Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Hey Admins, what's up with the Edit function.?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

I understand the concern about people changing their posts and wholeheartedly agree.

What about an exception for the Classified section? Members with items for sale are no longer able to lower the price of the items for sale in the threads title and initial post. Buyers are unlikely to read through and entire thread just to see that the price has been lowered on page three of the thread.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

That's a great idea but unfortunately the forum software has no such option. I'd love to allow edits in the Meet&Greet Forum & Classifieds. The edit option is a per group setting that applies to all forums so we can't reverse it unfortunately.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='700084' date='Oct 22 2008, 01:05 PM
That's a great idea but unfortunately the forum software has no such option. I'd love to allow edits in the Meet&Greet Forum & Classifieds. The edit option is a per group setting that applies to all forums so we can't reverse it unfortunately.
Foiled!!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='700048' date='Oct 22 2008, 12:20 PM
I understand the concern about people changing their posts and wholeheartedly agree.

What about an exception for the Classified section? Members with items for sale are no longer able to lower the price of the items for sale in the threads title and initial post. Buyers are unlikely to read through and entire thread just to see that the price has been lowered on page three of the thread.
+1, I'd hate to start a new thread, just because I've decided to lower my price on my 124 wheels
Old 10-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: alpinewhite's ride

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='700105' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:27 AM
+1, I'd hate to start a new thread, just because I've decided to lower my price on my 124 wheels
+2. Please reconsider in changing the edit function
Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='700105' date='Oct 22 2008, 02:27 PM
You shouldn't start a new thread, you should simply add a post to the "old" thread. They're called threads for a reason, right?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='700575' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:16 PM
You shouldn't start a new thread, you should simply add a post to the "old" thread. They're called threads for a reason, right?
Right, but the initial post (title) has the original price. Folks who see that price may skip the thread, when in fact the lowered price was noted somewhere throughout the posts.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='700612' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:52 PM
Right, but the initial post (title) has the original price. Folks who see that price may skip the thread, when in fact the lowered price was noted somewhere throughout the posts.
I completely understand the issue but unfortunately, there's not much you can do about someone that doesn't care to read the entire thread -- especially if they're interested in the product that's being offered for sale. I'll bet that more people read the entire thread than not so the odds are in your favor that additional posts will be noticed by the right people.

I suppose you can always suggest in the original post that interested parties should read the entire thread for the latest informaion about the product and/or it's status and price...
Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='700671' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:49 PM
I completely understand the issue but unfortunately, there's not much you can do about someone that doesn't care to read the entire thread -- especially if they're interested in the product that's being offered for sale. I'll bet that more people read the entire thread than not so the odds are in your favor that additional posts will be noticed by the right people.

I suppose you can always suggest in the original post that interested parties should read the entire thread for the latest informaion about the product and/or it's status and price...
Point taken, thanks Rudy
Old 10-23-2008, 01:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='690570' date='Oct 11 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the response Mark. The example you posted about the Meet&Greet posts is where I really need this feature. Can you accommodate?
So where does this leave this with the Meet & Greet posts?
Like ECF pointed out above, a number of us update the first post with the latest details, such as venue, attendees, route, etc.

A work around could be to put a reference in the first post, that states that the latest details can be found by clicking on my (i.e. original poster's) signature. The signature will always be at the bottom of the first post and it is something we can update as often as we like. We would then have to keep copying across all the details into a new post and update our signature links accordingly. It can all be done, but its simply not as "user friendly" as the edit function.

Do you (the admins/mods/experts) have any other suggestions on how we could best work round this using the available functionality?

thanks in advance for any suggestions

cheers,
Pete

Quick Reply: Hey Admins, what's up with the Edit function.?