Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

NOVEMBER 2006 BIMMER MAGAZINE

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by GOLD PANDA' post='332356' date='Sep 8 2006, 12:38 PM
Hey there!

Wow, that's great that you already got a hold of this issue! Still nothing yet here in the Bay Area unfortunately. Yep, that Dinan stuff is all amazing. He's really established himself, given all the positive accolades and tributes they have received over the past couple of decades.

Hum, without divulging too much juicy details, was curious what the article had to say about the Dinan tuned 545. Could you share any tidbits with us?? Thumbs up or down??

BEST REGARDS
It was a good article. It didn't dive into it too much, compared to the M3, but it basically said that for around $6K you could get your car to just about the same stats as the new 550 (10 HP less and 17 lb-ft less) without having to dump your 545 to get a new car that would cost much more out of pocket. They don't use the JRZ shocks that they use on the M3, but say that affordablitity and effectiveness are still superior to stock. However, after reading the R&D on the JRZ's in the M# article, I think spending the extra $1K on these shocks are well worth it, if they have them avail for the E60. The down side to the article was that they use a Step Transmission for the review, so they couldn't do all the upgraded Dinan mods to get the full potential out of the car (flywheel and differential). My guess is that if you have the 6 speed and add these mods, you're looking at similar stats to the 550.

Again though, you should definitely start out by reading the article about the M3. It gives you better insight into Dinan's capabilities, engineering and how they are constantly testing new mods for all model cars.

Too bad I moved back from San Francisco 2 years ago. Otherwise, I'd be living down at Dinan with my new car.

Oh and the 3rd car they review is the Dinan S2 Mini, but I don't consider that a BMW...and it only gets a 1 page review with 1 photo.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Members

My Ride: Fully loaded Dinan Tuned E60 545i Sports Sedan, featuring Dinan high flow intake system, Dinan free flow exhaust, Dinan high flow throttle body, Dinan Stage 3 Performance Engine Management Software, Dinan camber plates, Dinan carbon fiber strut tower brace, Dinan 19" lightweight forged wheelset, Dinan/Brembo GT big brake system, Dinan Polished Aluminum Pedal Kit, BMW "M" footrest, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT's, OEM rear deck spoiler, OEM sun/wind deflector, OEM illuminated BMW door sills, debadged (official "Dinan 5 badging"/emblem earned).

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='332405' date='Sep 8 2006, 01:54 PM
It was a good article. It didn't dive into it too much, compared to the M3, but it basically said that for around $6K you could get your car to just about the same stats as the new 550 (10 HP less and 17 lb-ft less) without having to dump your 545 to get a new car that would cost much more out of pocket. They don't use the JRZ shocks that they use on the M3, but say that affordablitity and effectiveness are still superior to stock. However, after reading the R&D on the JRZ's in the M# article, I think spending the extra $1K on these shocks are well worth it, if they have them avail for the E60. The down side to the article was that they use a Step Transmission for the review, so they couldn't do all the upgraded Dinan mods to get the full potential out of the car (flywheel and differential). My guess is that if you have the 6 speed and add these mods, you're looking at similar stats to the 550.

Again though, you should definitely start out by reading the article about the M3. It gives you better insight into Dinan's capabilities, engineering and how they are constantly testing new mods for all model cars.

Too bad I moved back from San Francisco 2 years ago. Otherwise, I'd be living down at Dinan with my new car.

Oh and the 3rd car they review is the Dinan S2 Mini, but I don't consider that a BMW...and it only gets a 1 page review with 1 photo.
Thanks a lot for the info here! Really appreciate it! Unfortunately, I'm one of those few (sounds like) with the step transmission. I know, I know, pretty tame, but to each their own!

This said though, still very pleased with the overall performance gains since going the Dinan route. To be perfectly honest also, I be lucky if I could even utilize 70% (if that much) of my car's overall performance attributes. Also, what I really like about my Dinan tuned car now is that deep throaty sound I get whenever I turn her over!

