Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

If you're selling in Cali as "local pickup only" GO AWAY

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

It all comes down to how much one is willing to pay for! Offer me something I can't refuse and I won't have a problem shipping.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by radzM
It all comes down to how much one is willing to pay for! Offer me something I can't refuse and I won't have a problem shipping.

+10000000000
Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

They say 'local PU only' because our state has over 37mm heads, thinking "there's GOT to be someone local to take this part off my hands and save me the trouble of finding a box that fits, sledging through traffic to find a local UPS or other shipping outlet, transporting my parts from my car to the storefront while basking in the hot sun, then having to drive all the way back home". Yep, we're pretty laid back here in Cali.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

I have shipped 3 diff sets of wheels before, and it does NOT get easier.
I have shipped blow off valves with tubing, intercoolers, turbos...
2 big reasons why people from cali don't ship....

1. protects the buyer, because people think when they buy used, they're buying new. Some members don't realize that the seller deserves as much respect as the buyer...and being pushy and picky about little things because they weren't done according to their schedule only dampers the situation. I can think of so many instances when, you work up a deal with someone, shipping is okay, everything is good...then all of a sudden, "uhhh, so I need this by Saturday, can you ship it today?" At this point saying no is not an option, and not everyone can drop what they're doing to go ship a package. Patience is a virtue.
2. Kind of ties in with part of the first, but when someone says, $200 shipped, here is how PM's start to go.

Me: Yes I still have the item, it's $200 shipped.
Buyer: Okay, what kind of shipping is that?
Me: Second Day
Buyer: Okay, will you accept 180?
Me: Sure, my paypal is xxx
Buyer: Okay, I don't live that far away, can I just come and pick it up? What is the price for me picking it up?
Me:.......$180
Buyer: Oh. I thought shipping was included. What are you shipping with? Second Day costs xxx for me, what is the price you are getting? blah blah blah...

I mean, the whole selling process has become this series of back and forth haggling, until when all is said and done, what you put for sale for $200, all of a sudden translates to $120 in your bank account, all because people haggle and expect shipping to be covered. There is nothing at all easy about selling wheels, for example. You need to verify so many different things before you can even consider selling them, because the safety of someone else is on you. Add boxing and preparing shipping for these wheels, plus special requests as to where it is shipped, how it is shipped, which carrier you use, to discount the price further, and all of the time you spend to recover something, that...for the most part....a good percentage of BMW's are sold and used in SOCAL.

What is easier than cash? Nothing. I still ship packages, because I don't usually look to recover my original amount, but rather, give someone a good deal on something, without it being a complete loss to me. But, I can totally see why shipping has become something people don't want to do.

To add even more, a couple of packages I have shipped, at the buyer's advice, USPS PRiority...then, mysteriously the package never arrives to their house, and I end paying the buyer his money back, and am out a part. Trust is not easy to come by. People get scammed all the time. Until the buyer tells me, "the parts are on the car and everything is good thank you!" I leave that money in my paypal account, because people can be soooooo damnnnn finicky.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Members

My Ride: I HAVE A 2004 530I MOSTLY STOCK EXCEPT FOR 22IN ASANTI AF128 BLACK, I HAVE A 6 SPPED MANUAL TRANS. IT ALSO HAS DOOR CURTAINS WHICH I LIKE ALOT. NAVI. I HOPE TO CHANGE MY SEATS TO COMFORT SOON.

If you dont like it then that is a person Problem and keep it to your self. Over here in killa kali we dont have time to be shipping things, were too bz enjoying the great weather at the beach
Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

agreed to Fronjoni

There were times were I had to pay more for shipping the items and end up losing more money. People have to think that these used items are priced already 30-45% off from the retail price brand new and still people low balls! That's why I preferred local pick up, I don't care if I loose $10-20 from local pick up than going though all the hassle and troubles of dealing online, packaging the item, bulky items sucks to ship and making arrangement of my own time to ship.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

How hard is it to charge shipping? These are your items guys, you choose the price, if you want to include shipping then incude it , if you want to add shipping after the price then do so. If people keep haggling the price down and you not happy with the price then do not sell it to the person. The seller dictates the price and discounts if warranted.No one can force youu to sell something, Now if you guys sold something because you needed the money desperately and werent happy with the price you sold it for its your fault, no one elses!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Just one small note to add to this......"local pickup only" is NOT just a Cali thing, I see it all the time on listings from all over the country, it may SEEM as though it's a Cali thing, but that is due to the large number of forum members here! Personally, I see no problem with either method, as they serve different people the way they choose, and there is NOTHING wrong with that!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

With Cali being such a big town we have a more than great chance at selling our items locally. I've never had a problem selling locally....ever. As long as it's priced right they will come. Why hassle with shipping when they can just go to your house and pick them up?