Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

For you hardy cold area outdoor car buffs

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 06:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

This was on my NASA web site and I thought of some of you folks around the world.
The link at end of article is what I found doing a search on the product.

""NASA technology in new anti-icing windshield spray
NASA NEWS RELEASE
Posted: January 25, 2006

A new product using a NASA-based technology might make winter just a little easier to endure for those living in parts of the U.S. where snow and ice are common.

Ice Free is a spray for automobile windshields that can provide protection up to minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit, according to its producers, WorldSource Inc. Applied prior to inclement weather, it prevents ice or snow from bonding on windshield surfaces.

"As we continue to explore the universe, we are proud that NASA's pioneering efforts keep fueling American creativity, innovation and technology development," said David Morse, acting chief, Technology Partnerships Division at NASA Ames Research Center, located in California's Silicon Valley. "This new product is yet another example of the additional dividends Americans reap from their investment in space exploration."

The technology that led to the creation of Ice Free is based on an anti-icing fluid developed by a three-engineer team at NASA Ames. The team designed a non-toxic fluid to keep ice from building up on airplanes. At the time, the anti-icing fluid was hailed for making flying safer, without introducing dangerous chemicals into the environment.

In fact, the fluid was biodegradable and so environmentally safe that it was referred to as "food grade," because the ingredients used in its creation were approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use in food.

When the invention was announced in 1997 by co-inventors Leonard Haslim, John Zuk and Robert Lockyer of NASA Ames, the fluid was said to be able to prevent ice build-up on airplane wings and also on automobile windshields, a feature retained in the new product.

"A commuter is much more likely to start his drive without having to spend the time scraping ice and snow off the car windows. We feel it is a great product, and we thank NASA for the opportunity to market Ice Free," said Brian Jue, chief executive officer, WorldSource Inc., which is currently marketing Ice Free on the Internet and in television advertisements.

"I often heard how advancements due to NASA research and development help mankind enormously and, if you live in an icy part of the U.S., this is further proof of the accuracy of that statement," said Bob Harrick, president of WorldSource. "NASA technology played a key role in the development of this very useful product."

WorldSource is a developer and distributor of products for the consumer marketplace. It has established an experienced management team with considerable expertise in the development, manufacturing, marketing and distribution of consumer products""

http://www.worldsourceinc.net/icefree.htm
Old 01-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Great hint cobradav

Volvo is has as an extra wather despise windows.

What would we do without the moon crazy people and NASA
The NASA has over the years developed a lot of useful innovations!
Old 01-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

NICE did you invent that cobradav?

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='230464' date='Jan 27 2006, 07:11 AM
What would we do without the moon crazy people and NASA
The NASA has over the years developed a lot of useful innovations!

Without the Moon people we goto the military people.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='230459' date='Jan 27 2006, 10:03 AM
This was on my NASA web site and I thought of some of you folks around the world.

NASA NEWS RELEASE

A new product using a NASA-based technology might make winter just a little easier to endure for those living in parts of the U.S. where snow and ice are common.

Ice Free is a spray for automobile windshields that can provide protection up to minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit, according to its producers, WorldSource Inc. Applied prior to inclement weather, it prevents ice or snow from bonding on windshield surfaces.

"As we continue to explore the universe, we are proud that NASA's pioneering efforts keep fueling American creativity, innovation and technology development," said David Morse, acting chief, Technology Partnerships Division at NASA Ames Research Center, located in California's Silicon Valley. "This new product is yet another example of the additional dividends Americans reap from their investment in space exploration."

The technology that led to the creation of Ice Free is based on an anti-icing fluid developed by a three-engineer team at NASA Ames. The team designed a non-toxic fluid to keep ice from building up on airplanes. At the time, the anti-icing fluid was hailed for making flying safer, without introducing dangerous chemicals into the environment.

In fact, the fluid was biodegradable and so environmentally safe that it was referred to as "food grade," because the ingredients used in its creation were approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use in food.

When the invention was announced in 1997 by co-inventors Leonard Haslim, John Zuk and Robert Lockyer of NASA Ames, the fluid was said to be able to prevent ice build-up on airplane wings and also on automobile windshields, a feature retained in the new product.

"A commuter is much more likely to start his drive without having to spend the time scraping ice and snow off the car windows. We feel it is a great product, and we thank NASA for the opportunity to market Ice Free," said Brian Jue, chief executive officer, WorldSource Inc., which is currently marketing Ice Free on the Internet and in television advertisements.

"I often heard how advancements due to NASA research and development help mankind enormously and, if you live in an icy part of the U.S., this is further proof of the accuracy of that statement," said Bob Harrick, president of WorldSource. "NASA technology played a key role in the development of this very useful product."

WorldSource is a developer and distributor of products for the consumer marketplace. It has established an experienced management team with considerable expertise in the development, manufacturing, marketing and distribution of consumer products""

Interesting; I've forwarded this to some of our techies here at work, where we have worked with airports to reduce runoff and recycle drainage capture for aircraft de-icing activity.

Closer to your point though, if this stuff breaks the bond of water (freezing) to the windshield, that may be fine for surfaced scrubbed by an airstream. But what about surfaces "scrubbed" by rubber blades? Or put another way, does this stuff degrade windshield wiper contact?

Seeing that it has been around for 10 years, is this the same as Rain-X or whatever that water-repellant is?

Will the real chemist pleases stand up???
Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 01-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='230485

NASA NEWS RELEASE

Interesting; I've forwarded this to some of our techies here at work, where we have worked with airports to reduce runoff and recycle drainage capture for aircraft de-icing activity.

Closer to your point though, if this stuff breaks the bond of water (freezing) to the windshield, that may be fine for surfaced scrubbed by an airstream. But what about surfaces "scrubbed" by rubber blades? Or put another way, does this stuff degrade windshield wiper contact?

Seeing that it has been around for 10 years, is this the same as Rain-X or whatever that water-repellant is?

Will the real chemist pleases stand up???
Cheers,
Ray Hull
[/quote]

Not same as rain-X and is just now becoming commercially available even though NASA scientist invented 8 years ago. Since it is listed as completely biodegradable and as a food equivalent then I have to suppose no harm to function of wiper blades. But only you can satisfy the testing requirements for u to answer in your application. Personally, garaging my vehicles in Florida should never require MY use of this product