Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Sirius Video vs In-Car DVD and General FYI

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Sirius announced that they will be providing streaming video starting next year.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...us_microsoft_dc

I was really bummed when i found out my car did not come sat prep. I went with a portable model instead. I love the price since installation was free (self install). I wish I could go through the steering wheel controls to adjust my stations. But in hindsight i don't mind using my current set up.

There's been a few Sirius related posts lately. I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the board. THe following is not an endorsement which install is best. I just wanted those know these are some things you should consider.

Pluses: For Sirius install with BMW
1) seemless integrations with existing stereo system
2) no additional/unnecessary wires
3) hidden components (in the trunk)
4) one time set up/installation fee.

Minuses:
1) Sirius technology is changing very quickly. New models are coming out, smaller, better features. Not able to upgrade or exchange equipment without paying $400-600.
2) Limited products. Stereo manufacturer generally do not make as many units specifically for BMW or any other cars (rather for the masses)

Pluses: for portable models
1) As new models come out, I can upgrade cheaply compared to going through BMW
2) Portable. Can take my radio from my car to my office.
3) Repairs?? Just replace at $100.

Minuses:
1) Extra wires near/in the dash
2) No seemless integration with stereo
3) Must go through FM Modulator or Aux input

CAUTION: Sirius Contracts
Consider this if you are thinking about getting an annual or life time contract with Sirius (i'm not sure about XM). The contracts are not for you but for the radio. This means if you decide to sell the car, the contract goes with the radio. It is not transferrable to your new unit. If you decide to get a new model, then you have to sign another contract with Sirius. It seems silly. I know.

Teriyaki
Old 01-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Members

That reminds me of TiVo, when you get the lifetime service it is service for that box, so if you sell the box, there goes the TiVo service. This was the case 2 years ago, but not sure how it is now.

Would the BMW units be able to handle Sirius Video, or is their something we would have to add to our cars in addition to the regular Sirius stuff?

Peace
Old 01-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't imagine that the current units will support streaming video. There would need to be a bunch of MPEG decoders or something to enable the thing to output video, etc.

I'm sure when this is rolled out, all current Sirius receivers will have to be upgraded to newer units...
Old 01-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

I forgot add this.

If you have Sirius subscription, you can listen to their music via PC/Mac. I use this everyday at work and when I travel. Hook up my laptop, go to their web site and voila!! I got music on my PC. This is free of charge. XM charges you a monthly fee. XM is $10 + $3 for internet stream. Sirius: $13 flat. Basically same cost.

Teriyaki
Old 01-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Me too. I often stream the audio to my PC.

During the Christmas holidays, I took their holiday music stream and piped it all through my house by using the PC and some wireless speakers...
Old 01-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

TiVo is completely obsolete now anyway.

My cable company has a cable box with digital recording.... only $6 per month for the box.... and no need for the wacky TiVo remote control IR repeater thingy.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jan 19 2005, 07:49 PM

My cable company has a cable box with digital recording....? only $6 per month for the box....? and no need for the wacky TiVo remote control IR repeater thingy.
[snapback]80968[/snapback]
Definetly OT, but there are a few people at tivocommunity.com that may disagree with you.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jan 19 2005, 08:49 PM

My cable company has a cable box with digital recording....? only $6 per month for the box....? and no need for the wacky TiVo remote control IR repeater thingy.
[snapback]80968[/snapback]

I don't find mine onsolete, although it does have the built=on DVD recorder...a must have for kids shows on the go. Highly recommended if you have mobile video and kids.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

I've have 5 ReplayTV units and a PC acting as a video server all networked together. I never even see commercials -- the machines automatically skip them without me having to do anything.

No way (at this point in time) can the cable company match the functionality of my system.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Members

Taking a step back TiVo is NOT obsolete! I too have the new Comcast Cable DVR with HD, and yes it only costs $5 a month, here are some pro's and cons about the Comcast DVR:

Pro: 1)You can Record in HDTV
2)You can record 2 shows at the same time(includes 2 HD programs at the same time)
3) $5 a month is a good deal

Cons: 1) Very bad menu system(Not user friendly when compared to TiVo)
2) Remote is also below par
3) Setting up a season pass(they don't call it that) seems easy, however sometimes the season pass doesn't register, so when your show Should record, it doesn't

In conclusion I have had my 30 hour TiVo since the original drop 6 years ago in '99, it cost $799 when it first droped. TiVo is much more reliable and faster. How can you say obsolete when TiVo announced its connection to Blockbuster, which will allow you to download(Rent) movies thru Blockbuster Via TiVo.

I will continue to use the Comcast DVR strictly for the fact it records in HDTV, at the same time my TiVo will still be in the Mix. Now with both of them I can Record 3 different show and watch a 4th all at the same time, Now that is Maximizing!!

Trust Me TiVo is not going anywhere anytime soon, but undoubtedly they are taking a hit because of the Comcast DVR, so soon they will introduce some very enticing specials.

sorry to go so far off topic, just had to say that.

Peace

Quick Reply: Sirius Video vs In-Car DVD and General FYI