Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Road and Track 550i

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='291956' date='Jun 3 2006, 10:37 AM
Apples to grapes.
That's what R&T finally admitted ... "The final tally: These two cars are of different lineage and are not true competitors."
Just to confirm the 550i #s:
1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds at 105.0 mph
0-60 in 5.0 sec.
braking from 80 mph 212 ft. (8 feet shorter than the Lexus)
Slalom speed 65.3 mph (Lexus did 60.7 mph)
Interior noise @ constant 70 mph = 68 dBA (Lexus = 66 dBA)

Best lines:
"The 550i's agility is extraordinary"
"The Lexus can't hold a candle to the feedback of the BMW chasis"
"When comparing the two, it is easy to distinguish which has race-car lineage and which wants to be a space pod."

Finally, where did they get a U.S. 550i with such a cool looking interior color scheme? The leather color looks more like Truffle Brown or Portland Brown than Beige. And the interior trim includes some black leather, such as the center arm rest cover, the door armrests, speaker grill covers, door handle trim, and even the seat belt straps are black. I want this interior.
Attached Thumbnails Road and Track 550i-r_t_550_interior.jpg  
Old 06-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

This must be the July issue? I just checked June.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:23 PM
SRV
Members

Originally Posted by Member545' post='292474' date='Jun 4 2006, 06:42 PM
This must be the July issue? I just checked June.
Is this the July Issue???? I checked June and didn't see the article.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='292435' date='Jun 4 2006, 02:20 PM
.....Finally, where did they get a U.S. 550i with such a cool looking interior color scheme? The leather color looks more like Truffle Brown or Portland Brown than Beige. And the interior trim includes some black leather, such as the center arm rest cover, the door armrests, speaker grill covers, door handle trim, and even the seat belt straps are black. I want this interior.
That's very interesting......that must be Truffle Brown because not only does it look like Truffle Brown but the top surfaces of the armrests are black, which is the color scheme of a Truffle Brown interior.

I tried to order Truffle Brown but BMW NA did not let me. I'm not too upset though because I LOVE my Auburn now.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='291916' date='Jun 3 2006, 09:25 PM
I have a couple of things to say on this topic. First of all ARS is THE ONLY reason I bought a 550 over a 530xi. I thought that the handling was far superior and not at all artificial. I really think that for him to call it artificial, he must have been on crack or something because that observation is absolutely wrong. If ARS was offered in an all-wheel drive I would have bought it. I simply chose better handling and a lot more power over the ability to be able to get around better in bad weather.

Second of all, I don't care what the article says or what the stats are on the Lexus. I still consider it to be an old man's car and do not give them, or most anything else Japanese a second glance on the road. To me, they lack character, cache or just about anything I look for in buying a car, performance aside. My father's friend, who is appropriately in his 70s has an LS430. I looked at it, drove it and cannot believe this is the best they could come up with. It neither feels or looks impressive. matter of fact, I think it's rather ordinary looking. When I asked him about what he liked best about it, it was those sensors that tell him how far he is from another car when parking. Wooo Hooo. Maybe when I retire, move to West Palm and wear a colostomy bag I will feel different but right now compare it to anything you'd like and I will take my 550.
So what's the reaction of your father's friend when you told him about the PDC in our Bimmer that does exactly that.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='292435' date='Jun 5 2006, 05:20 AM
That's what R&T finally admitted ... "The final tally: These two cars are of different lineage and are not true competitors."
0-60 in 5.0 sec.

Best lines:
"When comparing the two, it is easy to distinguish which has race-car lineage and which wants to be a space pod."

Finally, where did they get a U.S. 550i with such a cool looking interior color scheme? The leather color looks more like Truffle Brown or Portland Brown than Beige. And the interior trim includes some black leather, such as the center arm rest cover, the door armrests, speaker grill covers, door handle trim, and even the seat belt straps are black. I want this interior.
Sorry but this interior is :thumbsdown: compare with the auburn. Don't know why but this interior looks like scrapyard material to me like take a black parts here and a beige part there (or whatever colour that is) and mix it all in. Just my opinion, don't shoot me if you don't agree.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='292435' date='Jun 4 2006, 04:20 PM
0-60 in 5.0 sec.

Best lines:

What were the Lexus numbers? I'm disappointed the tested the stick vs. the auto - the Lexus does not come in stick and it should be a fair fight.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s
Cool

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='292778' date='Jun 5 2006, 12:07 PM
What were the Lexus numbers? I'm disappointed the tested the stick vs. the auto - the Lexus does not come in stick and it should be a fair fight.
Agree. But, the Lexus would get smoked by the Step too. Heck, if any of the drivers were less than top notch, the Step results might have been better than manual.

CVT Benhogan
Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='292435' date='Jun 4 2006, 04:20 PM
Just to confirm the 550i #s: [LEXUS #s]
1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds at 105.0 mph [13.8 sec @ 105.4 mph]
0-60 in 5.0 sec. [5.3 sec]
Old 06-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by BMWP' post='291793' date='Jun 2 2006, 06:30 PM
I haven't seen that article yet. Another article I read on the 2007 550i had gripes about the lack of steering feel with the active steering and the artificial feeling of the active roll stabilization. I'm looking to purchase a 550i but have not driven one with those features. Does yours have them or have you an opinion on them ?
I have an 04-545i with active steering and active roll. I almost did not buy it due to the mags giving the active steering and i-drive such a poor review. I did anyways and have been nothing but HAPPY with the car.

The truth is, if you are a very seasoned driver, driving the car on a track and pushing it to the limit, you may not like the feel of the active steering. For me; 80% freeway, 20% around town, and the occasional SoCal mountain roads - I love it and have no complaints.

I would buy the active steering again and the active roll is outstanding - great roll characteristics and handling without a ride compromise. Sure you will get a comparable ride from a non active roll car, but you will not get the handling. And, if you get the handling, you will not have the softer ride. I noticed this when driving my buddies 540 sport.

Quick Reply: Road and Track 550i