Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

road and track comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

First, a few things about myself. I consider myself a car guy. But, I have never had the funds to be a true car guy, so I got most of the information from other sources - such as car magazines (like road and track). I could quote engine horsepower for every car made and the 0-60 times. I currently (and for a few more weeks) drive an oldsmobile alero gx and have always been a die hard GM fan. Except for this car, no GM car that I ever owned lasted more than 40K miles before the cost of ownership was too much.
I recently decided to take the plunge and buy a real car. I looked to my trusted sources and saw that the cadillac CTS won a comparsion among 6 cars (See road and track article from 2004) that included the new BMW 530i. So I went to drive the cadillac first and buy one. The time was right - huge rebates, it was a GM car, my wife gave me permission to buy a new car. I went and drove one and guess what - it was jsut a car. That was the only way to describe it. Without the Nav it looked like the car was incomplete on the inside - just a 10 inch square blank plastic panel. I left dissappointed and decided that since my alero was just as mush fun to drive I would just keep it.
Then, a few weeks later I went and drove the BMW's. Loved them all (3 and 5 series - all 06's). Could not believe something could be so much fun to drive. I wanted a 3 series but my wife liked the 5 - so I now have a 530xi on order. Inever even drove the MB, Audi, or Acura RL. I have driven the MB and Audi in the past - friends cars - and they were OK. I wanted to go drive tha Acura, but I fell asleep looking at the picture.
Anyway, I do have a point...Road and Track lost a customer becasue of such a poor review. Nothing even close to what reality is.
Aside - the idrive is cool. Car critics hwo hate it remind me of my father in law who still goes to a bank for deposits, withdraws, and checks. He says he does not need on line banking. No you don't, but I can not image life without an ATM card, debit card, on line banking, etc.
Anyway, that is my loooong thought on the subject - hope it made sense - I have to go take care of my six kids now
Old 10-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dgjk' date='Oct 18 2005, 02:39 PM
First, a few things about myself.? I consider myself a car guy.? But, I have never had the funds to be a true car guy, so I got most of the information from other sources - such as car magazines (like road and track).? I could quote engine horsepower for every car made and the 0-60 times.? I currently (and for a few more weeks) drive an oldsmobile alero gx and have always been a die hard GM fan.? Except for this car, no GM car that I ever owned lasted more than 40K miles before the cost of ownership was too much.
I recently decided to take the plunge and buy a real car.? I looked to my trusted sources and saw that the cadillac CTS won a comparsion among 6 cars (See road and track article from 2004) that included the new BMW 530i.? So I went to drive the cadillac first and buy one.? The time was right - huge rebates, it was a GM car, my wife gave me permission to buy a new car.? I went and drove one and guess what - it was jsut a car.? That was the only way to describe it.? Without the Nav it looked like the car was incomplete on the inside - just a 10 inch square blank plastic panel.? I left dissappointed and decided that since my alero was just as mush fun to drive I would just keep it.
Then, a few weeks later I went and drove the BMW's.? Loved them all (3 and 5 series - all 06's).? Could not believe something could be so much fun to drive.? I wanted a 3 series but my wife liked the 5 - so I now have a 530xi on order.? Inever even drove the MB, Audi, or Acura RL.? I have driven the MB and Audi in the past - friends cars - and they were OK.? I wanted to go drive tha Acura, but I fell asleep looking at the picture.
Anyway, I do have a point...Road and Track lost a customer becasue of such a poor review.? Nothing even close to what reality is.?
Aside - the idrive is cool.? Car critics hwo hate it remind me of my father in law who still goes to a bank for deposits, withdraws, and checks.? He says he does not need on line banking.? No you don't, but I can not image life without an ATM card, debit card, on line banking, etc.
Anyway, that is my loooong thought on the subject - hope it made sense - I have to go take care of my six kids now
[snapback]185869[/snapback]
Congratulations on getting a real car. I went through the exact same thought processes as I WAS a diehard GM guy, myself. GM doesn't have anything that can touch the 5, in my opinion.

The I-drive bashing has just gotten old. Old timer need not apply, like you said. For those that are older on this forum, don't take offense, as you can be 30 and still old. Your thoughts on I-Drive are dead on.

Good Luck and be sure and post some pics when the new baby arrives!!!

Regards, Mike.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by mehall2' date='Oct 18 2005, 05:18 PM
The I-drive bashing has just gotten old.? Old timer need not apply, like you said.? For those that are older on this forum, don't take offense, as you can be 30 and still old.? ? ? Your thoughts on I-Drive are dead on.?

I am 56 and love I-Drive. Does that mean I am not old?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by Gray Dog' post='186077' date='Oct 19 2005, 05:08 AM
[quote name='mehall2' date='Oct 18 2005, 05:18 PM']The I-drive bashing has just gotten old.? Old timer need not apply, like you said.? For those that are older on this forum, don't take offense, as you can be 30 and still old.? ? ? Your thoughts on I-Drive are dead on.?

[/quote]

NO!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Gray Dog' post='186077' date='Oct 19 2005, 06:08 AM
[quote name='mehall2' date='Oct 18 2005, 05:18 PM']The I-drive bashing has just gotten old.? Old timer need not apply, like you said.? For those that are older on this forum, don't take offense, as you can be 30 and still old.? ? ? Your thoughts on I-Drive are dead on.?

[/quote]
Geezz they allow u young pups to play with gadgets like iDrive I thought only us WISE ones could break the code

Oh and dgjk - good points all on your comments about car magazines. I have long used them just to get early info on what's out there, but ya just gotta go and find out the rest for yourself. Nobody knows what's in your head and heart but u