Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

FS: BMW OEM Star Spoke 89!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by dillon733
A taller tire means deeper tread depth which in turn provides better traction in the snow.

Ok to answer your question the reason people go with bigger tires is for deeper tread that way you get better snow traction.
The reason people go with a "square" settup and do now go staggered is so that your tires are a little narrower.
Again, you are simply confusing things and probably other people here.

In other words, "taller" tires, do not necessarily equate to deeper tread depth, tires specified with deeper tread depth are the only way to know. Additionally, most tires across any given brand/model are within 1/32" anyway, the thickness of a fingernail, but sure, you might as well start off with the extra 1/32".

For the reasons you mentioned were important, you actually got the wrong tire size.

People often think they are getting "taller" tires because they see the sidewall numbers increase but in fact it is the skinny tire that is better in snow, which you went "toward" but not effectively enough to matter at all. The optimal size for the above mentioned purposes and reasoning, would have been 225/45x18. This would be only .3" taller diameter over oem 245/40x18, which is negligible in terms of speed and odometer and weight, but it would also be .9" narrower in section. That's where you would gain a worthwhile increase in snow traction.

You can like whatever you like for your own reasons, but do not confuse the dynamics of snow traction and tire dimensions.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dillon733
As far as RFT (run flats) go I am NOT AT ALL a fan of run flats. With all do respect to the tires you purchased I PERSONALLY would not have chosen run flats. Run flats provide worse traction in any kind of weather. If you look at any high performance car ie lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche (real ones) (GT3, GT2, Turbo) they never have fun flats beacause run flats do not grip the road as well as non run flats. Also run flats provide a much harder ride and are more uncomfortable to drive on. Run flats also can never be patched or plugged. I could go on and on but I think thats enough for now. But I personally HATE run flats. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Again., you are not quite speaking the truth. Opinions are one thing, facts are another. RFT do not provide "worse traction in ANY kind of weather". This is pure nonsense. Not all RFT are created equal, the newer designs and structure are completely different than the first generations. You can simply look at the tests done comparing the version III in conti and other brands. Ride quality, traction, etc are all vastly improved.

It's not different than saying "diesels are all dirty" because 20 years ago they were.

Also, some RFT CAN be repaired the under the same guidelines as non-rft. Some companies say "yes" and others say "no"
REPAIRABLE RFT:
Bridgestone
BFG
Dunlap
Michelin
Goodyear
Firestone

NOT to be repaired, as per company literature:
Pirelli
Continental
Yokohama
Khumo

So, there you go.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Because tire makes are all a little different, here are the specs per Blizzak LM60.

The size listed:

245/45R18
Load Index 100 = 1764lbs (800kg) per tire
Speed Rating ?H? = 130mph (210kph) 100H XL 1764 lbs.
50 psi
11/32"
29lbs. 7.5-9"
8"
9.6"
8"
26.7"

OEM 5 series:

245/40R18
Load Index 97 = 1609lbs (730kg) per tire
Speed Rating ?H? = 130mph (210kph) 97H XL 1609 lbs.
50 psi
11/32"
27lbs. 8-9.5"
rim tested 8.5"
section 9.8"
tread 8"
tire diameter 25.7"

Best winter size:

225/45R18
Load Index 95 = 1521lbs (690kg) per tire
Speed Rating ?H? = 130mph (210kph) 95H XL 1521 lbs.
50 psi
11/32"
25lbs. 7-8.5"
7.5"
8.9"
7.2"
25.9"

So, yes, 1" larger tire.
ZERO increase in "tread depth"
Negligible tread width decrease, or none, which would be a plus for winter. At least the 245/45 is not terribly wide, but at least it's a very grippy tread and compound design.

The 225/45 would net a significant winter traction experience.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will these work well on a 2008 535 xi with sport package?
If so....Telephone number?
Howie
Old 12-13-2010, 06:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
With all due respect, please read what people write before slamming them. Who said anything about the "sidewall" height? I did not.

Your tire IS IN FACT ~1" taller than oem. The DIAMETER is it's height, i.e. "taller"

All of your "calculations" are fun and interesting although they do not relate to the exact tire dimensions because it is not a universal system, meaning, just like shoes we wear, any given "size" is not always the same as the next tire brand and model "size".

So, in the future, do your research first or ask a simple question for clarification before you try to negate a post.

Additionally, a "taller" tire, regardless of meaning actual diameter, or sidewall differences, is not necessarily going to yield deeper tread or traction. What makes for better snow traction in general is a smaller footprint. You in fact simply went to a larger tire and may not have even reduced the tread contact width by any meaningful amount. At best, you went from roughly 9.8" section to 9.6" section. .2" is in the right direction, but not much. Tire specs will show the tread depth for each size and while sometimes the depth increases, it is not more per every tire for each size upwards. Generally it increases by 1/32" at some point in the size range, but then from there on it's the same depth over many sizes again. Even if you went from one to the next and gained 1/32", it is not enough to matter.

Any traction you gained by having this taller tire, is only going to be realized if you are nearing the maximum clearance under the car in which case, gaining the 1/2" in tire sidewall, would be an advantage, or when going over particularly high speed bumps!
Have not been on the forums in a few days i have been busy. Just want to clarify a few thing. My post had no intention of "slamming you". However as i previously stated the sidewall height is .48 inches larger. So i assumed that it would be obvious that the tire is .96" "taller". The reason i listed the sidewall dimension rather than the overall diameter is because its more meaningful. I figured some people may want to see the clearance of the tire/wheel in comparison to their wheel wells.

