Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

"When Your Best Sound System Is in the Car"

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

So anybody know who makes the speakers in our cars? Is it by Harmon Kardon also?

(never heard of HK making speakers....def not their specialty)
Old 02-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

I would just like High Definition Stereo on the M5 -- by any manufacturer.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='240773' date='Feb 15 2006, 05:52 PM
I am happy with my system...No LG7 but still it sounds good!
I paid for the H/K pro7, but I listen mostly to the news. So any sound sys is good sound to me. The commentators voice is a little more accurate big deal in news radio.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Does anyone know if I can get my 8-track player hooked into the I-drive?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='240998' date='Feb 16 2006, 04:50 AM

Got to say I really don't like the Logic 7 system in the BMW, too much top and bottom and not alot else.

Personally I am going to put a Genesis amp in mine and some Rainbow Components, superb speakers and a great price for what they are.

But I am sure there are others that love the L7 sound, I had a Lexcicon MC8 processor at home for a while and hated that too though, and now I am back with Meridian processor and Classe amp, so I guess I just like a really laid back sound, I like to be able to play it loud and it never get shrill.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='240758' date='Feb 16 2006, 01:17 AM
[...]
Dynaudio would be a good choice for BMW to partner with... although I think Volvo is using them. But in the high-end aftermarket world, Dynaudio speakers are among the best you can find.
[...]
Dynaudio just partnered last year with Volkswagen for their new Passat. They have some PR explaining this new partnership and some words about their system. What I can recall is that they designed the doors and trim around the speakers from Dynaudio with the help in positioning from Dynaudio.

Dynaudio for Volkswagen Passat
Old 02-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

If Audi were to use Dynaudio as well.... that would be reason enough for me to start considering Audi instead of BMW.

BMW had better get to work researching exactly what high-end audio really means... because it looks like they are getting left in the dark.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='241117' date='Feb 16 2006, 02:33 PM
If Audi were to use Dynaudio as well.... that would be reason enough for me to start considering Audi instead of BMW.

BMW had better get to work researching exactly what high-end audio really means... because it looks like they are getting left in the dark.
I played with Dynaudio on Passat and I was not impressed. However I am very happy with Logic7 I have. I wonder why don't you like Logic7. As far as I know, Harman/Kardonn are very good at what they're doing. Dynaudio are very good only speaker-wise. Otherwise...
Old 02-16-2006, 03:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='240998' date='Feb 15 2006, 11:50 PM
I use cassette deck
Old 02-16-2006, 03:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I am not surprised you did not like the Dynaudio. At the end of the day, while they make great speakers.... they are still going into a Volkswagon... so they would obviously sound like crap by default.
Most likely, they are using terrible quality ampfliers and source units. The best speakers in the world will sound like crap if they don't have good source material and good amplifers.

In fact, a bad quality speaker with a good amp can sound fine.... but a great speaker with a bad amp can never sound good.

I dislike the Logic 7 primarily because I spent much of my teen years with aftermarket car audio as my hobby.

I had a $16,000 stereo in my old Acura Legend. And a $20,000 stereo in my Lexus after that.

However, cars today have begun to use so much integrated computer technology, that removing a radio head unit is not as simple as it was in my day. While I fully understand there are workarounds for the E60... my years of experience have taught me that messing with an $80,000 car is not the best idea.

My problems with the Logic 7:

1. Without using the Logic 7 processors, I am unable to achieve good stereo imaging. When L7 is off, the vocals sound like they are coming from the back left side of the car. I have attempted adjusting the balance and fader controls to correct this, without success. However, with the Logic 7 turned on.... vocals are routed to the center channel speaker, thereby improving the stereo image dramatically.

2. Logic 7 processing distorts badly. I constantly hear processing artifacts when using the L7. It drives me nuts.... but I must accept this problem because not having a solid frontal image bothers me more than the artifacts.

3. Power. The Logic 7 does not have enough power for my taste. I listen to the L7 at full blast, and still want more. Now.... you must first understand that I only listen to electronic dance music which I record at home, or mixes which I have remastered at home in my studio. I never use compression on my recordings, which means my recordings are not as loud as a standard audio CD from a store. I do this for sound quality... but the tradeoff is volume. Therefore, my recordings have a greater need for a high-power system, and the Logic 7 can't deliver.

4. Component quality. Along with the artifacts heard when the Logic 7 is turned on.... I can frequently hear the speakers themselves coloring the sound. Since I record my own material, my knowledge of what it should really sound like is very good. So when I hear a stereo system coloring the sound, it is obvious to me. This happens constantly with the stereo in my BMW.

Now.... I will admit that, for a factory installed stereo, the Logic 7 is among the best I have heard. But that is not saying much. The term "factory audio" , as far as any audiophile is concerned, is laughable. It's all just so bad, that we can't even consider it. Some are better than others, but none are "good."

Quick Reply: "When Your Best Sound System Is in the Car"