Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

FS: E60 OEM amp PnP trunk subwoofer harness with built in LOC

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by tuffluck
2 questions:

1. is the power wire that runs from the battery big enough to support a 2nd 150-watt amp via this harness? usually they use at least 4ga wire...the wires in this harness are tiny!
No aftermarket amp should be run from the 12V/ground of the OEM amp. And aftermarket amp must be run directly from the battery.

2. if you do the SWS-8's, wouldn't it be difficult to run speaker wire from under the seats to the amp--could you instead find the wires on your harness here and splice off of them instead?
That's what most customers do, they cut the harness and use the existing OEM wires to the woofers.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Contributors

oh okay, thanks for the that. i posted and then saw the pics...i was going to edit my post but you got here first

i'm not really concerned for what sounds BETTER, but what is easier--replacing subs under the seats and splicing off the wires to a new amp, or just adding a new sub to the new amp? do you have to remove the seats to put in the SWS-8s (or take out the stockers for that matter)? i think if you used technic's harness and spliced the speaker wires from HIS harness on the underseat speakers, then you aren't clipping/splicing any factory wiring, which of course to most people is important. i just wonder if that would cause any problems with the stock amp and idrive to freak out if it has two speaker wires providing a blank signal?
The OEM amp will "see" either a LOC or an aftermarket amp inputs, so its outputs are not going to be "floating". There's no problem with that.

earlier technic mentioned getting a new center channel in the front dashboard like the l7 has. if you have the hifi system and open up that speaker grill in the dash, will you find speaker wires there or do you have to run new ones? any recommendations on running new ones?
There are no center channel wires in the dash if your system is HiFi. And the recommendation for a center channel is only if you have a processor that can make use of it, otherwise it is not required or even useful without some way of processing the signal into the center channel.

i will probably be interested in purchasing the product also. forgot the battery was in the trunk, too
Thanks.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i - GONE

i'd like to get one too! i'm in NorCal
Old 10-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ck-e60
i'd like to get one too! i'm in NorCal
You can either join the Group Buy (separate thread) or send me a PM with your details for immediate order.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Technic
That's what most customers do, they cut the harness and use the existing OEM wires to the woofers.
do you have the woofer wires marked on your adapter so we (customers) know which wires to cut and splice off of/hook up to an amp?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Contributors

do you have the woofer wires marked on your adapter so we (customers) know which wires to cut and splice off of/hook up to an amp?
I either mark them for customers to cut or charge $25 extra for a harness already cut, terminated with Molex connectors and including a pair of OEM woofer connectors for the SWS-8, for a total PnP solution.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

you've got my money!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ck-e60
you've got my money!
Thanks...
Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by allenzo
1.TEAM M
2.god_003
3.allenzo
4.tuffluck

I am good for one. Do I pay now or once the list is full.
i am game. so it's $75? do you take paypal? let me know instructions if you don't mind. i also would like to know which speaker wires are for the subwoofers under the seat. i'm planning to install subs there and run them to a 150wx2 amp or something.

i have a question though, and this is just because i get confused when i read other posts. say i want to buy the earthquakes and install them first before the amp. which earthquakes am i supposed to get - 4ohm or 2ohm? and if i buy an amp i plan to run them at 4ohms, but does it matter if they run at 2ohms? basically i have read that the stock amp may only run at 2ohms, but no one knew for sure. i would just like to buy one set of the earthquakes at X ohms so that i can either run them in the stock amp or an aftermarket amp and they work fine.

essentially what i'm getting at is that i may do the subwoofer and amp installation at different times, and i'd like the speakers to work in either scenario. also if you guys have any write-ups on the earthquake installation, that'd be great. i've read there may be some retro-fitting needed, and also not sure if the whole seat needs to come out or just a portion of it to get to those rear subs, and lastly the best way to modify the speaker wire connector from the factory (i'd rather not splice directly off of it). thanks!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Contributors

i am game. so it's $75? do you take paypal? let me know instructions if you don't mind. i also would like to know which speaker wires are for the subwoofers under the seat. i'm planning to install subs there and run them to a 150wx2 amp or something.
There are no detailed, printed instructions... just unplug your OEM amp and plug this harness in between. Then it will be a pair of RCA outputs with low pass signal and a remote turn on wire available at the OEM amp for a trunk sub amp.

i have a question though, and this is just because i get confused when i read other posts. say i want to buy the earthquakes and install them first before the amp. which earthquakes am i supposed to get - 4ohm or 2ohm? and if i buy an amp i plan to run them at 4ohms, but does it matter if they run at 2ohms? basically i have read that the stock amp may only run at 2ohms, but no one knew for sure. i would just like to buy one set of the earthquakes at X ohms so that i can either run them in the stock amp or an aftermarket amp and they work fine.
The HiFi OEM amp has 2 ohms OEM woofers, the Logic7 system has 4 ohms OEM woofers, the Individual Audio has 7 ohms OEM woofers. If you want to keep the same OEM amp output impedance then you should replace those OEM woofers with equivalent ohms aftermarket woofers. Changing the impedance will affect the way the OEM amp behaves and how the bass sounds -the amp can overheat if the impedance is lowered, or the bass output reduced if the impedance is increased.

essentially what i'm getting at is that i may do the subwoofer and amp installation at different times, and i'd like the speakers to work in either scenario. also if you guys have any write-ups on the earthquake installation, that'd be great. i've read there may be some retro-fitting needed, and also not sure if the whole seat needs to come out or just a portion of it to get to those rear subs, and lastly the best way to modify the speaker wire connector from the factory (i'd rather not splice directly off of it). thanks!
One thing about the SWS-8 woofers... they are not sensitive woofers. In other words, OEM amp power is not enough to move the SWS-8 in a way that an improvement over the OEM woofers can be felt. IMO, you will have better results if you just add an small amp (up to 100W) to your current OEM woofers. A decent 2-channel amp of about 75W per channel cost less than a pair of new SWS-8.

No matter what you end up doing you will have to cut the OEM wires.

Quick Reply: FS: E60 OEM amp PnP trunk subwoofer harness with built in LOC