 01-21-2006, 04:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Busta' post='227309' date='Jan 21 2006, 02:28 AM
Edited.
The quotes can be painful; you have a point. I tend to quote if, and when, I want it to be clear who I am replying to. But, I, for one, will try to use quote less frequently--especially long quotes. I also think it would be a good idea to erase some of the quoted material, from multiple posters, at least some of the time--which I do. But, doing so can be time consuming since sometimes the quote formatting for the remainder is tedious to maintain.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Busta, I could not agree more.

Not to pick on Znod (or is it vnod...or donv...or... ), but replying with quotes when you're the first replier is really a bit much, and lots of people do it!
Old 01-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll only add that if I see a post that has a bunch of nested replies, I sometimes don't even bother to read -- if the poster screws up the quote syntax and embeds their reply inside one of the quotes, it's not worth my time to attempt to figure out what they were saying in the first place...

As stream said, I'm not trying to pick on any one individual, I just think that there are many who just don't understand how the board software works.

It's clear to me that some posters think that the only way to reply to a post is to press the "reply" button in the lower-right portion of the last post (right next to the "quote" button). If they were to use the "add reply" button at the lower-right portion of the entire thread (in between the "fast reply" and "new topic" buttons) instead, they would stop quoting and quoting and quoting everybody. (Alternatively, they could use the "fast reply" box if they're not going to be doing anything fancy with their reply...)
Old 01-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='227552' date='Jan 21 2006, 09:55 PM
I'll only add that if I see a post that has a bunch of nested replies, I sometimes don't even bother to read -- if the poster screws up the quote syntax and embeds their reply inside one of the quotes, it's not worth my time to attempt to figure out what they were saying in the first place...
Yep. I totally agree with you here, Rudy!

Same here.

Also, as you can see in tghis example reply, it IS possible to just quote the text you are giving a reply to. You don't allways need to quote the whole damn thing, you can wipe out the parts you don't reply to. It reduces the quotes and makes reading much easier!
Old 01-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='227599' date='Jan 21 2006, 05:08 PM
... text ... wipe out ... reduces ...reading
Yes, please edit long quotes.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:40 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Busta' post='227309' date='Jan 21 2006, 01:28 AM
I don't think I'm imagining things but am I the only one who notices a huge increase in members using the quote feature a tad too much?
I'm with you all the way, Busta. Thanks for bringing it up.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by stream' post='227539

I think that doing so works well provided that one sets his or her reply off in someway--e.g., using bold or color especially. I don't find this sort of thing hard to follow at all.
And, then, one can easily follow up with new material.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

But it is hard to follow Znod -- in your quote above of my post, I didn't say what's in the bold type but it looks as if I did. Why not just type the bold stuff outside the quote and use the software like it was designed to be used? I just don't get what the problem is here...
Old 01-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='228098' date='Jan 22 2006, 11:44 PM
But it is hard to follow Znod -- in your quote above of my post, I didn't say what's in the bold type but it looks as if I did. Why not just type the bold stuff outside the quote and use the software like it was designed to be used? I just don't get what the problem is here...
I can see where it could get confusing if you don't realize that the original poster didn't use bold. I just haven't ever had trouble following this style since I always am familiar with what already has been said.

I quess I could copy what I want to reply to very directly beneath the quote box and then insert my replies as needed. In this regard, I follow the above procedure when I want to be very clear about my replies to what has been said. I have noticed that many times individuals do a poor job of replying if not focused very precisely on what they are replying to.

I can't quite go with the idea of always conforming to the way something was designed to be used. Sometimes designs are not great, with no reflection on our software, and even if they are good, new, possibly unfathomed and innovative, ways of using a good product often can be developed.

Quick Reply: Huge increase in quote usage?