Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

WTB:Vorsteiner hood with vents

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

It sucks I know! This is why I told everyone to order up on eBay when they had dozens available couple weeks ago. Sorry man :-(
Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skunkd
It sucks I know! This is why I told everyone to order up on eBay when they had dozens available couple weeks ago. Sorry man :-(
Did u order it then?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mark_hk
Did u order it then?

Yea I ordered mine 2 weeks back. hey mark I'd really love the cf vents but no one in the states has even heard of the replacements. If you could somehow get me a price for them and ship them to me I would truly appreciate it and cover all the cost. When u get a chance let me know thanks buddy. I'm in New York pm me if you get a chance
Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a warning that people need to consider when purchasing a CF hood or any CF accessory is that the Carbon fiber will eventually fade. If you plan on painting the CF accessory then by all means go for it, if you plan on keeping it stock CF color then be prepared for the color to eventually go. This is a pretty well known fact by most people that have owned a CF hood or trunk for a prolonged period of time and if you're still unsure ask any experienced body shop person and they will tell you the same.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Just a warning that people need to consider when purchasing a CF hood or any CF accessory is that the Carbon fiber will eventually fade. If you plan on painting the CF accessory then by all means go for it, if you plan on keeping it stock CF color then be prepared for the color to eventually go. This is a pretty well known fact by most people that have owned a CF hood or trunk for a prolonged period of time and if you're still unsure ask any experienced body shop person and they will tell you the same.
I'd paint mine for sure. I just love the aggresiveness it adds to the whole car. Plus my stock hood has paint chips. I really want. I checked everywhere and no luck. I guess i'll have to wait another month or so just like i did with my wheels :thumbsdown:
Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Alpine White

Yea I ordered mine 2 weeks back. hey mark I'd really love the cf vents but no one in the states has even heard of the replacements. If you could somehow get me a price for them and ship them to me I would truly appreciate it and cover all the cost. When u get a chance let me know thanks buddy. I'm in New York pm me if you get a chance

I know a guy in San Francisco area that does CF wraping on cars and he has done a few of these vents he told me. He has done them on the vorsteiner hoods for M3's. And I think a couple M5. I'll have to find his number again. Text me at 916-300-4244 and I'll shoot you his number. He was a really nice guy and he does alot of work with new car dealers. He is going to wrap my front splitter with CF in a couple of weeks or so.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Man, I don't see how they had a bunch and all of sudden sold out of a dozen of them? Seems a bit crazy to me, lol.

But yah, it sure sucks. Now I have to wait as well

As for the CF fade, how long is prolonged? I have no experience with CF so I am rather curious. And does the fade still occur if you regularly apply wax? Say, once every quarter?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
As for the CF fade, how long is prolonged? I have no experience with CF so I am rather curious. And does the fade still occur if you regularly apply wax? Say, once every quarter?
Typically you start to see fading within 1-2 years, of course certain factors also come into play such as quality, care of product and whether your vehicle is indoors and outdoors. Basically if you plan on keeping your car for more than 2 years and you decide to get CF unpainted, plan to eventually paint it down the road once it fades.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

Also I've found that waxing carbon fiber actually speeds the fading problem up and causes the gel coat to get cloudy. Keep your car out of the sun and u can extend its life drastically. Once it fades you can get it wet sanded and re gel coated to restore it, but the sun yellows the cf ull be able to see it slowly fade over time if your car is an outdoor car especially.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Also I've found that waxing carbon fiber actually speeds the fading problem up and causes the gel coat to get cloudy. Keep your car out of the sun and u can extend its life drastically. Once it fades you can get it wet sanded and re gel coated to restore it, but the sun yellows the cf ull be able to see it slowly fade over time if your car is an outdoor car especially.
Yes CF definitely fades away, one of my friends 330i has CF on his car, and it has like a white membrane on top of the CF, it looks pretty bad. But it can get fixed. My question was if the CF is painted (like I'm going to do) would this fix the fading problem. Bc I live in Miami and is a bit hard to stay away from the sun here.

Quick Reply: WTB:Vorsteiner hood with vents