Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

PART OUT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricapar
The HUD is quite tempting, but things keeping me away from it is...
- shipping
- the HUD doesn't function as it should without the proper windshield glass (from what I've heard...)

How'd it work for you? Did you have the HUD windshield?
I've seen Sublime's HUD in action freakin awesome! Even video doesn't do it justice. When it's projected onto windshield looks almost 3D but when you watch it in YouTube videos looks flat almost 2D.
Sublime does have the HUD windshield.

You can put a piece of clear tint to make HUD visible.
http://forums.5serie...ost__p__1370499
Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

Do u need to have navigation on your car to use hud? I guess yep
And need also a new dash
So if i have just m- mask will be to $$$ to convert everything.
((
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

If there were more answers [FAQ] regarding the HUD I think many of us would jump on it really fast.

OP, can you please let us know what is needed to do the HUD mod? [e.g. hud compatible windshield, etc.]
Old 11-16-2011, 09:06 AM
New Members

Interested in the LCI headlight and tail. Could you send me some pics to hu_michael@hotmail.com ?

Thanks !
Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

HUD FAQ:

Q: What is a HUD?
A: HUD is an acronym that stands for Heads Up Display. Originally HUD units were designed to give fighter jet pilots vital navigation, heading and targeting information for training and combat. A projector unit housed below a glare screen or a specially made windshield projects an image that appears to 'float' in front of the vehicle. The projector is designed to not allow extra glare, and has several mirrors that allow the image to be directed exactly where it needs to be. As technology progressed this feature made its way into luxury cars as a convenient way to instantly see pertinent information. The complexity and variety of information varies from different manufacturers, but most HUD units will display speed, RPM and navigation. The BMW HUD that comes with the E60 CCC Navigation based vehicles will allow you to see exactly those things at all times if you choose.

Q: Why would someone want HUD in their car?
A: Not all people find this feature to be impressive, but those with HUD often agree that being able to know exactly how fast you are going, and having the information for the next turn (when following navigation guidance) right in front of you is incredibly convenient. Without having to move your arms to see the gauge cluster, you always know exactly what your status is. It proves to be even more convenient when error or warning messages show up because they are displayed on the screen. Since the HUD shows the same navigation information that the 'arrow display' shows on the auxiliary side of the CID (iDrive information screen) you can keep the map on screen while looking straight ahead to know the next turn and the distance to it.

Q: What is involved in retrofitting HUD?
A: A lot, but not a lot. I will explain. All E60 vehicles are capable of running any and all factory features with proper installation and coding. Of all of the retrofits I have done, none was more intending seeming than this. But in the end, it was a very straight forward process. The hardware needed is: The HUD projector unit (obviously) which will eventually live under your dash right behind the gauge cluster (the space is there on all E6x cars). You will need either a HUD dash, or the skill to cut out the opening on your existing dash. A new rain/light sensor is also necessary to allow the HUD to automatically adjust brightness according to outside conditions. The headlight switch and bezel must be replaced with one that includes an extra button which turns the HUD on and off (although I can't imagine why one would turn it off). The windshield should also be replaced with one specially designed to allow the HUD to display without any 'ghosting' or distortion of the image. Some people have chose to simply apply a section of clear tint on the windshield - this seems to result in positive reviews. There is a lot of wiring necessary - the HUD unit needs to have power (2 wires), ground (2 wires), CAN high and CAN low. There are two wires that will come from the HUD to the momentary contact switch on the new headlight switch assembly to allow on/off. The MOST-bus must also run through the HUD unit, this can easily be accomplished by routing the '-' optical wire to the back of the CCC, taking out the '+' wire and running that back to the HUD. Essentially creating a loop of fiber optic information.

Q: If I buy your HUD set-up what else will I need?
A: Essentially, the windshield (unless you are local and we work out a swap deal) and navigation (I also have this for sale). As far as installation, you CAN do this yourself. If you can install a stereo or an alarm, you can do this, trust me. The dash must come out which involves a lot of tiny tedious tasks like pulling the steering wheel, floor panels, HVAC and CCC/CID. You'll see that in the process of taking the accessories out and away from the dash that not much actually holds it in. Unlike a lot of manufacturers, BMW made their dashboard with the same basic principals of the bumper covers. It is just a shell that covers an intricate framework of structural/electrical components. Since this HUD package will come with the needed plugs and MOST-bus cables, you will just need the most basic of parts to complete the installation yourself. The is a great DIY somewhere on this forum with a complete parts list.

Q: Why are there so many spelling and grammatical errors in your FAQ?
A: Because I didn't proof read it.

Q: Will you ship?
A: If I have to. I went to several dealers and one lied to me saying I was approved for the M6 I want without any stipulations for trading in my current vehicle - this is what prompted my part-out. I can still get the car, but I need to get rid of this one first. Since I bought this thing at the PERFECT time for it's value to drop in the shadow of the LCI's and the new F10, it is going to take a bit longer to get my M6 than I thought. So...I prefer a local buyer, but if too much tome goes by and I still don't have a sale - I will strongly consider shipping the HUD although I do not feel it would cost effective to ship the dash.

Q: What if I buy the HUD, get it home, start the installation process only to find out I am in over my head?
A: You are on the right forum. I literally would not have been able to do this install without the help of forum members here (especially Benand). If you post your problem you will undoubtedly get an answer. I have done this retrofit twice, and I am about to do it a 3rd time on another forum members car.

Q: If you are about to do this on another forum members car, why didn't he buy it from you?
A: Because it wasn't for sale then.

Q: Can I see pictures of the HUD unit itself and the information it displays?
A: Yes, by email - just shoot me a PM with your email address and I will gladly send you some shots from my phone.

Q: Is this the end of the FAQ?
A: Not yet.

Q: What else do you have to say?
A: I wrote this in a bit of a hurry because I have dinner plans. It isn't as if I do not care enough to be thorough, I did try my best; I just want to add a disclaimer that I may have forgotten one or two essential pieces of information about this retrofit. I strongly suggest you do as I did and read, read, read every bit of info you can find about the HUD and the specifics of installation. If at that point you are still interested, and if you realize I omitted pertinent information - please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

- Chase
Old 11-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

Omg
The best FAQ. Ever. Ever.
Glws

Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Members

I want that CCC shipped to 15236!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Members

the OEM ipod adapter, do you insert this into the CD changer thats located in the glove box? if so, im very interested.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

GLWS!!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, the iPod adapter replaces the CD changer.

Quick Reply: PART OUT!!!!