Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!
View Poll Results: For me, some type of 5er performance is within the:
top 25% of the forums topics discussed
45.83%
2nd 25% of the forums topics discussed
20.83%
3nd 25% of the forums topics discussed
8.33%
4th 25% of the forums topics discussed
4.17%
I'm not interested in 5er performance
20.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

How much do you like reading about 5er performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I am curious about the quantity and the intensities of our interests in 5-Series performance. So, I using this poll to gather some evidence about the percent of us that are interested in reading about 5-Series performance issues in the forums and how intense our interests in these issues are. By performance I am talking in part about the sorts of performance topics one encounters in auto magazines. But, generally speaking, I am talking about things like straight-line acceleration (against others and g-metered, etc.), track events, mods affecting performance, taking the twisties, braking, and top speed, etc.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I'm all about the performance aspects of the e60. I primarily credit (or blame? ) Znod, grogan545, and realtyman for fostering my passion. I've always liked BMWs but have never really became a true enthusiast until I came across this board and its varied members.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

With our kids, I always thought that the safest path was to accept no credit and no blame. Darn, they turned out to be exemplary members of society. OK, I'll try taking credit for you.

But, yes, cars have always been about performance for me. And, being a teen in the 50's in the US, straight-line performance has always been a primary consideration to me, although this factor doesn't completely govern my choice from competing cars. A pic of my first performance car (pre-driver's license days) is attached. Naturally, I am in the front.

Our neighborhood recreation department sponsored Indy style races for this genre of car in the 50's--something that would never happen today. The 50's were no BS and no red tape days.

One of the other of the two cars pictured always would win (new 2 1/2 hp Briggs & Strattons helped). I smashed my car once and had to put it back together with angle iron--which made it heavier. So, my friend started winning too often. Well, I decided to start running straight ethanol. Doing so evened things right up again. I never told him, but after all I was carrying undeserved weight.
Attached Thumbnails How much do you like reading about 5er performance-rods3.jpg  
Old 11-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Old 11-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh yes... Performance for sure... otherwise I'll be driving a Mercedes, Jaguar or somthing why buy a BMW? BMW is the best in performance sedan...

Dont tell me prestige... yes BMW has plenty of prestige but I think in the eyes of many... Mercedes has a tad more...
Old 11-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Senior Members

I dunno what to vote If you're talking about performance as in most of numbers than no i'm not interested. By numbers i mean calculations, and the thing you guys love, g-meter tests and then half a page of numbers and adjustments and stuff. That really makes it boring. I embrace numbers as a performance orientation but i resume to more...sensible stats like 0-60-100-160 1/4 etc...

On the other hand by performance i don't necesarely take in numbers. We can d-bate like many times we did, about handling characteristics, braking or pure driving as a pilot. That makes it more interesting to me.

So i cannot vote right now cuz i don't know how to vote. Some bits i like more but some i find quite boring and hardly open the thread to read it.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Performance has always been at the top of my list.I prefer straight line performance,but I am interested in any kind of performance,even good gas mileage.I know this seems contradictory but I like my cars to be at the top level of acceleration,but also to give good gas mileage when cruising.I believe my 545 fulfills both.I have recorded the 1/4 mile in as low as 13.25and have recorded over 28 mpg for over 300 miles while on vacation(mostly interstate highway at 70 mph).
Old 11-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Well you know I love the performance aspects and all around as well. I do Autox in my 2 tonne beast and am now addicted to the twisties of the ToD and elsewhere as well. I drove 1200 miles round trip just to do the ToD and will do that at least twice again next year. I like my straight line stuff but these cars are just brilliant at carving curves while still being practical daily and family drivers. I know so few cars that can combine the amenities, features, comfort AND give a thrill as these cars do. So discuss away
Old 11-24-2006, 05:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='359983' date='Nov 24 2006, 12:20 AM
I dunno what to vote If you're talking about performance as in most of numbers than no i'm not interested. By numbers i mean calculations, and the thing you guys love, g-meter tests and then half a page of numbers and adjustments and stuff. That really makes it boring. I embrace numbers as a performance orientation but i resume to more...sensible stats like 0-60-100-160 1/4 etc...

On the other hand by performance i don't necesarely take in numbers. We can d-bate like many times we did, about handling characteristics, braking or pure driving as a pilot. That makes it more interesting to me.

So i cannot vote right now cuz i don't know how to vote. Some bits i like more but some i find quite boring and hardly open the thread to read it.
I spelled out what I mean by performance in post 1. I know you; you definitely are interested in performance as defined.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

1. To answer the question :

I primarily like reading about performance altering mods and the technical intricacies behind them in as much detail as possible, especially for the V8 - since there are more of them over in the US and even more that get modded. So, yes - performance related by all means.

2. From a forum standpoint : I usually direct myself to the E60 discussion and parts accessories and mods subforums mostly. I think the total topics/replies of each subforum - especially those two, already answers statistically the question above.

If someone makes a mod and it affects performance it's posted and discussed in mods,

if someone discovers/experiences something special regarding the e60 performance in general it's discussed in general e60.

Still appreciate your contributions Znod ! - more importantly I know where/how to find them !

Quick Reply: How much do you like reading about 5er performance