Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

Wheel Sale Dilemma, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

It's always best to take the high road , take the wheels back and use them for snowies..............................UNLESS the buyer is trying to scam you , either way ,if you know the wheels are OK then take them back ...... he'll know !!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='587858' date='May 25 2008, 01:26 AM
As long as the seller didn't represent they WOULD fit the xi, this isn't really an issue.

If I were the seller and the buyer asked and I knew they wouldn't fit, I would of course disclose. Indeed, even if he didn't ask and I learnt of his intended usage and felt it might be wrong, I would encourage the buyer to make sure he is buying something that fits his intended use case.
"Anyhow he has a 2008 530xi, and I told him I thought my 545i rim offsets were to low for his car, that he needed a higher offset wheel. Anyhow he checked with the dealer and the dealer told him my wheels would fit his car after I told him, I didnt think they would."

This is why I was stating that the seller knew that the intended wheels would not fit the xi but sold them to him anyway. Who's fault is it? We speak about offset regarding the i versus the xi all the time.

Just an honest opinion....

Rick...
Old 05-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Thanks guys for all the advice, it was only a matter of an hour when he called me as he must have went to discount right away to put them on, so I dont really think he could have bend the rim in that short of time, so it is possible that one of the rims could have been bent already. I just find it curious that I never noticed any shaking or vibration at any speed on my car previously.

In any case it seems the best possible out come is to refund his money as long as the wheels are in the same condition. As this is his first BMW that he just recently bought, and I wouldnt want to start it off to a bad experience.

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='587483' date='May 24 2008, 08:03 AM
Okay Ive got a dilemma I am hoping to get some advice on.

I put up for sale my OEM style 124 tires (Dunlop run flats) and local guy answered my add and he wanted to buy my tires and wheels as a whole. I was planning on keeping my 124's and put snow tires on them, but since he wanted the rims too, I decided to sell them to him anyway.

Anyhow he has a 2008 530xi, and I told him I thought my 545i rim offsets were to low for his car, that he needed a higher offset wheel. Anyhow he checked with the dealer and the dealer told him my wheels would fit his car after I told him, I didnt think they would.

So he calls me a few hours later and says that discount tire says one of the rims is bent on the inside, and when he put them on his car he said the shake is bad. However I just took my 124's off this past week becuase I got my M166 wheels. I never noticed any shake, vibration, or pulling when the wheels were on my car less then a few days ago. I am pretty particular about my car and believe me I would have noticed a shake or anything not right.

Here's my dilemma, I dont wouldnt want to try to rip anyone off here. I am just wondering if when he put the wheels on his car he realized they stuck out too much, or maybe he didnt like the ride of the run flats, and wants his money back instead. So maybe he's just making the shake story up, because of buyers remorse?????

So do I owe him his money back? Whats the right thing to do?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='587883' date='May 25 2008, 02:45 AM
It's always best to take the high road , take the wheels back and use them for snowies..............................UNLESS the buyer is trying to scam you , either way ,if you know the wheels are OK then take them back ...... he'll know !!
How does one differentiate the 124s recommended by BMW as an OEM option (see BMWUSA build your own) for the XI and the 124s that some say will never work on an XI?"
Old 05-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by juris335' post='588081' date='May 25 2008, 02:48 PM
How does one differentiate the 124s recommended by BMW as an OEM option (see BMWUSA build your own) for the XI and the 124s that some say will never work on an XI?"
Let's just say that the ones that came on the 545i from the factory were definitely the RWD ones. The dealer should have know the difference. A buyer might not know anything about offsets, but that's not the seller's problem. This guy was warned that they wouldn't fit, and he bought them anyway. How would you tell the difference between and AWD vs. RWD 124? The offsets should be stamped somewhere on the inside of the rim.

You're being nice by taking them back, especially with a "bent rim" issue that probably wasn't there before. I'd have told this guy to f#&@ off by now.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Buddy,

You wanted to keep the rims, he talked you into selling the set and now he's not happy. You are not a rim store, there is no return policy. You were able to move your tires and rims, be done with it. You know the rim wasn't bent before you sold them to him. I don't want to come off like a jerk, but it sounds like his problem - not yours. If he's unhappy, he can sell them.

Just my .02
Old 05-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

if you take them back keep a deposit kinda like a restocking fee for your troubles
Old 05-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

I had an xi buyer, and I told him straight up or check this forum first about fitment. Good for him, he checked and did not buy them.

If you need them for winter, take it back given the condition is the same when you sold it. Otherwise, all sales are final because you told him already.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Those wheels will NOT fit the xi. Take them back. That's the right thing to do.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='587817' date='May 24 2008, 11:39 PM
BMW makes 2 kinds of 124's.....one set for RWD and another for AWD. Your 545i ones will definitely NOT fit an xi. This guy screwed up and is looking for his cash back. Your call, but if you take them back, make sure they were in the same condition as when they left your garage!
I've taught you well young jedi!

Tell that 530xi customer to give me a shout. I'll explain the whole damn process all over again for the 500th time, like I've done for every other xi member on this board.