Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

AKG K171 Studio Professional Headphones

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I purchased these 4 months ago for $227.99 + tax (do the math =D) and they're in flawless condition.
My mind sparked when i saw that headphone thread in the lounge and i really wanna get rid of these.

They definitely sound better than my Bang & Olufsen headphones (Props to v_russian for sharing the same awesome headphones)
but the B&O headphones are more stylish and easier to carry around.

Great noise isolation and bass

OH and the jacks are gold plated

I'm gonna ask for $150 shipped

Product link : http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslav...anguage,EN.html
Old 05-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

very nice!

Originally Posted by siu0410' post='896168' date='May 31 2009, 08:18 PM
Hey guys,

I purchased these 4 months ago for $227.99 + tax (do the math =D) and they're in flawless condition.
My mind sparked when i saw that headphone thread in the lounge and i really wanna get rid of these.

They definitely sound better than my Bang & Olufsen headphones (Props to v_russian for sharing the same awesome headphones)

Old 05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by siu0410' post='896168' date='May 31 2009, 11:18 PM
Hey guys,

Agreed on B&Os being more of a fashion item than an audiophile set - I only use them for ipods and iphone when I'm on a plane or subway. That said, out of smaller "earbud" type earphones, B&Os are the best I've heard - bar none.

When you go into a proper headphone territory - such as this studio set - there's no comparisons. Actually, most people that know about music and audio equipment will tell you that you'll never hear music as accurately from loudspeaker - ANY speakers, as you would in good monitor-quality headphones.

These have a frequency response of 18 to 26.000 Hz, which means that they have a really strong membrane for bass, as well as the mids and highs. Remember, anything outside of 20-20,000 Hz range is not heard by a human ear. But most audiophiles will tell you that that area outside of human hearing - though not heard - is definitely felt. Hence, the further your monitor goes outside of this range, the better.

However, frequency response is not gonna give you the entire "picture". What you should do ideally, is hear the headphones you're buying, before commiting to them. Just like speakers, amps, HD TVs, BlueRay players and all that good stuff, for that matter - you should hear, watch and test it out before spending big $$$. My point being, don't be surprised if a certain professional set of audio equipment doesn't live up to your expectations, as each has strengths and weaknesses - each set is designed for certain things and there're sets that are best for hip-hop, then there are sets for opera - not necessarily the same set...

Lastly, check out Audiogon Forums for excellent reviews and opinions.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Contributors

Yep The B&Os are handsdown the most fashionable headphones i've ever used and seen =D

The only downside to them is that the noise isolation is not that great.

Sound quality is exceptional and they're perfect for running and the gym though =D
Old 06-01-2009, 04:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by siu0410' post='896540' date='Jun 1 2009, 08:12 AM
Yep The B&Os are handsdown the most fashionable headphones i've ever used and seen =D

The only downside to them is that the noise isolation is not that great.

Sound quality is exceptional and they're perfect for running and the gym though =D
If you sweat, I'd not use them in the gym - they tend to sort of not like that. When I work out, I don't really listen to the nuances of a recording - I have some house or hip-hop on full blast and I concentrate on my movements. So I just take the OEM Apple earbuds - they came with the thing and I don't care if I drop a 45 wieght on them and crush them. Whereas my B&Os are kind of expensive to crush with a 45, not to mention, I don't want them to deteriorate from all that extra stress.

BTW I've had mine for about 6 years now and they've been very reliable over the entire span. So even if you are overpaying, it is a well-made item, so your costs spread out over a longer period of time - in my case, 6+ years, so its basically at less than 15 bucks per year for me. And even if you get them at MSRP, its still well worth, as the sound quality is and always was excellent.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 AM
Contributors

Yeah, i heard u got them from hk at a good price.
Sadly i got them at hk too! but for like... $200 ish USD hehe
Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by siu0410' post='896547' date='Jun 1 2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, i heard u got them from hk at a good price.
Sadly i got them at hk too! but for like... $200 ish USD hehe
I got them waaaaaaaaaay back in the day though - it was, I think, 1999 or 2000... wow, can't believe they still "run like new" I did abuse them a little bit hahaha