The sound has definite presence, yet it's very civil. Truly music to my ears! Yes, I've read about their Dinan Tuned M3 in other publications as well. What an absolute monster, as well as engineering marvel.

Yep, that Steve Dinan is one knowledgeable and passionate engineer. We're all fortunate enough he chose to mod BMW's (and now Minis) over the years and enjoying his good work in the process. THANKS AGAIN!

BEST REGARDS
Old 09-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

The latest edition of European Car magazine has an article on the S3R-M3 as well as the Cooper S. They probably used the same info from the press meet for both magazines. Wonder why European Car didn't include the 545 write up.

When I first took my car there back in Feb, they were going to let me test drive their 545 but it was hooked up to the dyno that day. The last time I checked, that car also has their air mass meter and software running on it for beta testing.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Contributors

BTW, where are you located in the Bay Area Gold Panda?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: Fully loaded Dinan Tuned E60 545i Sports Sedan, featuring Dinan high flow intake system, Dinan free flow exhaust, Dinan high flow throttle body, Dinan Stage 3 Performance Engine Management Software, Dinan camber plates, Dinan carbon fiber strut tower brace, Dinan 19" lightweight forged wheelset, Dinan/Brembo GT big brake system, Dinan Polished Aluminum Pedal Kit, BMW "M" footrest, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT's, OEM rear deck spoiler, OEM sun/wind deflector, OEM illuminated BMW door sills, debadged (official "Dinan 5 badging"/emblem earned).

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='332496' date='Sep 8 2006, 05:21 PM
BTW, where are you located in the Bay Area Gold Panda?

Hey again!

I'm here in the gorgeous city by the bay, San Francisco.

BTW, really love your SJ area also, in particular Santana Row!

Nice place and even nicer folks!

BEST REGARDS
Old 09-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributors

YES. Santana Row! That's where I'm headed to in the next hour for drinks.

I'll actually be in SF on and off the next 2 weeks. Staying at the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf this coming week and then Club Quarters the following week. Maybe we can meet up and check out each other's car.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='332528' date='Sep 8 2006, 07:33 PM
YES. Santana Row! That's where I'm headed to in the next hour for drinks.

I'll actually be in SF on and off the next 2 weeks. Staying at the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf this coming week and then Club Quarters the following week. Maybe we can meet up and check out each other's car.
Ha! That's funny. My company just dropped Starwood and went with Club Quarters. Everyone is pissed. Let me know how that hotel is. I always stay at the Westin St. Francis in Union Square.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Contributors

cman, I'll give you an update on Club Quarters after I stay there next week.

As for the article, I just read it and I think they made a mistake when they quoted $6K for the "engine mods". The retail total for the parts is $3K (exhaust, intake, throttle body). Even if you count the suspension package with the strut brace, it's still less than $5K.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='333942' date='Sep 13 2006, 02:00 AM
cman, I'll give you an update on Club Quarters after I stay there next week.

As for the article, I just read it and I think they made a mistake when they quoted $6K for the "engine mods". The retail total for the parts is $3K (exhaust, intake, throttle body). Even if you count the suspension package with the strut brace, it's still less than $5K.
Does that include install as well? If so, that's not bad at all...
Old 09-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='332080' date='Sep 7 2006, 07:20 PM
I'm still trying to synch up with my sales guy to get the Dinan badge.

Here's the latest word I just received from Dinan on this!

Oh well, as they often say in life, the best things are worth waiting for.

Perhaps in time for XMAS 06'????

BEST REGARDS

I am sorry to inform you that the badge for the 545 is not yet available. We are expecting it to be finished in the next 2-3 months. We will keep your request and process as soon as the badge is available.

Thanks

Eric Diamond

eric.diamond@dinancars.com

W: 408-779-8584 x132

Cell: 408-829-6015

Quick Reply: NOVEMBER 2006 BIMMER MAGAZINE