You are correct by saying that a "taller" tire does not NECESSARILY yield deeper tread or traction. However in most cases and in this case it does. The Blizzaks that i am selling have a drastically deeper tread than the OEM ones that come on the car.

What makes for better snow traction as I already stated is yes a "smaller foot print" i stated that they are narrower hence the smaller footprint. I went from a staggered setup my widest tires being 275 to having a squared setup of 245's so yes I did reduce the "footprint". However this is not the only thing that helps with snow traction. There are a million other things to take into account such as the compound that the tire is made out of and again tread depth. The tread depth versus the OEM tread depth is drastically different as well as the tire compound. The OEM tires that my 550i have are summer performance tires, switching from summer performance tires or even all seasons and going to a winter tire and in this case a very good winter tire is going to yield a tremendous increase in snow traction.

I'm not exactly sure what the point of your argument is. You clearly have no interest in these wheels/ tires so i don't know why you are even posting in this thread. In addition to the fact it seems as though your intention of this post was to try and prove me wrong but you have not. Everything that I said was 100% right.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
Again, you are simply confusing things and probably other people here.

In other words, "taller" tires, do not necessarily equate to deeper tread depth, tires specified with deeper tread depth are the only way to know. Additionally, most tires across any given brand/model are within 1/32" anyway, the thickness of a fingernail, but sure, you might as well start off with the extra 1/32".

For the reasons you mentioned were important, you actually got the wrong tire size.

People often think they are getting "taller" tires because they see the sidewall numbers increase but in fact it is the skinny tire that is better in snow, which you went "toward" but not effectively enough to matter at all. The optimal size for the above mentioned purposes and reasoning, would have been 225/45x18. This would be only .3" taller diameter over oem 245/40x18, which is negligible in terms of speed and odometer and weight, but it would also be .9" narrower in section. That's where you would gain a worthwhile increase in snow traction.

You can like whatever you like for your own reasons, but do not confuse the dynamics of snow traction and tire dimensions.
You have already addressed this concern of yours in your previous post and i have already answered. Taller tires do no imply a deeper tread depth. However in most cases and in the case of the Blizzaks I am selling it does. Again the Blizzaks that I am selling do in fact have a deeper tread depth than the stock OEM tires. They are snow tires, generally a snow tire is going to have a deeper tread than a summer tire or all season especially if it also has a larger sidewall.
What are you talking about!!??
You stated that "People often think they are getting "taller" tires because they see the sidewall numbers increase but in fact it is the skinny tire that is better in snow, which you went "toward" but not effectively enough to matter at all."
Do you realize that that makes absolutely no sense. What does height ("taller") have to do with a tire being skinny. These are 2 separate issues. A tires height has nothing to do with its width!
Your "optimal size" is meaningless. I am not trying to drive my car through 3 feet of snow somewhere in Vancouver. This in not the car for that. The purpose of this setup is so that you can drive in reasonable amounts of snow. The kind of snow that we expect to see in the tri state area. I picked a setup that would accomplish that and would still look good on the car. Your imaginary settup would not look so great and the fact that it may have better so traction means nothing. This car is not some kind of snow plowing off road beast. Its never going to actually need that kind of traction because the front of the car would not even be able to have enough clearance to go through the snow.
I dont know why you are implying that my gained traction was meaningless because that is completely false. You don't even have to believe me when i tell you the amount of snow I went through all you have to do is read the specs on the Blizzaks that i am selling and read the specs on the Michelin summer tires that came on my car. The summer tires that my car was originally equipped with would not make it through a half inch of snow the Blizzaks however could make it though a substantial amount of snow with ease. Again your arguemt has no validity whatsoever.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Members

jwestpro
-I am not going to answer your other posts concerning issues you have because I have been contacted by th moderators to keep it on topic. If you have any other concerns though feel free to pm me
Old 12-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

Dillon.

I asked why you went with a taller tire than oem. I thought it was clear I meant comparing between the same type of blizzak, not your oem summer tire! That would be a silly comparison. Thus your answers were not "all true" as per all the issues I mentioned regarding the sizes.

No tread depth was gained and the contact patch is not smaller.

The optimal size is actually the most meaningful thing in this thread, partially bolstered by what you have said is important in a winter tire, "smaller contact patch". It is in fact the most appropriate winter tire size for this bmw using an 18"x8" rim. It would not "look" much different from the side either.

Your tire and wheel set is great and for someone in very little snow or the occasional snow, it will suffice just fine.

Your price is also very fair so I wish you good luck.

I am just a stickler for accurate facts. I also think you have an obligation to either list nothing about how the tires perform or you must also be truthful about the size issues. It is misleading to suggest this is the best tire size for the purpose on the 5 series car. A tire of this width can float on slush too much whereas a narrower one will cut through promoting better traction.

Maybe had you bothered to PM me back, I would have bought them already and not had to voice everything in the thread.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

Also, I apologize for sounding like I was attacking you. I just like things such as this to be accurate with all the info on the table. This tire and wheel combo would be great for someone.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Members

My Ride: Alpine White 550i Sport, SAT, MTech front and rear bumpers

Winter setup still available? If so, email me at moguidry@yahoo.com.

Thx

wvcajun