E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering module ressurecting itself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 05:27 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525DAT, comfort access, HUD, active steering, pano, comfort and some other goodies
Default Active Steering module ressurecting itself?

Since the winter, my AS module has thrown a bong and "Active Steering system fault!" has appeared in the display during virtually every journey. My BMW mechanic diagnosed the module as faulty while doing other, more pressing work and claimed that my failed alternator was the root cause, saying this module is particularly sensitive to voltage errors. With charging restored and the recently replaced battery tested and in order, I postponed dealing with the AS and lived with it for another two months.

But during the last week the fault hasn't appeared and the steering works as it should. That's after five months of issues. I've sourced a replacement module but is it realistic to think the old one can be relied on again?
Old 06-13-2024, 07:46 AM
New Members

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

My guess is that it's warming up in Norway, and that you might well see the problem come back when the sun disappears and it gets cold again (aka "thermal intermittent issue"). Hope not, but for now it seems like there's no big down side to taking a wait-and-see approach.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 183 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

I would not worry about it unless it happens again.

Originally Posted by torketil
Since the winter, my AS module has thrown a bong and "Active Steering system fault!" has appeared in the display during virtually every journey. My BMW mechanic diagnosed the module as faulty while doing other, more pressing work and claimed that my failed alternator was the root cause, saying this module is particularly sensitive to voltage errors. With charging restored and the recently replaced battery tested and in order, I postponed dealing with the AS and lived with it for another two months.

But during the last week the fault hasn't appeared and the steering works as it should. That's after five months of issues. I've sourced a replacement module but is it realistic to think the old one can be relied on again?